2 year vs. 1 year Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHypertrophy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing 1 year but am now set to do
Summer = Bio 1 and Bio 2
Fall = Gen Chem 1 and Physics 2
Spring = Gen Chem 2 and Physics 2
Summer = Orgo 1 and 2
Taking biochem, and other upper level sciences during the second year

Pros and Cons....?

Members don't see this ad.

Pro: the more classes you are able to take prior to matriculating into an M.D./D.O. program the better. I've never heard anyone say, "I was over-prepared for medical school and found the curriculum to be boring." Doesn't happen.

Cons: time and $$$.

My $0.02

hey dr.hypertrophy, what made you decide to spread out the classes like that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Armastama for you 2 cents!

MD to be 1 day...I decided to spread out my classes merely do to the fact that I want to take more upper level sciences before I matriculate. I believe Biochem, Microbiology, Genectics, and other science classes will help better prepare you for medical schools. For example, Biochem and anatomy are neccessary in med school so taking it in undergrad will make you familiar with those subjects. However, either way you'll be taught both in med school....so take this information and intrepret it the way you want.

Just so you know, med school and ug teach anatomy, physiology, and biochem very differently than ug, furthermore, it's tested very differently on step than in either, take that as you will.

This may not be true, but I've heard many times from pre-meds and advisors:

The primary drawback for only taking two classes a semester and orgo during the summer is that it fails to demonstrate the students ability to take a full courseload of science at one time. "a full courseload...at one time" may be redundant...

Just depends on the rest of your academic record. I took two and three classes, respectively, during my last year of postbac, and the six top 10 schools I interviewed at didn't seem to have a problem with it.

This may not be true, but I've heard many times from pre-meds and advisors:

The primary drawback for only taking two classes a semester and orgo during the summer is that it fails to demonstrate the students ability to take a full courseload of science at one time. "a full courseload...at one time" may be redundant...
If you get Cs than yeah its a giant red flag, but if you get As I doubt it makes much of a diff

I think it's a matter of degree, and what else you're doing.

When I read an application, I'm just trying to figure out what's going on with an applicant. If I see volunteering, a job, research, and a few classes, and they're getting good grades, that's just fine. If someone is doing school, nothing else, taking two classes, and not doing well, then obviously it's not good.

Drizzt...what did your class schedule look like during your 2 years if post bac?

Drizzt...what did your class schedule look like during your 2 years if post bac?

summer gchem 1&2, fall ochem 1, bio, physics 1 all w/ lab, spring physiology, ochem 2, physics 2 all with lab, mcat at the end of summer, fall biochem and cell bio, spring molecular bio, biology of cancer, developmental bio

Also, keep in mind that some 2 year programs can turn out to take 3 years (and 1 year programs can take 2 years). For example, if you finish all of your required courses by the end of spring of your second year, it may be too late to apply to med. schools for the following year - you may have to wait a year to apply. This does not apply to all programs, but it may be worth looking into.