20-year-old who matched Neurosurgery at MGH/Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joey jake

Reaction score
Does anyone know how he did it?

Members don't see this ad.

I mean, did you try googling this? This person has had news articles written about them.

That being said, they essentially followed classic SDN med school advice:
1) Save time by not going to class, just read the books/notes. This person used this strategy to skip 6 years of coursework!
2) Start research early, ideally before you reach puberty.
3) Have zero fun. Strong match > social life.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
He’s just better than every person reading this comment.

It be like that sometimes.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Savants exist.

And folks like this, lol. Three time world champ:

Reactions: 1 users
I mean… it’s obvious how he did it. Have you asked yourself why he chose neurosurgery? Probably eats brains for breakfast…

I knew of a woman like this once. She struggled a lot socially and romantically because of a lot of the things that come with being in an OR before you're even old enough to drink. I hope she's doing better these days, she always seemed very nice

Reactions: 5 users
I knew of a woman like this once. She struggled a lot socially and romantically because of a lot of the things that come with being in an OR before you're even old enough to drink. I hope she's doing better these days, she always seemed very nice

One of the news articles from his high school mentions that he was very social and got along well with peers several years older.

Reactions: 3 users
Agreed. I know a few people like this - not in medicine, and not quite this accomplished, but people who entered college several years early - and most of them had a very hard time adjusting to adult life, particularly socially and in holding jobs. Medicine may be more helpful of a field in this regard than traditional academia, which may cultivate introversion...hope this kid does OK.

Reactions: 1 user
What was his name? Forgive me if he's a figure of importance in this community but as you can see by my join date I'm relatively new to this corner of the internet.

Personally, I am more impressed by Myron Rolle.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah bro lemme just finish up a career in the NFL and then do neurosurgery work at Harvard. Let's casually procure a Rhodes scholarship on the way too.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Yeah. Like, she got into medical school at what, 16? 17? That medical school kind of took a chance on admitting her...I would have liked to see her defer her acceptance for a few years, see if that is really what she wants. Go in at 20 or 21. I hope she is doing well, too. Must have been hard and quite isolating: hard to find people with experiences like that. If she's got any free time she might be well served joining Mensa or some ****.

Yeah. Like, she got into medical school at what, 16? 17? That medical school kind of took a chance on admitting her...I would have liked to see her defer her acceptance for a few years, see if that is really what she wants. Go in at 20 or 21. I hope she is doing well, too. Must have been hard and quite isolating: hard to find people with experiences like that. If she's got any free time she might be well served joining Mensa or some ****.
I dunno if hanging out with a bunch of people that think intelligence is of the highest importance in life would have served her well socially. May have hurt her social skills, if anything. I remember once where she was joking about being unable to get a date to an upcoming charity event because every man was so intimidated by her, so there was also that factor at play of guys just generally being insecure

1682691989599.png

From another forum regarding Rolle.

• Wow
I dunno if hanging out with a bunch of people that think intelligence is of the highest importance in life would have served her well socially. May have hurt her social skills, if anything. I remember once where she was joking about being unable to get a date to an upcoming charity event because every man was so intimidated by her, so there was also that factor at play of guys just generally being insecure
Fair enough. I had suggested Mensa because as I understand it it is essentially a support group for those who have very high IQs. The types of people who are very good at what the IQ test is measuring: essentially, an individual's academic potential and their economic value to society, as measured in dollars and cents.

Fair enough. I had suggested Mensa because as I understand it it is essentially a support group for those who have very high IQs. The types of people who are very good at what the IQ test is measuring: essentially, an individual's academic potential and their economic value to society, as measured in dollars and cents.
Actually the correlation between IQ and economic success starts to rapidly taper off around a modest 1 std dev above average (115ish I believe) which is far below what you need to qualify for mensa.

Reactions: 1 users
Actually the correlation between IQ and economic success starts to rapidly taper off around a modest 1 std dev above average (115ish I believe) which is far below what you need to qualify for mensa.
A fellow reader of Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers" I see

Reactions: 2 users

That makes sense. Especially when you think about what the IQ test was originally designed to measure: children who were at risk of poor school performance in the French school system a century ago. That being said...if you have a really high IQ and as such have a lot of academic talent, it can be an alienating experience. Mensa has people that can relate to having the intellectual or academic aptitude to go to medical school as a teenager.

That makes sense. Especially when you think about what the IQ test was originally designed to measure: children who were at risk of poor school performance in the French school system a century ago. That being said...if you have a really high IQ and as such have a lot of academic talent, it can be an alienating experience. Mensa has people that can relate to having the intellectual or academic aptitude to go to medical school as a teenager.

I always thought it was developed by the army to help with screening processes. I guess they took the idea and ran with it.