2 questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lesleeannc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. My adivsor put me into contact with a professor at a grad school because he is always looking for RA's. I was emailing him back and forth and he had me do a online training thing and told me to email him after Thanksgiving to set up a time to meet. I emailed him and haven't heard back from him. It's been almost a week. I obviously do not want to bother him but I really want this position. Its such a good opportunity and he said I could RA for him until I went to grad school (2 full years!) and its actually in one of my areas of interest. Also, he teaches at one of the grad schools that I will be applying to so this RA position is like HUGE!
Should I just leave it be and pray he emails me back or should I email him after a period of time?:confused:
My advisor also told there is another professor at the same school that is in my other area of interest. Should I email her too to see if she is taking any RAs or just stick to the one area so I don't look like I'm not focused or don't know my areas of interest?

2. If I transferred to a different school and my GPA from my last school did not transfer does my overall GPA consist of just the school I currently go to or do I factor in the other school's GPA when I apply?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

You might want to wait more than a week. These are busy times for professors.

2. If I transferred to a different school and my GPA from my last school did not transfer does my overall GPA consist of just the school I currently go to or do I factor in the other school's GPA when I apply?

From my experience, schools tend to be specific about their GPA calculations.. Many schools ask for overall GPA, last 2 years GPA and major GPA. So my guess is that for the overall GPA, you would have to calculate your GPA from your previous school + your current school. Just my guess though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Include your previous school's grades for your cum. All of the programs I applied to seemed to want that. I left out "bridge program" credits I earned while in high school, though, even though I was technically "enrolled" in college courses at the time (I had college transcripts). From my logic, it was still high school, taught by high school teachers, not professors.

And yes, this is a very busy time for profs. Last week was Thanksgiving, and this is end-of-semester hellishness. Give it another week, then email again.

Thanks for the info guys! My GPA has fallen just below 3.5 (3.4) this semester because I took too many classes and its my first semester at a different school. Being able to factor in my gpa from other school kind of makes me feel a little bit better.

;)