2 questions about GPA/DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tikal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just recently took the DAT and was saddened to get a 18. I have a 3.65 Cummulative and a 3.56 science. Do I have any chance of getting in for the 2007 semester. My second question is that I would like to retake the DAT but I won't be able to do if for three months which would be sometime late September. Will this new DAT score be too late to help me for the 2007 semester. Any honest feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

you can get in with those stats. 18 is the average for a reason. apply now. you can always retake it although i think it will be a waste of money.

Thanks, that makes me feel better. Does anyone else agree or disagree?

Members don't see this ad :)
Tikal said:
Thanks, that makes me feel better. Does anyone else agree or disagree?

I agree, especially for your in-state school. I think the national average is a 17 or 18, and your GPA is above average, so I say go for it. good luck!

Thanks, I have already applied but unfortunately there is no in state school where I am from.

Anyone else have a say about my future, I'm trying not to be paranoid but I can't help it.

Tikal said:
Anyone else have a say about my future, I'm trying not to be paranoid but I can't help it.

most of us really couldn't give you a solid answer. your stats are average, and maybe you have some other stuff that sets you apart, but if you apply early you might have an edge over other average stat people. you never know until you try.

maksidaa said:
most of us really couldn't give you a solid answer. your stats are average, and maybe you have some other stuff that sets you apart, but if you apply early you might have an edge over other average stat people. you never know until you try.
The dude's stats might be "average" for SDN, but they're above average for the "average" matriculated student. I wouldn't worry esp if you have a 3.6. The admissions people at Louisville and Penn told me it's better to have a high GPA anyway (still dunno if I trust them). And 18 isn't bad at all! Good stuff!

Things to stress about: application is completed ASAP, application fees for each school are mailed in ASAP, secondaries are completed ASAP, any and all conditions forwarded to you by each school in order to complete your application for review is met ASAP.

Things not to stress about: your GPA.

Your DAT scores are not bad, but not great. Then again, most of the pre-dents on SDN are over-achievers, so I wouldn't worry too much about your DAT scores. You did well so give yourself a pat on the back for staying focused in school and getting those scores, though I'm sure YOU know you are capable of doing better. Best of luck. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it. Best of luck to all of you. :)

Tikal said:
I just recently took the DAT and was saddened to get a 18. I have a 3.65 Cummulative and a 3.56 science. Do I have any chance of getting in for the 2007 semester. My second question is that I would like to retake the DAT but I won't be able to do if for three months which would be sometime late September. Will this new DAT score be too late to help me for the 2007 semester. Any honest feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Apply early! don't fudge up on the interviews, you'll be okay!

maksidaa said:

3.6 GPA is not average. :mad: It's above average. :D He could graduate with honors from most schools with that GPA, last I checked honors was not average. :idea: Average would be 3.3. If 3.6 was average most of us would not get in to D-school. The only average # here is his DAT score.

Mel :D

pre-dent said:
3.6 GPA is not average. :mad: It's above average. :D He could graduate with honors from most schools with that GPA, last I checked honors was not average. :idea: Average would be 3.3. If 3.6 was average most of us would not get in to D-school. The only average # here is his DAT score.

Mel :D

well...depends on what you mean by "average". is it the median? is it the mean? If its the median, what is the standard deviation? Which gpa falls in the first quartile? The third quartile? 3.6 could be average, then the standard error could account for .7 points. you never know...you never know.......

americanpierg said:
well...depends on what you mean by "average". is it the median? is it the mean? If its the median, what is the standard deviation? Which gpa falls in the first quartile? The third quartile? 3.6 could be average, then the standard error could account for .7 points. you never know...you never know.......

i had a 3.88 GPA and an 18 AA and didn't get into any schools in the 2006 cycle :( But, I'm trying again this year, so I hope it works out. I don't understand why schools don't care more about GPA. Obviously, mine was way above "average," but it didn't matter. It seems to me that the DAT measures the capacity to do well while GPA measures whether you actually did well or not. But of course that's my opinion because the coursework (rather than a standardized test) is my strength.

When did you apply last year?

soccergrl2007 said:
i had a 3.88 GPA and an 18 AA and didn't get into any schools in the 2006 cycle :( But, I'm trying again this year, so I hope it works out. I don't understand why schools don't care more about GPA. Obviously, mine was way above "average," but it didn't matter. It seems to me that the DAT measures the capacity to do well while GPA measures whether you actually did well or not. But of course that's my opinion because the coursework (rather than a standardized test) is my strength.

You have a good gpa/dat..sorry to hear that u didnt get in this year...best of luck for the following year. Btw..how did u do on your interviews, that could be the one thing that was preventing you from getting accepted.

Yeah, I was going to ask, where did you apply and did you get any interviews? It seems with those scores you should have gotten interviews...

LazurasDC said:
Yeah, I was going to ask, where did you apply and did you get any interviews? It seems with those scores you should have gotten interviews...

My AADSAS printout was mailed in August. I only got 1 interview...at my state school. And I thought I did really well, so I don't think that was the problem.

I applied to UNC (state school), VCU, MUSC, Ohio State and SIU. Oh well. I hope I get in this year. This year I'm applying to UNC, ASDOH, Temple, Tufts, Nova Southeastern, and UMDNJ. I'm applying earlier this year too (my app is already in), so hopefully that helps.

What do you guys think?

Applying early is the key. Try to get into the first or second round of interviews at UNC and you have a MUCH better shot at getting in. It's interesting to note that a TON of UNC students are reapplicants, so don't sweat it.

soccergrl2007 said:
My AADSAS printout was mailed in August. I only got 1 interview...at my state school. And I thought I did really well, so I don't think that was the problem.

I applied to UNC (state school), VCU, MUSC, Ohio State and SIU. Oh well. I hope I get in this year. This year I'm applying to UNC, ASDOH, Temple, Tufts, Nova Southeastern, and UMDNJ. I'm applying earlier this year too (my app is already in), so hopefully that helps.

What do you guys think?