2-week turn-around time for secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capn jazz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know it's the early bird gets the worm for a lot of schools.

But considering they don't even open your application until you're complete (LORs, etc), does it matter when you turn your secondaries in?

My committee letter is guaranteed in by September 19th (I know, it kills me), and I have no idea when they will go in before that date.

Knowing that, is there any reason I should submit my secondaries NOW? Or should I work on them and submit them all the day my LORs get submitted to AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad.

This really irks me. If you were proactive enough to have everything done before that time, then they should have your letter ready for you. Diligence should be rewarded. They are making you less competitive, albeit by a slight margin. I don't know about pre-med committees, but some of us would like to be accepted by mid to late October and be through with the process!!!

But considering they don't even open your application until you're complete (LORs, etc), does it matter when you turn your secondaries in?

My committee letter is guaranteed in by September 19th (I know, it kills me), and I have no idea when they will go in before that date.

Knowing that, is there any reason I should submit my secondaries NOW? Or should I work on them and submit them all the day my LORs get submitted to AMCAS?

The 2 week rule is a basic guideline for the applicant, not the school (few schools actually require a 2 week turnaround.

The idea is you do the secondaries in a timely manner and turn them in so that on Sep 19 when your committee letter is in you won't freak out that you have 20+ secondaries to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chances are your application won't be looked at until it is complete (including LORs). It couldn't hurt to pre-write your secondary application essays, but realistically there's no point in submitting them early.

I know. it's frustrating to have no control over the process. I'm applying from abroad and I have to re-arrange my work schedule and buy an international plane ticket, so I'm hoping they do it earlier. But I think just by asking I will get a "how rude, you're not more important/unique/higher priority than other applicants" - style response...

I know some schools will send interview invites before receiving LORs. OSU comes to mind.

I would say submit your secondaries ASAP. And let the committee know that you are done and would appreciate your LOR as soon as possible.

OK! Good idea. I just don't want to submit now and in 3 weeks be like "crap, i wish i could edit this secondary..."
haha

But the two-week-rule is also used by some schools as a kind of indicator of our interest in their program right? I'm just curious how it works when we receive secondaries before our primary is verified. Does the rule still apply here?

But the two-week-rule is also used by some schools as a kind of indicator of our interest in their program right? I'm just curious how it works when we receive secondaries before our primary is verified. Does the rule still apply here?

My first piece of advice is to follow the rules of each specific secondary. Secondly, submit your secondaries as soon as you can. Then let everything else "fall into place" as the application becomes complete.

Honestly, there isn't a "objective" reason you need to get your secondaries done now, but that begs the question "why sit on it?" If you have time, finish your secondaries in a timely manner so that the last "piece of the puzzle" is your letters of recommendation and NOT the entire application packet.

My first piece of advice is to follow the rules of each specific secondary. Secondly, submit your secondaries as soon as you can. Then let everything else "fall into place" as the application becomes complete.

Honestly, there isn't a "objective" reason you need to get your secondaries done now, but that begs the question "why sit on it?" If you have time, finish your secondaries in a timely manner so that the last "piece of the puzzle" is your letters of recommendation and NOT the entire application packet.

Thank you so much for the advice. I just wanted to make sure that I should still follow it, cuz most people that talk about already have their primaries verified.

I submitted two of my secondaries about a month after I received them. Interviews to both schools. I really don't htink it matters THAT much.

I submitted two of my secondaries about a month after I received them. Interviews to both schools. I really don't htink it matters THAT much.

Exactly. Quality is better than speed. Obviously don't waste time, but the two week suggestion isn't a be all end all.

Exactly. Quality is better than speed. Obviously don't waste time, but the two week suggestion isn't a be all end all.

That's so nice to hear. I'm just swamped, and no matter how much I write, I feel like I've barely made a dent. My biggest problem is that I write an essay and I'm never happy with it. For example, I'll write a "why our school?" essay, and I'll be freaking out that I missed some really cool opportunity at the school to talk about. Or I worry I sound too generic at times. I just never feel like what I write is is the best it can be, and I go nuts trying to figure out how to make my essays better. Which is verrrry time consuming lol.

That's so nice to hear. I'm just swamped, and no matter how much I write, I feel like I've barely made a dent. My biggest problem is that I write an essay and I'm never happy with it. For example, I'll write a "why our school?" essay, and I'll be freaking out that I missed some really cool opportunity at the school to talk about. Or I worry I sound too generic at times. I just never feel like what I write is is the best it can be, and I go nuts trying to figure out how to make my essays better. Which is verrrry time consuming lol.

It can definitely be overwhelming. Try and prioritize so that the "oldest" ones get completed first. But sometimes you just need to take a break from the difficult essays, and that's fine. Again, the key is just not to fart around for no reason.

It can definitely be overwhelming. Try and prioritize so that the "oldest" ones get completed first. But sometimes you just need to take a break from the difficult essays, and that's fine. Again, the key is just not to fart around for no reason.

Thanks a lot. Ya I'm definitely NOT farting around lol. I'm throwing around the idea of taking a day off tho. Helped while studying for the mcat, that's for sure. Just taking it a day at a time and slowly crossing schools off the to do list.

I love the fact that the secondary I'm currently stressing out over is Pritzker. Hahaha.

Yea, I'm working on mine.

Of 17....

7 written and submitted
2 more written but not submitted
3 received but not written
3 not yet received

and 2 that i can't apply to :(
--1 of them i just didnt notice their mcat deadline
--the other i emailed them when i took the mcat in 2009, and in april of this year specifically asking about my mcat and if it was valid, and both times being told yes, only to be told it's NOT now. i'm pretty upset about this. i wish they would be held to their own words. their 3-year policy hasn't changed, so if a july MCAT from 3 years ago is invalid, they should have known that when i asked them TWICE.