2 questions about UF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UFMD?

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got called for an interview at the ridiculous hour of 7:30 this morning. Needless to say I was still happy about it. Still have two questions.

1. Uf says that you are at no disadvantage to apply late in the cycle. Thus I assume I am at no advantage applying early. Does this mean that they alot a specific number of spots for each month and then after that month they dont look at your file anymore? I don't think that sounds right but that's what I took from it.

2. UF and everyone else is sending mail asking you to stay with a student. If I didnt know some UF undergrads then maybe I would, but I have plenty of people to stay with there. Is NOT staying with an undergrad looked down upon? Almost as if you don't want to know more about the school.

Gracias

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by UFMD?
I just got called for an interview at the ridiculous hour of 7:30 this morning. Needless to say I was still happy about it. Still have two questions.

1. Uf says that you are at no disadvantage to apply late in the cycle. Thus I assume I am at no advantage applying early. Does this mean that they alot a specific number of spots for each month and then after that month they dont look at your file anymore? I don't think that sounds right but that's what I took from it.

2. UF and everyone else is sending mail asking you to stay with a student. If I didnt know some UF undergrads then maybe I would, but I have plenty of people to stay with there. Is NOT staying with an undergrad looked down upon? Almost as if you don't want to know more about the school.

Gracias
Admissions at UF is rolling, but it may as well be non-rolling. Only the top applicants are accepted outright. Maybe 2 out of a group of 15. They interview 300 applicants for about 100 spots. 20 groups of 15 applicants I believe. Interviews start in September and end in March. The vast majority of interviewed applicants are put on a hold list which starts moving after all interviews are completed in March. Since so many applicants are put on hold, I'd say interviewing early vs late is not as much of an advantage at UF as it is at other schools.

Sorry, can't really answer #2. I think they're just trying to look out for their applicants. I don't think it should really hurt you though.

I recommend staying with a student....it will get you in a good UFCOM mode before your interview and you can get all of your questions answered. My student host (hi! ;)) took me to the Equal Access Clinic the night before and I talked about that during my interview. Stuff like that helps you prove you're genuine when you explain why you want to go there.

The above response was correct about early vs late.....only a few of each batch will get in immediately and the rest will be put on hold til March...then either waitlisted, accepted, or rejected.

I interviewed on March 15th, (the very last day), was waitlisted in early April and got in at the end of June. There are at least 5 people from my interview day in my class now, so I don't think timing had anything to do with it. However, they must like you to interview you at one of the first sessions. :)

good luck and enjoy it! :)