2 years to Critical Care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMW19

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that there a few Critical Care fellowships (after IM) that would only require two years of Critical Care training (minus the Pulmonary). I guess the purpose of this would be if you had no interest in doing outpatient services (i.e. sleep studies, outpt. COPD management etc.) and only wanted to work in an ICU.

Is anyone familiar with any of these 2 year CC fellowships (if there even are any) Allo or Osteopathic.

Thanks,

BMW-

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses guys. Two of the DO programs say they are linked to pulmonology programs so I don't know what the deal with those are. But the Allo ones seem like a good option.

BMW-

FRIEDA lists 30 CCM only fellowships. The AOA lists 3

Interesting post.

About the salary...

Ive seen some figures that put PCCM around 350K, and others at around 150K. What is more accurate?

Ive seen some figures that put CCM lower than straight IM and Emergency Med. Are docs really taking a pay cut by going for CCM?

A lot of posts say that sleep studies "make bank". Is that true?

Some numbers from the AMGA survey:
(The AMGA is one of the few reputable sources for physician salary info)

CCM - 249.9K
EM - 255.5K
Pulm - 265.9K
IM - 193.2K

The EM and Pulm folks have to do a fellowship and take a pay cut to do CCM? Not fair.

Interesting post.

About the salary...

Ive seen some figures that put PCCM around 350K, and others at around 150K. What is more accurate?

Ive seen some figures that put CCM lower than straight IM and Emergency Med. Are docs really taking a pay cut by going for CCM?

A lot of posts say that sleep studies "make bank". Is that true?

My impression is that as far as salary, Pulm > CC > IM. Pulmonary has a lot of procedures, so that can generate a lot of money. I don't know too much about critical care pay, but the anesthesia guys usually say it doesn't pay as well as the OR for them. I think that going into critical care from an anesthesia or EM background is usually not going to be done for financial reasons, but rather an interest in the field.

as an INTENSIVIST you can expect around 85-100 $ per hour. as usual, the south will pay more. private practice more than academic place. many people do jobs where they will get around 180-200K/year working 15-18 12h shifts.

Pulmonary generally will get more $$. More jobs available.

I would think 80-100/hour would be on the low side, but I am from the South. However, it is true that Anesthesia and probably EM take a pay hit to do CC.

There is no way to predict the future, but just the concept of supply and demand would suggest that this salary has the potential to go up.

The Leapfrog initiative and just overall contribution to the hospital will make critical care trained physicians highly sought after in the years to come.

No guarantee of this, so like all things, make sure it is for the right reasons.

as an INTENSIVIST you can expect around 85-100 $ per hour. as usual, the south will pay more. private practice more than academic place. many people do jobs where they will get around 180-200K/year working 15-18 12h shifts.

Pulmonary generally will get more $$. More jobs available.
Are you sure about that? Our "nocturnalists" (fellows or hospitalist attendings who staff the MICU at night to help oversee the residents) make more than what you quote.

Are you sure about that? Our "nocturnalists" (fellows or hospitalist attendings who staff the MICU at night to help oversee the residents) make more than what you quote.

it's highly area dependent, the midwest, the per hour rates quoted are about par for hospitalists.

Can a PCCM do pulmonology consults in the same hospital where he's an ICU attending? Can he bill separately for those consults?

Can a PCCM do pulmonology consults in the same hospital where he's an ICU attending? Can he bill separately for those consults?

It depends on how he's credentialled and what the hospital is asking him to do. Some hospitals have "intensivists" who do all of the ICU work and have "pulmonologists" who do all the inpatient pulmonary work but do not admit to the ICU or manage patients there. The two may have overlapping procedures (i.e. both would bronch and bill for bronchs) but also have divergent procedures (pulm consultant will read/bill PFTs, intensivists will place/bill central lines).

I mean to say, If you work as an ICU attending, and also join a Pulmonology group, can you do consultations within that same hospital? Or, does this become some sort of "conflict of interest", or double-dipping?

Do ICU attendings work for the hospital, or does the hospital contract to an Intensivist group practice, or does this not even matter?