2 Withdrawals on Transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wombat27

Reaction score
This semester, I enrolled in a few film classes and realized I didn't want to keep taking them. Keep in mind, the drop-add period for my university is approx. 4 days from the start of the semester, giving students maybe one class meeting to decide if they want to drop a class or not. I missed the withdrawal deadline for one of the classes by one day (Aug 22, withdrew the 23rd) on accident as I had received communication that said the withdrawal day was later (we just changed the period from 1 day to like 5 days a few weeks before the semester started, some profs thought it was a week long period and said so). I had an A, but the class had literally been going on for maybe three days by the time I withdrew, so I don't know how much that matters. I also didn't receive a confirmation that the class would be a withdraw instead of a drop when I went on my school's portal, which made me think it was a dropped class until later notice. The other class I withdrew from was just boring and a time sucker for a 100 level course with an awful professor and TA so I decided to just cut my losses in early September even though I had a high A in that class as well. Looking back, I probably shouldn't have gone for the withdrawal in that course, but I hadn't been fully briefed on the idea of withdrawals when I decided to drop. Now, one of my advisors is acting like it's the kiss of death and refusing to approve my credit overload (literally for two credits past the maximum for a TA position rather than an actual academic class) for next semester even though I have above a 4.0 GPA due to these withdrawals. I figure that it's better for it to be these Ws than Ws in required science courses or other major related classes. Do you think admissions committees will care about these Ws on my transcript given that they're not major related, not upper division, and I had decent grades in them at the time of withdrawal?

Members don't see this ad.

This semester, I enrolled in a few film classes and realized I didn't want to keep taking them. Keep in mind, the drop-add period for my university is approx. 4 days from the start of the semester, giving students maybe one class meeting to decide if they want to drop a class or not. I missed the withdrawal deadline for one of the classes by one day (Aug 22, withdrew the 23rd) on accident as I had received communication that said the withdrawal day was later (we just changed the period from 1 day to like 5 days a few weeks before the semester started, some profs thought it was a week long period and said so). I had an A, but the class had literally been going on for maybe three days by the time I withdrew, so I don't know how much that matters. I also didn't receive a confirmation that the class would be a withdraw instead of a drop when I went on my school's portal, which made me think it was a dropped class until later notice. The other class I withdrew from was just boring and a time sucker for a 100 level course with an awful professor and TA so I decided to just cut my losses in early September even though I had a high A in that class as well. Looking back, I probably shouldn't have gone for the withdrawal in that course, but I hadn't been fully briefed on the idea of withdrawals when I decided to drop. Now, one of my advisors is acting like it's the kiss of death and refusing to approve my credit overload (literally for two credits past the maximum for a TA position rather than an actual academic class) for next semester even though I have above a 4.0 GPA due to these withdrawals. I figure that it's better for it to be these Ws than Ws in required science courses or other major related classes. Do you think admissions committees will care about these Ws on my transcript given that they're not major related, not upper division, and I had decent grades in them at the time of withdrawal?
trust the process...

I understand your concern because getting into dental school is a highly competitive process, and the concern you have regarding your transcripts is valid. While withdrawals on your transcript may raise some questions, it is important to remember that dental schools look at the everything in your application, including your DAT Score, grades, personal statement, and letters of recommendation. My advice would be to address the withdrawals in a positive light, explaining the circumstances that led to your decision and what you learned from it. When applying to dental schools, it is important to demonstrate qualities such as resilience and a commitment to personal growth. Use this opportunity to showcase these characteristics in your application. Ultimately, dental schools highly value applicants who have these attributes.

If it comes up during an interview, be prepared to answer why you withdrew from the classes. I hope this information helps, and I wouldn't worry too much.

Just my 2 cents...Nancy

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No

Do you think admissions committees will care about these Ws on my transcript given that they're not major related, not upper division, and I had decent grades in them at the time of withdrawal?

No transcript will tell us how you were doing in any withdrawn class, sorry.

A couple of W's in nonmajor courses won't raise eyebrows.

Reactions: 1 users