2 or 3 quarter of calculus? and...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack555

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I take 2 quarters of Calculus or 3. I only need one for my major so it is only for pharmacy school. Every schools I know of just wants 2 quarters. Do you guys think I should just go ahead and take that third quarter or no?

And for my major I can take Calculus based physics or trig based physics. Which should I take. It seems like it doesnt matter very much. I assume the calc based physics is harder?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you enjoy calculus and have the time to fit it into your curriculum, why not take that third quarter?

I took trig-based physics, but in some ways calc-based might have been a smarter move. In trig-based physics they're always side-stepping calculus. The professor would constantly say that something required calculus and I never felt like I was getting the whole story - just memorizing formulas which, when put together were clearly related through calculus anyway.

Should I take 2 quarters of Calculus or 3. I only need one for my major so it is only for pharmacy school. Every schools I know of just wants 2 quarters. Do you guys think I should just go ahead and take that third quarter or no?

And for my major I can take Calculus based physics or trig based physics. Which should I take. It seems like it doesnt matter very much. I assume the calc based physics is harder?

thanks

As long as you have the room and are not getting bad grades in calculus, why not take 3? I agree with the poster before. I took calculus based physics and it was a plus for me to be able to see where the equations were coming from.

Members don't see this ad :)
ehhhh...y waste your time with a 3rd calc course when you could fill up that spot with a pharmacology or endocrinology class...

ehhhh...y waste your time with a 3rd calc course when you could fill up that spot with a pharmacology or endocrinology class...

Hey you go to Cal Poly too right? They don't offer either of those courses do they?

But yah I'm having a hard time deciding. Schools like UCLA require 3 quarters of calculus+calc based physics for their equivelent degrees (of mine, Biotech) so it would be nice to have taken similar classes but I may not even get a B.S. so I don't know.

I have an A in calc 1 so far (just over half way through).

.... or Immunology, or anything that would give better insight into pharmacology

not sure if cal poly has those classes...i was just naming some off. cal poly does offer others like medical microbiology though

don't compare undergrad with other schools...i doubt pharm schools will take into deep consideration the type of curriculum cal poly has vs another school. it would be more benificial for your own scientific curiousity to take a class like medical microbiology than calculus unless you really LOVE calculus

Thanks for the advice, thats what I was thinking too. I just wanted to hear some other opinions.