20 + DAT study habits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunDMD2b

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Got the idea from the MCAT forum so, those of you who scored a 20+ in the DAT please post your study habits for some of us who haven't taken it.

Members don't see this ad.

Just took my DAT! Got pretty decent scores!
Study habits: woke up around the time that I would take the real test for at least a month.
I studied for 2 solid months by myself. The first month I pulled maybe 20-25 hours a week. The last month I pulled 6-12 hours a day..it got me to where I needed.. Study smart not study hard

Don't let the cushion of a second and third attempt keep you from trying your best the first time.

Set a course for yourself and stick to it. Just like a good workout plan, you'll make no progress if you are constantly off and on for 3 months... you'd be much better off going virtually non-stop for 3 weeks.

Remember that the DAT is your chance to prove (or disprove...) your GPA. Your GPA takes years to accumulate but the DAT can alter your chances of acceptance dramatically in just 4 hours in front of that computer. Take the study process as seriously as that. This isn't just another test, it is THE test, so treat it that way!

I think it really depends on your background and how much you remember from classes (and which classes you took). Someone with a biology/chemistry background is going to need a lot less time.

I studied for 3 months on and off, never for more than 4 hours each time. The most I did was towards the end when I was taking the practice tests, which took around 4-5 hours each.