-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2 yr class/2 yr clinical schools
Started by eep29
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Western and Missouri are the only 2 I am aware of. There are a few that are 2 1/2 preclinical and 1 1/2 clinical though.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Really Chris? Which ones?
I "think" NCSU and Ohio state also does this. Not sure of the other schools.
Do we have a list of vet schools who have the last 2 years of school in a clinical setting? (like med school)
my uni:
3yr pre clinical...2 yrs of clinical work
5 yr BVSc program at university of queensland
Mississippi State is 2 years-2 years.
Two years of classroom, didactic learning, followed by a third year rotating through clinical departments.
Fourth year is a few more rotations, elective rotations and externships.
NCSU is not 2 years-2 years. I think the third year is mostly class-based courses and some clinical experience, but they incorporate "selectives" at the end of each semester (even freshman year, which is cool).
NCSU's curriculum:
http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/studentservices/dvm_program/index.html#thirdyear
MSU's curriculum:
http://www.cvm.msstate.edu/academic/current/schedule.html
(a few years out of date, but it is still pretty much the same)
Two years of classroom, didactic learning, followed by a third year rotating through clinical departments.
Fourth year is a few more rotations, elective rotations and externships.
NCSU is not 2 years-2 years. I think the third year is mostly class-based courses and some clinical experience, but they incorporate "selectives" at the end of each semester (even freshman year, which is cool).
NCSU's curriculum:
http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/studentservices/dvm_program/index.html#thirdyear
MSU's curriculum:
http://www.cvm.msstate.edu/academic/current/schedule.html
(a few years out of date, but it is still pretty much the same)
Mississippi State is 2 years-2 years.
Two years of classroom, didactic learning, followed by a third year rotating through clinical departments.
Fourth year is a few more rotations, elective rotations and externships.
NCSU is not 2 years-2 years. I think the third year is mostly class-based courses and some clinical experience, but they incorporate "selectives" at the end of each semester (even freshman year, which is cool).
NCSU's curriculum:
http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/studentservices/dvm_program/index.html#thirdyear
MSU's curriculum:
http://www.cvm.msstate.edu/academic/current/schedule.html
(a few years out of date, but it is still pretty much the same)
I said I thought NCSU was 2 1/2 1 1/2. Never said 2 and 2.😎
I said I thought NCSU was 2 1/2 1 1/2. Never said 2 and 2.😎
I wasn't trying to be rude or confrontational, just pointing out what I thought their curriculum was about (and because me at msstate and my friend at ncsu, both freshman, like to compare how our curriculum's are the same and different)
sorry to step on toes!
(and I didn't use the red color to be all big and know-it-all, I was just having fun putting the school colors up =)
and I didn't use the red color to be all big and know-it-all, I was just having fun putting the school colors up =)
Not enough to do right now alonepear?? 😀
I thought it was touching !
Not enough to do right now alonepear?? 😀
I thought it was touching !
Avoiding studying for the "most difficult parasitology exam of the year" (quoth the big sib), if you must ask!!!
ascarids, hookworms, strongyles, oh my... 😱
MSU's curriculum:
http://www.cvm.msstate.edu/academic/current/schedule.html
(a few years out of date, but it is still pretty much the same)
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. MSU just started a completely new curriculum THIS YEAR.
Do none of you know about AAVMC? There are .pdf files on there of the CURRENT req's for each and every school.
Here is Michigan's
http://www.aavmc.org/vmcas/documents/Michigan2008_002.pdf
I found it here
http://www.aavmc.org/vmcas/college_requirement.htm
J
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The MSU you were talking about is Mississippi, not Michigan.
I retract my statement and request your forgiveness.
Each school should have a link to the curriculum available from the admissions website.
Jenn
I retract my statement and request your forgiveness.
Each school should have a link to the curriculum available from the admissions website.
Jenn
Don't forget guys, just because a school has only 1 year of clinic rotations doesn't mean that you're not going to be getting any hands on experience in your first three years. I just thought I had to go to Missouri because of the two year clinics, and it didn't realize at other schools your second and third years are filled with hands on classes. Even in the first year here at Oklahoma we can go hang out in the hospital whenever we want and we do a little bit of hands on stuff in our zoo-tech class.
Don't forget guys, just because a school has only 1 year of clinic rotations doesn't mean that you're not going to be getting any hands on experience in your first three years. I just thought I had to go to Missouri because of the two year clinics, and it didn't realize at other schools your second and third years are filled with hands on classes. Even in the first year here at Oklahoma we can go hang out in the hospital whenever we want and we do a little bit of hands on stuff in our zoo-tech class.
Here at Tennessee we get to take Physical Diagnosis where we learn how to do PEs on live animals of all species. It helps get everyone on the same page as far as skills. I can palpate intestines, kidneys, and bladders; listen for a heart murmur; do a cysto; and draw blood from 4 veins. It's pretty cool. The second years get to take anesthesia and, I believe, surgery second semester. Plenty to do here.
BTW, I am so excited about working with avian patients tomorrow!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 7K
- Views
- 125K
- Replies
- 368
- Views
- 12K