$20,000 + $5000/every point above 40 or $1000/every point above 30

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EECStoMed

Persistence > Intel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright guys,
As an incentive for me to do well on my MCATs, my grandparents have setup a deal with me. The deal can either be

$20,000 if I score a 40 and $5000 for every point above 40, anything below 40 is nada, zippp, zero

or

$1000 for every point above 30.

Of course all this money is going into my med school/application/fees but I didn't know quite what to make of it. I know my chances of getting a 40 are slim but it can be done right?

Edit: One last thing, if I score a perfect, which of course is a 45. I am duly rewarded $450K

Members don't see this ad.

Alright guys,
As an incentive for me to do well on my MCATs, my grandparents have setup a deal with me. The deal can either be

$20,000 if I score a 40 and $5000 for every point above 40, anything below 40 is nada, zippp, zero

or

Of course all this money is going into my med school/application/fees but I didn't know quite what to make of it. I know my chances of getting a 40 are slim but it can be done right?
Take the second deal. When I took the MCAT in Aug. 2004, there were only 10 of us out of about 35,000 total test-takers nationwide who scored 42+. Yes, it's possible you'll be one of them, but your odds of getting any cash are WAY better with the second deal.

On a side note, do you think your grandparents would like a new granddaughter??? :D

I side with Q, take the second deal.

My grandparents gave me $50 for my MCAT score...I'm jealous (but was really happy with the money nonetheless).

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the second deal. When I took the MCAT in Aug. 2004, there were only 10 of us out of about 35,000 total test-takers nationwide who scored 42+. Yes, it's possible you'll be one of them, but your odds of getting any cash are WAY better with the second deal.

On a side note, do you think your grandparents would like a new granddaughter??? :D

Haha, you're funny. But then again Q, I'm not looking to score 42+, just a 40. I laugh at myself when I say JUST; yes, JUST a 40. But the thing is, having high aspirations is a good thing yes? I mean I'd rather aim high and get nothing at all if I don't achieve than to get some sorry ass sympathy money. I mean, what if I do get a 40, then I'd kick myself in the ass because I'd have to settle with 10k instead of 20k

Btw, I have a quick question Q, how did you score a 43? What was your strategy? What were your practice scores before. You didn't say much in your 30+ thread. Btw, if I do achieve my goal, you'll surely be rewarded--:D

D***, was I ever born into the wrong family. :smuggrin:

Of course, all of my grandparents are long dead, so who knows, maybe they would have given me MCAT reward money if they had lived long enough. ;)

Uh...I'd settle with 10k over nothing.

Nothing is NOT bad, it's what everyone starts off with. The thing is, I hate being given sympathy; it's all or nothing baby. I mean, I could always just take out loans; it's just money right?

Nothing is NOT bad, it's what everyone starts off with. The thing is, I hate being given sympathy; it's all or nothing baby. I mean, I could always just take out loans; it's just money right?

It's just money until you actually have to pay it back!!

Take some practice tests, figure out where you are, and pick the appropriate door!!

Haha, you're funny. But then again Q, I'm not looking to score 42+, just a 40. I laugh at myself when I say JUST; yes, JUST a 40. But the thing is, having high aspirations is a good thing yes? I mean I'd rather aim high and get nothing at all if I don't achieve than to get some sorry ass sympathy money. I mean, what if I do get a 40, then I'd kick myself in the ass because I'd have to settle with 10k instead of 20k
Hon, a score in the 30s is NOT aiming low. Even a 30 or so is the 75th percentile! Plus, you're talking about some really smart kids who take the MCAT; the competition is much stiffer than it was in HS when you took the SAT or ACT. Bottom line is, no one is going to be feeling sympathy for you if you score anywhere over a 30 on the MCAT. If your grandparents don't understand how the test is scored, print out the AAMC charts from previous test administrations and show them that the 50th percentile is about a 24, the ninetieth percentile is about a 33, and the 95th percentile is about a 35. People who score above a 40 are in the top 0.1% of all test-takers. It's not a worthwhile goal IMHO, for at least two reasons:

1) The MCAT is a curved test, and the AAMC will not allow more than a small fraction of all test-takers to get scores of 40+.

2) The purpose of taking the MCAT is to get into medical school; the test is not an end in and of itself. You don't NEED a 40+ to get into medical school; a score in the low to mid 30s will put you in the competitive range for just about every school in the nation.

Anyway, if you like to live on the edge, then take the first deal. But I can't say I find your reasoning to be very logical or compelling from an economic standpoint, and I certainly won't be asking you to place any bets for me. :p

Hon, a score in the 30s is NOT aiming low. Even a 30 or so is the 75th percentile! Plus, you're talking about some really smart kids who take the MCAT; the competition is much stiffer than it was in HS when you took the SAT or ACT. Bottom line is, no one is going to be feeling sympathy for you if you score anywhere over a 30 on the MCAT. If your grandparents don't understand how the test is scored, print out the AAMC charts from previous test administrations and show them that the 50th percentile is about a 24, the ninetieth percentile is about a 33, and the 95th percentile is about a 35. People who score above a 40 are in the top 0.1% of all test-takers. It's not a worthwhile goal IMHO, for at least two reasons:

1) The MCAT is a curved test, and the AAMC will not allow more than a small fraction of all test-takers to get scores of 40+.

2) The purpose of taking the MCAT is to get into medical school; the test is not an end in and of itself. You don't NEED a 40+ to get into medical school; a score in the low to mid 30s will put you in the competitive range for just about every school in the nation.

Anyway, if you like to live on the edge, then take the first deal. But I can't say I find your reasoning to be very logical or compelling from an economic standpoint, and I certainly won't be asking you to place any bets for me. :p

I'm already in the mid to high 30s. The thing right now is that I can't break the 40 barrier; closest I've gotten is a 38; HOW DO I BREAK THE 40 barrier. I think my forte is BS and PS as I could easily score in the 13s and 14s but that damn verbal section, breaking a 10 is getting to be a pain in the arse.

Btw, I have a quick question Q, how did you score a 43? What was your strategy? What were your practice scores before. You didn't say much in your 30+ thread. Btw, if I do achieve my goal, you'll surely be rewarded--:D
:laugh: You gonna send me my cut? ;)

I don't really have any special strategy to tell you; I think it's all in the 30+ thread. I did the Kaplan online course, mainly just the physics and biology. My PhD is in organic chem, so I didn't really study organic and gen chem. I was also teaching the live Kaplan MCAT course that summer, so I took all five practice tests with my students. My scores ranged from 37-41. Toward the end, I was burning out and actually going down. I got the 37 on my fifth test. At that point, I just stopped studying altogether for the last week; it wound up being three weeks off instead of just one because Hurricane Charley hit us down in FL on the original test date and they postponed us for a couple of weeks. Sorry, I don't think any of this is going to be terribly helpful to you....

:laugh: You gonna send me my cut? ;)

You'll get your cut, don't worry. I'm known to be a bit too generous at times.

Just so you know how devoted I am. I took this semester off from cal just to study for the MCAT. I'm almost there I can almost taste the victory, but it's yet so far awayyyyy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm already in the mid to high 30s. The thing right now is that I can't break the 40 barrier; closest I've gotten is a 38; HOW DO I BREAK THE 40 barrier. I think my forte is BS and PS as I could easily score in the 13s and 14s but that damn verbal section, breaking a 10 is getting to be a pain in the arse.
I honestly don't know what to suggest. If you're consistently hitting scores of 35+, you are obviously very talented and already well in the range of where you need to be for application purposes. At this stage, it isn't going to be a question of you not knowing enough or not being a skilled test-taker; you already excel in both areas.

All joking aside, I am feeling a little concerned that maybe there is too much pressure on you to score a 40. It is a good thing to want to do your best and excel. It is not a good thing to make yourself too crazy over something that doesn't even really matter as far as improving your chances to get into medical school is concerned.

I honestly don't know what to suggest. If you're consistently hitting scores of 35+, you are obviously very talented and already well in the range of where you need to be for application purposes. At this stage, it isn't going to be a question of you not knowing enough or not being a skilled test-taker; you already excel in both areas.

All joking aside, I am feeling a little concerned that maybe there is too much pressure on you to score a 40. It is a good thing to want to do your best and excel. It is not a good thing to make yourself too crazy over something that doesn't even really matter as far as improving your chances to get into medical school is concerned.

SO Q, do you really think you would have been fine with a cool $13,000 knowing that you passed up $35,000???

(Thinks to self... :bullcrap: :laugh:)

I don't think the money would help my motivation at all...

Sure it would be nice, but getting into med school is a much better incentive than 30k.

Also, I would imagine that getting in the 40+ range has a lot to do with pure luck at that point, no need stressing out over it.

Trust me its much more stressful when your trying to break 30+ with no addition rewards.

sorry, is this a real deal or are you just trying to make interesting conversation? how bout be nice grandparents and just give you the straight deal, a combo of the two? above 40 you get the 20k, below, you get the other deal.

anyways while shooting for above 40 is not a bad goal, if you were to accept the first deal, that would be bordering on arrogance. lots of people get 35-38 on practice exams but hitting 40 or above is simply another level.

sorry, is this a real deal or are you just trying to make interesting conversation? how bout be nice grandparents and just give you the straight deal, a combo of the two? above 40 you get the 20k, below, you get the other deal.

anyways while shooting for above 40 is not a bad goal, if you were to accept the first deal, that would be bordering on arrogance. lots of people get 35-38 on practice exams but hitting 40 or above is simply another level.

I'm dead serious. My family doesn't kid when it comes to education.

Alright guys,

or

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet. Either deal you'll get money- and if I went with choice no.2 but actually got above a 40, I really wouldn't care that much abt the lost money- cs I GOT ABOVE A 40!!!:laugh:. Its truly a win-win situation. Don't fret too much:)

So this is completely random, but is that you Tom? Or is this some other Cal EECS to med. There can't be that many of you!! Or if there are, hopefully we'll have some incredible neuro advancements in about 10 years.

So this is completely random, but is that you Tom? Or is this some other Cal EECS to med. There can't be that many of you!! Or if there are, hopefully we'll have some incredible neuro advancements in about 10 years.

Omg, who the hell is this? Annie?

lol! busted

Damn I wish I had grandparents like that. As it is, I'm not even sure I can get my mom to help me pay for the application process, and she'll only fund living expenses once I get into medical school. But like someone else said, at this point, I'll be happy with an acceptance letter. Preferably to a school in NY. Though $6,000 would be really nice.

At any rate, I'm not a gambling person, so I'd personally go with the second deal. I got a 36 and I'm in like the 96th percentile. The test is against you, and the chances of you hitting a 40 are slim. And I'd take any money over none, even if it meant passing up $35,000 for $13,000. That's enough to pay for the application process (assuming you don't apply to like 40 schools, which you probably wouldn't if you got a 43).

SO Q, do you really think you would have been fine with a cool $13,000 knowing that you passed up $35,000???

(Thinks to self... :bullcrap: :laugh:)
Yes. But then again, I'm the kind of person who plays the odds when I gamble. Most of the time, that's your best chance to win. The world is full of poor mathematicians who have bought thousands of dollars' worth of lotto tickets and haven't won a jackpot--it's just that you only hear about the few lucky ones who beat the odds on the news. :cool:

BTW, blackjack gives much better odds than other games. Slots--you might as well flush your cash down the toilet. :thumbdown:

Alright guys,

or

Edit: One last thing, if I score a perfect, which of course is a 45. I am duly rewarded $450K

I'm jealous. So jealous.

Man, I got a 40 and the only thing I got from my parents is a blank stare and "is that a good score?"

Man, I got a 40 and the only thing I got from my parents is a blank stare and "is that a good score?"

Welcome to the world of parents! Even if I got a 44 I've got people arnd me who'd probably ask what happened to the 1 point.:eek:

Alright guys,

or

Wow I wish my parents or grandparents were like that

no offense, and i'm sure you are really bright, but i don't think it is possible, or smart, to EXPECT a 40.

for instance "yeah i'm probably going to get a 40" is not something that I think happens to completion.

you have to remember once you hit 13+ on each section, missing one question can drop you a whole point.

whether this be due to fatigue, weird question, weird structure, something you glossed over while studying, all has that effect. i think once you are in the... 36+ range (hahaha) alot of it has to do with luck.

while you SHOULD always aim for a 45, the more realistic option is that you will not get close to 45. so you should take option 2.

a thousand dollars is better than nothing

Honestly, I know this sounds really strange, but go for the 1st deal. I figure you'll push yourself much harder in order to get the money then if you took the 2nd deal. This way, even if you don't get the money, you probably have a better chance at getting a good score. In the long run, a good score is worth more than the money, unless you get a 45 :)

My grandparents don't know what the MCAT is. Or what medical schools are.

Want to trade grandparents?

just wondering, are they going to bribe you to do well in med school and throughout your job too? i really dont see the point of this thread other than to be a rich snob, promoting that fact that your family has money. ~congratulations~

-seriously, does anyone in America make an honest way by themselves anymore?

I think I have a better deal---I got $100,000* for getting a 33.

*The money is contingent on me staying in state and not getting married throughout its duration.

Wow, some ppl are just plain lucky! I got nothing, nothing, nothing at all for going to med school. Just my dad's old car... And a "goodbye, we are so glad we don't have to pay zit for you anymore" message..

Are you grandparents aware of how difficult it is to get a 40...

Make them give you a third choice...
1 k for every point above thirty, 5 k for each point above 39.

Good Luck!

just wondering, are they going to bribe you to do well in med school and throughout your job too? i really dont see the point of this thread other than to be a rich snob, promoting that fact that your family has money. ~congratulations~

-seriously, does anyone in America make an honest way by themselves anymore?
:thumbup:
ive actually read a lot about this kind of thing recently. There has been a big trend towards parents bribing their kids to do well, in the past decade or so.

:thumbup:
ive actually read a lot about this kind of thing recently. There has been a big trend towards parents bribing their kids to do well, in the past decade or so.

Absolutely.I once tutored a college guy whose parents promised him a BMW if he aced the course. And ,no, it wasn't for some hardass course.it was basically for Chem 1. I wonder was they will promise him for the MCAT!!:eek: