2 year AEGD question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TuckyDent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I am selected for a 2 year AEGD program right after school, do I move to that location for a year before I start the AEGD, or do they put me somewhere else for a year?

Members don't see this ad.

If I am selected for a 2 year AEGD program right after school, do I move to that location for a year before I start the AEGD, or do they put me somewhere else for a year?
USAF??

You can only start it right out of school if you completed COT before or during dental school. Otherwise, you would PCS to the training site to be in place before you start. Typically won't move you somewhere else because you would need a waiver to move early.

I have read through the Air Force thread and don't recall if you already addressed the details of the 2 year AEGD.

How many openings are there every year?

In the past, how competitive has it been?

What are the differences between the 1 and 2 year AEGD?

Would completing the 2 year AEGD make it more likely that you would be stationed OCONUS or being deployed or both?

Would competing the 2 year AEGD (compared to AEGD 1) make you a more competitive applicant to other Air Force residencies like Endo or Perio?

Thanks for your continued insight AFDDS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have read through the Air Force thread and don't recall if you already addressed the details of the 2 year AEGD.

How many openings are there every year? 10. As far as I know we already have 10 for next year's class.

In the past, how competitive has it been? Recently it has been getting more and more competitive. As mentioned earlier, I think we are full next year and have already filled some slots for the following year.

What are the differences between the 1 and 2 year AEGD? 1-year AEGD is less didactic than the 2 year. The 2 year is more demanding clinically and is preparing you to take the ABGD board exams.

Would completing the 2 year AEGD make it more likely that you would be stationed OCONUS or being deployed or both? Not necessarily more vulnerable for OCONUS assignments, but you are more deployable.

Would competing the 2 year AEGD (compared to AEGD 1) make you a more competitive applicant to other Air Force residencies like Endo or Perio? Yes. Keep in mind that the AF considers it a specialty program, so typically you must serve 5-years in a specialty before you can apply to another one. You can get a waiver for that, its not guaranteed and is easier to get if you are applying to a specialty where we are undermanned.

Thanks for your continued insight AFDDS.

I think you need to be somewhat committed to general dentistry if you are going to do the 2-year. That being said, I know 4 who have gone on to Endo training after the 2-year. All of them spent over 5 years as a comp dentist before going back to training.

Yes. Keep in mind that the AF considers it a specialty program, so typically you must serve 5-years in a specialty before you can apply to another one. You can get a waiver for that, its not guaranteed and is easier to get if you are applying to a specialty where we are undermanned.

Is this same for 1yr AEGD?

Yes. Keep in mind that the AF considers it a specialty program, so typically you must serve 5-years in a specialty before you can apply to another one. You can get a waiver for that, its not guaranteed and is easier to get if you are applying to a specialty where we are undermanned.

Is this same for 1yr AEGD?

No. The 1-year AEGD isn't a specialty program.

USAF??

You can only start it right out of school if you completed COT before or during dental school. Otherwise, you would PCS to the training site to be in place before you start. Typically won't move you somewhere else because you would need a waiver to move early.

Same for Army.