You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
20-year-old who matched Neurosurgery at MGH/Harvard
Started by joey jake
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
He prolly studied the summer before MS1.
I mean, did you try googling this? This person has had news articles written about them.
That being said, they essentially followed classic SDN med school advice:
1) Save time by not going to class, just read the books/notes. This person used this strategy to skip 6 years of coursework!
2) Start research early, ideally before you reach puberty.
3) Have zero fun. Strong match > social life.
That being said, they essentially followed classic SDN med school advice:
1) Save time by not going to class, just read the books/notes. This person used this strategy to skip 6 years of coursework!
2) Start research early, ideally before you reach puberty.
3) Have zero fun. Strong match > social life.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I decided to rank UCSF ahead of MBH at the last minute...Does anyone know how he did it?
/s
Savants exist.
And folks like this, lol. Three time world champ:
And folks like this, lol. Three time world champ:
Link?Does anyone know how he did it?
I knew of a woman like this once. She struggled a lot socially and romantically because of a lot of the things that come with being in an OR before you're even old enough to drink. I hope she's doing better these days, she always seemed very nice
I knew of a woman like this once. She struggled a lot socially and romantically because of a lot of the things that come with being in an OR before you're even old enough to drink. I hope she's doing better these days, she always seemed very nice
One of the news articles from his high school mentions that he was very social and got along well with peers several years older.
Agreed. I know a few people like this - not in medicine, and not quite this accomplished, but people who entered college several years early - and most of them had a very hard time adjusting to adult life, particularly socially and in holding jobs. Medicine may be more helpful of a field in this regard than traditional academia, which may cultivate introversion...hope this kid does OK.I knew of a woman like this once. She struggled a lot socially and romantically because of a lot of the things that come with being in an OR before you're even old enough to drink. I hope she's doing better these days, she always seemed very nice
What was his name? Forgive me if he's a figure of importance in this community but as you can see by my join date I'm relatively new to this corner of the internet.
Personally, I am more impressed by Myron Rolle.
www.cnn.com
Myron Rolle's journey from NFL to neurosurgery
Myron Rolle, former NFL player and Rhodes Scholar, talks about concussions, his aspirations and starting his neurosurgery residency at Harvard Medical School.
He's still in it. Hopefully he's done soon! It's a long residency.Personally, I am more impressed by Myron Rolle.
![]()
Myron Rolle's journey from NFL to neurosurgery
Myron Rolle, former NFL player and Rhodes Scholar, talks about concussions, his aspirations and starting his neurosurgery residency at Harvard Medical School.www.cnn.com
Yeah bro lemme just finish up a career in the NFL and then do neurosurgery work at Harvard. Let's casually procure a Rhodes scholarship on the way too.Personally, I am more impressed by Myron Rolle.
![]()
Myron Rolle's journey from NFL to neurosurgery
Myron Rolle, former NFL player and Rhodes Scholar, talks about concussions, his aspirations and starting his neurosurgery residency at Harvard Medical School.www.cnn.com
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is this one of the top SDN posts of all time? That's saying something considering your impressive body of one-liners over the years.He prolly studied the summer before MS1.
Yeah. Like, she got into medical school at what, 16? 17? That medical school kind of took a chance on admitting her...I would have liked to see her defer her acceptance for a few years, see if that is really what she wants. Go in at 20 or 21. I hope she is doing well, too. Must have been hard and quite isolating: hard to find people with experiences like that. If she's got any free time she might be well served joining Mensa or some ****.I knew of a woman like this once. She struggled a lot socially and romantically because of a lot of the things that come with being in an OR before you're even old enough to drink. I hope she's doing better these days, she always seemed very nice
I dunno if hanging out with a bunch of people that think intelligence is of the highest importance in life would have served her well socially. May have hurt her social skills, if anything. I remember once where she was joking about being unable to get a date to an upcoming charity event because every man was so intimidated by her, so there was also that factor at play of guys just generally being insecureYeah. Like, she got into medical school at what, 16? 17? That medical school kind of took a chance on admitting her...I would have liked to see her defer her acceptance for a few years, see if that is really what she wants. Go in at 20 or 21. I hope she is doing well, too. Must have been hard and quite isolating: hard to find people with experiences like that. If she's got any free time she might be well served joining Mensa or some ****.
Personally, I am more impressed by Myron Rolle.
![]()
Myron Rolle's journey from NFL to neurosurgery
Myron Rolle, former NFL player and Rhodes Scholar, talks about concussions, his aspirations and starting his neurosurgery residency at Harvard Medical School.www.cnn.com
From another forum regarding Rolle.
zestyzigzagoon
Full Member
Jacob KosyakovskyWhat was his name? Forgive me if he's a figure of importance in this community but as you can see by my join date I'm relatively new to this corner of the internet.
Dude sounds like a tool telling a story that probably never even happened.
Fair enough. I had suggested Mensa because as I understand it it is essentially a support group for those who have very high IQs. The types of people who are very good at what the IQ test is measuring: essentially, an individual's academic potential and their economic value to society, as measured in dollars and cents.I dunno if hanging out with a bunch of people that think intelligence is of the highest importance in life would have served her well socially. May have hurt her social skills, if anything. I remember once where she was joking about being unable to get a date to an upcoming charity event because every man was so intimidated by her, so there was also that factor at play of guys just generally being insecure
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Excellent sub-i, excellent letters of rec, excellent interview ability, impressive academic achievements (on the level of a nature paper).
Actually the correlation between IQ and economic success starts to rapidly taper off around a modest 1 std dev above average (115ish I believe) which is far below what you need to qualify for mensa.Fair enough. I had suggested Mensa because as I understand it it is essentially a support group for those who have very high IQs. The types of people who are very good at what the IQ test is measuring: essentially, an individual's academic potential and their economic value to society, as measured in dollars and cents.
A fellow reader of Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers" I seeActually the correlation between IQ and economic success starts to rapidly taper off around a modest 1 std dev above average (115ish I believe) which is far below what you need to qualify for mensa.
Savants exist.
And folks like this, lol. Three time world champ:
He's a radiology resident now.
Actually the correlation between IQ and economic success starts to rapidly taper off around a modest 1 std dev above average (115ish I believe) which is far below what you need to qualify for mensa.
That makes sense. Especially when you think about what the IQ test was originally designed to measure: children who were at risk of poor school performance in the French school system a century ago. That being said...if you have a really high IQ and as such have a lot of academic talent, it can be an alienating experience. Mensa has people that can relate to having the intellectual or academic aptitude to go to medical school as a teenager.
He's a radiology resident now.
Eagerly waiting for him to become the next Radiology Master of Sport National Champion.
That makes sense. Especially when you think about what the IQ test was originally designed to measure: children who were at risk of poor school performance in the French school system a century ago. That being said...if you have a really high IQ and as such have a lot of academic talent, it can be an alienating experience. Mensa has people that can relate to having the intellectual or academic aptitude to go to medical school as a teenager.
I always thought it was developed by the army to help with screening processes. I guess they took the idea and ran with it.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 12
- Views
- 1K