2 weeks out.. advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exeunt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just scored a 242 on uwsa for step 2 ck with exactly 2 weeks to go, and hoping to score a 250+ on the real thing. i'm 6 months out from third year and didn't do great on my shelves, so kind of nervous about step 2:(

i read mtb x1, 2/3 of FA and have done about 75% of uw. i was also planning on reading secrets and pestana during my last week. any advice on what i should focus on over the next 2 weeks other than finish uw? originally i wanted to do 2 passes of uw but i don't think i'll have time for that now. i'm the kind of person that needs to see things over and over again in order to remember them, and there's just so much info on step 2 i'm not sure what to do with 2 weeks remaining--should i consider pushing the test back?

any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you take notes while doing UW? Going over those the last couple of weeks is essential to review stuff you might have forgotten already

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Did you take notes while doing UW? Going over those the last couple of weeks is essential to review stuff you might have forgotten already

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

yup, i did. i feel like there's a lot of additional info in FA/MTB too tho. i'm definitely going to try to memorize my UW notes, but not sure what to focus on otherwise since there's so many resources and not a good consensus on what's best, and it takes forever to go through any book just once.. any tips?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would reread MTB 2 IM section. Pestana notes for surgery and go through the remaining UWorld questions. I'd also know a little bit about listening to heart sounds, interpreting EKGs, Chest Xrays / CTs and biostats. 10 point improvement is very doable with 2 weeks. Got to hit the high yield topics or work on subjects you are still weak on for one reason or another.

im sure you are aware of this but any section not written by Conrad in MTB 2 sucks and adds little value to step 2 studying...

I would reread MTB 2 IM section. Pestana notes for surgery and go through the remaining UWorld questions. I'd also know a little bit about listening to heart sounds, interpreting EKGs, Chest Xrays / CTs and biostats. 10 point improvement is very doable with 2 weeks. Got to hit the high yield topics or work on subjects you are still weak on for one reason or another.

im sure you are aware of this but any section not written by Conrad in MTB 2 sucks and adds little value to step 2 studying...

thanks for the advice!! how can i tell which sections weren't written by conrad? i like mtb a lot although some parts are definitely too general imo. some people recommended mtb for step 3 to beef up on peds/surgery/ob/gyn but i don't want to get overwhelmed with books..

I agree that you shouldnt use too many resources. You only have 2 weeks left. your first priority is to finish all the UWorld questions. at the start of each chapter, if its not written by conrad he includes the name of the person who wrote it. I have heard people using mtb3 as well for the other subjects. I cant attest to how useful that is as I did not use that book.

If I were in your shoes I would focus on mostly active learning by getting through UW, flagging questions you think you need to see a third time.

Reactions: 1 user
If I were in your shoes I would focus on mostly active learning by getting through UW, flagging questions you think you need to see a third time.
thanks! so would you recommend just trying to get thru a second pass of UW as much as possible versus studying FA/MTB or something?

Yeahs, that's what I would recommend. Except to help you understand a specific question or the occasional high yield table, I would essentially never use a book over questions within a few weeks of the exam, as the questions are essentially guaranteed high yield and keep you thinking in the correct mindset.