20 Questions: Brian Walcott, MD

I am not sure whether there is any definite answer, but does anyone know how to get accepted to any of "Albert Schweitzer Fellowship, Center for Disease Control Applied Epidemiology Fellowship, Doris Duke Fellowship, Fulbright/Fogarty International Clinical Research Scholars, Howard Hughes Medical Institute Medical Fellows and Research Scholars, and the NIH Clinical Research Training Program?"

Any advice for incoming students who are going to low- and mid-tier schools like Loyola, but are very interested in applying to some of these programs?

Thank you for the wonderful Q&A. Dr. Walcott's impressive credentials are truly inspiring :)

I also enjoyed the part about "why neurosurgery", very humorous.

In general, the article offers a very candid view of this neurosurgeon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not sure whether there is any definite answer, but does anyone know how to get accepted to any of "Albert Schweitzer Fellowship, Center for Disease Control Applied Epidemiology Fellowship, Doris Duke Fellowship, Fulbright/Fogarty International Clinical Research Scholars, Howard Hughes Medical Institute Medical Fellows and Research Scholars, and the NIH Clinical Research Training Program?"

Any advice for incoming students who are going to low- and mid-tier schools like Loyola, but are very interested in applying to some of these programs?

Hi Lya,
My advice would be to keep an excel sheet with the deadlines for each of the fellowships and their requirements (letters, length of commitment, etc.) You may not be applying for them right away, but having a sense of the timing and requirements for the applications will help you to prepare.

Brian

PS- go Stritch! (c/o 2008)

Hi Lya,
My advice would be to keep an excel sheet with the deadlines for each of the fellowships and their requirements (letters, length of commitment, etc.) You may not be applying for them right away, but having a sense of the timing and requirements for the applications will help you to prepare.

Brian

PS- go Stritch! (c/o 2008)

Thank you for your advice. I will certainly plan ahead.

Do I need to have certain credentials, like publications, in order to expect realistically for any acceptance? I feel that many acceptances to these programs will mainly go to students from very well-known schools who have multiple publications in the past.

Many of the recipients are identified on the specific funding organizations' websites, e.g. http://www.cc.nih.gov/training/crtp/success.htm , so you can get a sense of their backgrounds and projects.

In general, a good school reputation can't hurt you, but it won't substitute for your own reputation, work ethic, & aptitude. Most of the programs in that list are designed to give medical students a "foundation" type of research experience that they can build on in the future as residents and junior attendings.

Brian

What did he mean that research isn't the only way to show that you're branching out beyond textbooks? What are some of the other ways that PDs would care about?

Volunteering at a student run medical or dental clinic
Getting involved in healthcare policy and governance (AMA, etc.)
Medical device development
"Healthcare" MBA
Global health ( http://www.pih.org/ )

Just a few of the ways students we mentored answered this question last application cycle.

Sorry to bump this, but I noticed that in the description it said that Dr. Walcott had over 100 publications. That seems like a huge number for someone who is still in residency. So is there a secret to his success?

Hi Brian.
thanks a lot for the interview.

From a NSG aspirant, who is looking to ace his steps, and do great on NSG rotations too!

Just curious about why you thought you would be happier in a different speciality!