2 SLORs required where?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sylvanthus

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking at individual websites is not helping. Anyone have an idea how many programs require 2 as opposed to 1 SLoR? Half? A third? Few? For some reason program websites i am browsing say nothing whatsoever about SLORs just LOR.

Members don't see this ad.

It is almost crunch time and this is stressing me out a bit, if anyone can shed some insight I would appreciate it. I pulled up several well known programs and absolutely none say anything specific about SLORs as opposed to LORs, let alone how many SLORs are needed. "Preferably EPs" doesn't tell me much as I will have two LOR from EM physicians and 1 SLOR. I specifically am worried about not having 2 SLORs and want to see how many more programs I will need to apply to. Also, a search does not tell me anything. Some posts say 1 is fine, others say 2 is needed, but nothing is actually confirmed anywhere, not even program websites.

The copy paste is below.

• Transcript from your medical school
  • Dean's letter
  • Three letters of recommendation (Usually from physicians and ideally include two from an emergency medicine physician)
  • A copy of your FLEX, USMLE or National Board scores (Part I and II)
  • Copies of abstracts and articles cited in C.V. (bring to interview)
  • Our residency follows the CORD/EMRA guidelines for bibliographic citations
  • Letter of recommendation from your Program Director (if applicable)

The deadline for submission of completed applications is November 1.
A complete application includes:

· Medical School Transcripts
· Dean’s Letter
· Two letters of recommendation (Preferably from EP's)
· FLEX or USMLE Step I
· Personal Statement

Prior to the deadline, we require:
  • The Common Application Form (CAF)
  • The Dean's Letter
  • Official Medical School Transcript
  • Three or Four Letters of Recommendation from Clinical Academic Faculty (any discipline) or Practicing Emergency Physicians
  • USMLE Step 1 Transcript (We will not accept other board scores in place of the USMLE)
  • Letters from Previous Program Directors (for applicants with previous post graduate medical training)

Application Requirements:
1. ERAS Common Application Form
2. Dean's Letter
3. Medical School Transcripts
4. 3 Letters of Recommendation
5. Personal Statement
6. Board Scores ( USMLE, FLEX, COMLEX, etc.)
7. Passport type photo

how do the programs get our transcript. I did not see a transcript upload button or some stuff like that

Members don't see this ad :)
how do the programs get our transcript. I did not see a transcript upload button or some stuff like that

Your school does it. We were told not to worry about it.

So I've read over about 50ish programs websites. It seems very few technically require SLORs. If they do, most require 1. I think it's just generally accepted that most people send SLORs when they ask for letters from EM attendings. Most of the language I've seen says something to the effect of "three LORs, preferably 2 of which should be from EM physicians."

UAB and MUSC explicitly require two and I think one program in Arizona does as well.

Most places with well adjusted faculty only need one SLOR to consider an app, doesn't mean they will. You should have a slor for every rotation. If the place can afford to screen you by number or LOR they will... Nothing to do about it get in what you can.

Think about it a committee/rotation slor is a lor written by an entire faculty prepared by one person. LORs exist to show you can form meaningful relationships or have connections, don't stress.

Slors just allow the letter to be meaningful for two people who don't know each other, it's a good idea.

Last edited:
Kk good thank you guys, seems like 1 is required, but more is recommended from what I gather?

Im a DO student, so my home program doesnt have an EM residency, so my core rotation I can only get LORs not SLORs. So, will likely just have one SLOR from an academic center. Not sure what else I can do at this point.

I do not think many (any) programs are going to say "We REQUIRE a SLOR"...

However... Not having one WILL likely decrease you competitiveness...

The perfect candidate (and the majority of matching candidates) will have done at least one Academic EM Rotation and should have a SLOR from that rotation. I think two is great, but I really think you should have at least one...

If you do an ED rotation then get a SLOR. While not a "well known program" here is our webpage quote:

At least two recommendation letters must be a SLOR from an accredited Emergency Medicine department.

Members don't see this ad :)
People keep saying get SLORs from all ED rotations and are missing the fact that alot of DO students do rotaions at their home base where there is no EM residency. Not sure how this is lost on people. What are we supposed to do? Fill an SLOR out anyhow even tough half the fields are not applicable? Sorry for the frustration, but I keep seeing this over and over again.

People keep saying get SLORs from all ED rotations and are missing the fact that alot of DO students do rotaions at their home base where there is no EM residency. Not sure how this is lost on people. What are we supposed to do? Fill an SLOR out anyhow even tough half the fields are not applicable? Sorry for the frustration, but I keep seeing this over and over again.

I do not think a DO is limited from doing an away rotation at an MD school, are they? I would HOPE they are not.

Many MD students do not have a home EM program. I did not; did 2 away rotations. I work at an academic center without EM and advise all my students to do at least one away rotation.

If you have *stellar* scores and class placement, you probably would still match without an academic program, but I still think you will be limiting yourself. Besides, I thought my away rotations were a TON of fun and I got to live somewhere new and exciting for a whole month and really eval the program and the living situation...

If you do an ED rotation then get a SLOR. While not a "well known program" here is our webpage quote:

At least two recommendation letters must be a SLOR from an accredited Emergency Medicine department.

What program? Thanks!

I do not think a DO is limited from doing an away rotation at an MD school, are they? I would HOPE they are not.

Many MD students do not have a home EM program. I did not; did 2 away rotations. I work at an academic center without EM and advise all my students to do at least one away rotation.

If you have *stellar* scores and class placement, you probably would still match without an academic program, but I still think you will be limiting yourself. Besides, I thought my away rotations were a TON of fun and I got to live somewhere new and exciting for a whole month and really eval the program and the living situation...

Agreed my one away was awesome. Just sucks I cant schedule a second. Ahh well one SLOR it is.

Some questions on the SLOR can read specific to a residency program but really they could answer that by saying to themselves "if we had a residency how would I feel about him/her?" and then scoring you. If they forget the line "compare to other applicants" and just answer how they feel you would score then it's fine. They can mention in the comments that this school does not have a residency and scores are based on personal opinion and that would help minimize any confusion. If you choose to use the personal LoR on the school's letterhead have them defend not using a SLOR so it doesn't look like you didn't bother to ask. We have occassionally forgiven our rule of two SLORs required if the applicant could justify only being able to submit one. And one is better than none!

Hmm alright. I will see if my EM core site can just use the SLOR form and fill out what they can. Thanks much!

Similar issue for me... Would it really work for a core site with no residency fill out the form as a 'hypothetical' program? would this somehow count more than a stellar personal letter written by a physician at said program?

The whole SLOR thing frustrates me. Point blank on the CORD website it suggests "doing at least one shift with the writter"... So one or two 8/10/12h shift would count more than a personal letter written by a physician who you may have worked with for upwards of 100h in a rotation at a site without a program... I get the utility of it, but it can be so limiting, especially when a school has a strangle-hold on scheduling.

Some questions on the SLOR can read specific to a residency program but really they could answer that by saying to themselves "if we had a residency how would I feel about him/her?" and then scoring you. If they forget the line "compare to other applicants" and just answer how they feel you would score then it's fine. They can mention in the comments that this school does not have a residency and scores are based on personal opinion and that would help minimize any confusion. If you choose to use the personal LoR on the school's letterhead have them defend not using a SLOR so it doesn't look like you didn't bother to ask. We have occassionally forgiven our rule of two SLORs required if the applicant could justify only being able to submit one. And one is better than none!

I am a clerkship advisor for a medical school without an EM program. I have fretted over SLOR vs no SLOR. In the past, the people in my position DID do a SLOR. I have asked several PDs and they have all told me "You should not be filling one out"...

Per the CORD website: "ONLY Emergency Medicine Faculty may complete a SLOR."

I dont list in my letter why I did not do a SLOR as I assume folks would understand we are not a program. I do have a generic paragraph that states something to the affect "We are a large academic center with a full medical schoo without an EM program... blah blah..". I like to think our letter has more weight than a pure 'private ED letter' but not as much as a true SLOR. And our students are highly advised to do an away rotation and get a SLOR.

At the end of the day, this dang SLOR seems to cause lots of 'controversy'...

Here's a question on related lines: what do you do if you end up with more than 3 SLORs?

I did one home EM rotation and two away EM rotations (all at places with residency programs). I'm getting 2 SLORs from the first one (I did not ask for the 2nd one, it was offered), possibly 2 SLORs from the second EM rotation (here too I only asked for one), and 1 from the 3rd EM rotation.

Only one of these letters has actually been submitted, but as the rest come in...how do I handle this? A lot of programs state something like "we want 3 - 4 letters." I don't want to submit more than they ask for...yet the mantra seems to be "you need a letter from every program you rotate at." Should I only submit 1-2 letters from each of the first rotations and "hold" an open letter spot for the SLOR from my 3rd rotation to arrive (it'll probably arrive in mid-late October)? Is it worth delaying the "completeness" of my app for this?

Thanks in advance...

I am a clerkship advisor for a medical school without an EM program. I have fretted over SLOR vs no SLOR. In the past, the people in my position DID do a SLOR. I have asked several PDs and they have all told me "You should not be filling one out"...

Per the CORD website: "ONLY Emergency Medicine Faculty may complete a SLOR."

I dont list in my letter why I did not do a SLOR as I assume folks would understand we are not a program. I do have a generic paragraph that states something to the affect "We are a large academic center with a full medical schoo without an EM program... blah blah..". I like to think our letter has more weight than a pure 'private ED letter' but not as much as a true SLOR. And our students are highly advised to do an away rotation and get a SLOR.

At the end of the day, this dang SLOR seems to cause lots of 'controversy'...

Huh. Are these PDs that you know personally? Our CD (no EM residency here) says he's always written the SLORs in the past and has never had a problem with it. We've placed a lot of grads into EM at decent programs. He said he knows a lot of PDs and they've always said it's fine. I wonder if this is just because these are people he knows well (and would care about his letter if it was a LOR or SLOR). Thoughts?

I wouldn't get too worked up over all this. I know it is cliche, but it is the "whole package" that gets looked at. There are the few people that apply without a SLOR and if they have other impressive things in their package, it just means we have to read a little more to figure out if they are a good applicant "overall". By the way, I have been a lurker on here for years and decided to finally take the plunge. Be easy on this old man :)

EMPD

I wouldn't get too worked up over all this. I know it is cliche, but it is the "whole package" that gets looked at. There are the few people that apply without a SLOR and if they have other impressive things in their package, it just means we have to read a little more to figure out if they are a good applicant "overall". By the way, I have been a lurker on here for years and decided to finally take the plunge. Be easy on this old man :)

EMPD

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your very informative post. Sounds like someone I wouldn't mind working under and learning the secrets of the trade from.

EMPD

Glad to have ya. Judging by your handle, I'm guessing you'll be a wealth of knowledge. Thanks in advance!

Also, glad to hear that you look at the whole app - I've heard/read so much about "the almighty SLOR." Due to the fact that I decided to go into EM a little later, I couldn't schedule an externship in time to get a SLOR. It's reassuring to hear that everything will work out. Thanks again.

Glad to have ya. Judging by your handle, I'm guessing you'll be a wealth of knowledge. Thanks in advance!

Also, glad to hear that you look at the whole app - I've heard/read so much about "the almighty SLOR." Due to the fact that I decided to go into EM a little later, I couldn't schedule an externship in time to get a SLOR. It's reassuring to hear that everything will work out. Thanks again.

The SLOR is a strange thing. It provides little useful information other than to level the playing field essentially for PD's to be able to know what other programs thought about you. Unlike the Dean's letter where everyone sounds like the best student in history (Dean's have it in their best interest to help place their students in great programs), the SLOR is a way for PD's to communicate with each other about people who rotated with them. If you see an excellent SLOR from an EM icon, then you take it very seriously. But if you see one that is average (like most are), then they aren't really that helpful (or damaging for that matter). So like everything else in this entire process, staying "amongst the heard' is likely to land you a position. And don't forget, the match is really stacked toward the applicants. Most people get their top position or two. My overall feeling, for what it's worth, is that applicants tend to be a little too self conscious and worry too much over the small things. Maybe you need to hear that we as PD's stress nearly as much as you. Our goal is to find hard working, low maintenance residents.

^ That's actually very helpful to hear.... glad you stepped onto the forum to post! Thank you!