WAMC, High GPA, Avg DAT

Started by dentoshi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dentoshi

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Date of submission: Mid June (15th)

Overall GPA: 3.87

Science GPA: 3.96

Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.96

DAT score (include AA and all sections): 450 AA, 400 PAT, 460 Bio, 460 GC, 440, OC, 450 TS, 460 RC, 440 QR

State of Residence: Florida


Major: Health Sciences

Minority? Asian

Reapplicant? No

Nontrad? No


Shadowing Experience: ~110 mostly general dentistry. A bit of ortho, pediatric and very little OMFS

Volunteering Experience: 210 volunteering with pediatric outpatient hospital with arts and crafts, ~60 hours cultural community service since high school (annual event)

Employment: 178 hours pediatric dental sterilization technician, 30 hours oral surgery assistant, 40 hours peer mentor for athletes at university

Research: 240 hours pediatric dental public health research, 60 hours on one project leading to institution poster, 60 hours on another project leading to institution poster (120 hours total)

Other Extracurriculars: President of cultural club for a year, Marketing, secretary and VP of pre dental club across 3 years, founding member of taekwondo club. Public health study abroad in Japan

Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? LECOM give kids a smile

Relevant Honors or Awards: Deans list all semesters in college, academic scholarship

LOR type and strength: Anatomy professor, Honors Microbiology professor, shadowing dentist and volunteer coordinator for hospital (all should be decent)

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I got an F in one of my dual enrollment courses in high school (a business course), I started college with a ~3.3 gpa.

School list:

Here’s what I have so far, would like some suggestions!
  1. UF
  2. Nova
  3. LECOM
  4. Louisville
  5. UAB
  6. Pitt
  7. Roseman
  8. UNLV
  9. Penn
  10. VCU
  11. MWU AZ
  12. Colorado
  13. Touro
  14. Lincoln university or UDM
 
Date of submission: Mid June (15th)

Overall GPA: 3.87

Science GPA: 3.96

Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.96

DAT score (include AA and all sections): 450 AA, 400 PAT, 460 Bio, 460 GC, 440, OC, 450 TS, 460 RC, 440 QR

State of Residence: Florida


Major: Health Sciences

Minority? Asian

Reapplicant? No

Nontrad? No


Shadowing Experience: ~110 mostly general dentistry. A bit of ortho, pediatric and very little OMFS

Volunteering Experience: 210 volunteering with pediatric outpatient hospital with arts and crafts, ~60 hours cultural community service since high school (annual event)

Employment: 178 hours pediatric dental sterilization technician, 30 hours oral surgery assistant, 40 hours peer mentor for athletes at university

Research: 240 hours pediatric dental public health research, 60 hours on one project leading to institution poster, 60 hours on another project leading to institution poster (120 hours total)

Other Extracurriculars: President of cultural club for a year, Marketing, secretary and VP of pre dental club across 3 years, founding member of taekwondo club. Public health study abroad in Japan

Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? LECOM give kids a smile

Relevant Honors or Awards: Deans list all semesters in college, academic scholarship

LOR type and strength: Anatomy professor, Honors Microbiology professor, shadowing dentist and volunteer coordinator for hospital (all should be decent)

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I got an F in one of my dual enrollment courses in high school (a business course), I started college with a ~3.3 gpa.

School list:

Here’s what I have so far, would like some suggestions!
  1. UF
  2. Nova
  3. LECOM
  4. Louisville
  5. UAB
  6. Pitt
  7. Roseman
  8. UNLV
  9. Penn
  10. VCU
  11. MWU AZ
  12. Colorado
  13. Touro
  14. Lincoln university or UDM
how did you come up with this school list?
 
how did you come up with this school list?
Thanks for replying! I looked at mainly what schools accept the most florida students out of state, and average dat and gpa (a couple reaches included). also COA. I looked at mission as well, but I realize my app wouldn’t fit at some schools so any suggestions would be great!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for replying! I looked at mainly what schools accept the most florida students out of state, and average dat and gpa (a couple reaches included). also COA. I looked at mission as well, but I realize my app wouldn’t fit at some schools so any suggestions would be great!
Did you talk with admissions professionals or current students at all the schools on your list? What is your limit with COA? What specifically is your purpose/mission, and what are you looking for specifically for fit? Where do you want to eventually practice? Is it based on where you did your public health research? I find that your list is variable when it comes to post-graduate opportunities and their missions. Your list shouldn't have more than 10 schools.
 
Thanks for replying! I looked at mainly what schools accept the most florida students out of state, and average dat and gpa (a couple reaches included). also COA. I looked at mission as well, but I realize my app wouldn’t fit at some schools so any suggestions would be great!
  1. Roseman
  2. UNLV
  3. MWU AZ
  4. Colorado
these schools take FL students regularly?
my feeling is you would suffer from yield management at schools other than the southeast or mideast...