2 Year Chemistry Requirement Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beanz298

Reaction score
I just switched into the pre-med track (woohoo) and am now finding out that a lot of medical schools don’t accept AP credit (boohoo). Since my undergrad institution accepted the AP credit as General Chemistry 1 & 2, I went straight into Organic - did 2 semesters of that and then a semester of Biochemistry. I’m not required to take any more Chem for my major, but I guess I need to take one more semester of an Inorganic Chemistry class to satisfy a lot of those places that won’t accept the AP credit. Would it be frowned upon if I just went back and “retook” General Chemistry in the fall? I’m currently registered for Physical Chemistry but it’s supposed to be notoriously difficult (especially with the professor at my school) so I would prefer not to take it.

I regret not just forgoing my credit and taking General Chemistry my first semester.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Think just take Gen Chem 1 and 2 get an A but that’s just my opinion

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry for not making it clear - my question is whether I should take General Chemistry and get an A or if I should take P Chem.

Simply stated, take general chemistry

Reactions: 1 user
So it's completely fine if I take General Chemistry after taking Organic Chemistry?

I just switched into the pre-med track (woohoo) and am now finding out that a lot of medical schools don’t accept AP credit (boohoo). Since my undergrad institution accepted the AP credit as General Chemistry 1 & 2, I went straight into Organic - did 2 semesters of that and then a semester of Biochemistry. I’m not required to take any more Chem for my major, but I guess I need to take one more semester of an Inorganic Chemistry class to satisfy a lot of those places that won’t accept the AP credit. Would it be frowned upon if I just went back and “retook” General Chemistry in the fall? I’m currently registered for Physical Chemistry but it’s supposed to be notoriously difficult (especially with the professor at my school) so I would prefer not to take it.

I regret not just forgoing my credit and taking General Chemistry my first semester.

Perhaps take "medicinal chemistry" or "pharmaceutical chemistry"? These areas are very interesting and especially relevant to those pursuing the health professions.

You will need both semesters of general chemistry. Nothing else in the "chemistry" realm is needed for you beyond those two. Take those and you will be set to apply to most schools.