2 SLOEs and waiting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dunno24

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

EM applicant here. I am wondering about waiting for a SLOE or not.
I currently have 1 SLOE, which of course I am using, as well as very strong letters from FM, IM, and EM (one of the best med students type letters). I have my second SubI coming up in a few weeks. This means that is everything is done immediately, I will have my second SLOE in early November. I had been thinking of just using the 1 SLOE and 3 non-SLOEs but not I am thinking it over and maybe that would be a red flag. Am I at a significant disadvantage to wait for the other SLOE?

Members don't see this ad.

If I recall, max of 4 letters can be assigned. So if you do 1 SLOE + 3 other letters, you won’t be able to send the 2nd SLOE IN November

There was a survey done a year or two ago amongst EM PDs:

If I recall correctly, the majority (>90%) stated that they give interviews to those with only one SLOE. Many of those same programs require 2 SLOEs to rank.

Wait for the second SLOE.

Members don't see this ad :)
There was a survey done a year or two ago amongst EM PDs:

If I recall correctly, the majority (>90%) stated that they give interviews to those with only one SLOE. Many of those same programs require 2 SLOEs to rank.

Wait for the second SLOE.
Alright that seems to really be what I have been finding. Going to be tough to knock out one of these LOR.

If I recall, max of 4 letters can be assigned. So if you do 1 SLOE + 3 other letters, you won’t be able to send the 2nd SLOE IN November
Yeah that is essentially what I am saying. If I did the 4 I had now I wouldn't be able to send the second SLOE.

If you're as smart as the letters say you are, then you're smart enough to stay away from the dumpster fire that is EM.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Agree with RustedFox. Why go into EM now to make a 200k salary in 4 years?
If you're as smart as the letters say you are, then you're smart enough to stay away from the dumpster fire that is EM.

Reactions: 1 user