2002 Neurology Match Report

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinky

and the Brain
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Avg Step 1 score for those who matched-216 (215 is nat'l avg).

Avg Step 1 score for those who did not match-198.

% seniors matched 97%
% US grads matched 80%
% IMGs matched 51%

# seniors matched 313
# US grads matched 32
# IMGs matched 140

Avg Applications: 18.4
Avg Interviews: 6.0
Avg Offers: 4.4

Conclusion: Continues to be an easy specialty to match in. ( Opinion - Likely due to relatively meager salary compared to other specialties for similar years of training. )

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Pinky,

Thanks for posting the stats. I am currently a 3rd year in a DO program. I am seriously considering Neurology as my future career. I am especially interested in programs in the midwest, midatlantic & the south (specifically. Baylor, UT programs, Emory, Henry Ford, St. Louis U, Northwestern, and Penn State). Would you mind sharing your opinions on these programs, either from personal visits or words you heard from the interview trail? What are some examples of top, mid or lower tier neurology programs?

Another question I have is everyone kept saying how neurology is a fairly uncompetitive field to match into but looking at the average board scores, I am honestly a bit worried because although both my basic science and clinical grades are good my USMLE score is more along the average of those that didn't match. How important is the board score in neurology? Would it be accurate to say that neurology is an unrealistic aspiration if one does not have at board score that's at least close to the national average? Should I begin to consider fields that have lower board scores?

I am sorry to bombard you with so many questions. I hope you won't mind sharing some of your insights. I certainly would appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks in advance.

It appears that you've just completed a successful match. Congratulations!

Sincerely,

Classic13

P.S. if you rather answer the post in private, I can be reached at [email protected]

hey pinky
where did you match?
and where can you see all these fancy stats for up and coming neurologist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Remember that average board scores are just that. They're an average, not a cutoff. Successful applicants score above and below.

Also, according to the 2002 Match report, only 11 participating U.S. seniors failed to match. In addition, there are always programs out there that don't fill. I haven't seen the list for this year's (pgy-2 in 2003) unfilled positions yet.

However, several "brand name" programs still have positions available for pgy-2 in 2002 even after they've had 2 full recruiting seasons to fill their classes. These programs include: Univ of Chicago, U Miami, Tulane, Boston U, U Minn, Nebraska, Case Western, Texas-Galveston, and many others.

If you apply to lots of programs, and interview at them, you'll have a decent shot of getting a neuro residency.

These are the 3 programs that I am familiar with that were on your list.

Northwestern:
Will rotate at NMH (Private University Hospital), Evanston Hospital (Private Community), Lakeside VA, and Children's Memorial Hospital.

Over the last 2 years, NU neuro dept has undergone many improvements with the most important one being the hiring of a new chairman from the East Coast. He is quite an accomplished person. His chief goal is to make Northwestern Neurology #1 in the midwest and to make the residency program second to none. The chairman attends morning report daily and is actively involved in resident education. Currently, considered to be the 3rd best neurology residency program in Chicago (behind Rush and U of C). However, I feel that this will change within the next 5 years because Northwestern has so much money and they are spending it. They are hiring faculty away from other institutions and are expanding. The Evanston hospital neuro dept is run by the premier neuro-oncologist in Chicago.

Chicago is a great city to live in except from January - February.

Baylor
Rotate through Methodist (Private University Hospital), Ben Taub (County), VA, and Texas Children's.

One of the more impressive programs that I have seen. Large program with lots of faculty. The residents are worked pretty hard though. 100% boards pass rate (nat'l avg ~75%). Lots of didactics and lectures. Residents are friendly and bright. Program director is very nice person who is very proactive in making things happen for resients. Great opportunities for research and clinical. Generally, Baylor students going into
neurology consider the program highly when they apply. Each year 2-3 baylor students stay.

Emory:
Rotate through Emory (private university), Grady (County), affiliations with VA and a Long term care facility.

Actually, I believe that the Duke, Emory, and Baylor are pretty similar in the quality of training that you will receive. You rotate through a County or VA or both in addition to the Private University hospital. 100% boards pass rate. Each has a good reputation. I think the biggest difference in the 3 is the location (Atlanta vs Houston vs Durham).

My Opinion of the solid neuro programs:
West Coast - UCSF, UCLA, U of Wash, UCSD
Midwest - Mayo, Wash U, Cleveland Clinic,
Michigan, U of Chicago
East - Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, U Penn,
Yale
South - Baylor, Duke, Emory

If you like neuro and enjoy orthopedics, you might also consider PM&R programs. I was considering neurology seriously, but wanted more procedures. Neurologists don't do many procedures and, unfortunately, reimbursement is biased toward the proceduralists. If you enjoy peripheral neurology and musculoskeletal medicine, rehab is a great field.

Thanks Pinky for the detailed reply. Much appreciate it!

Classic13

In my opinion, neuro continues to be a noncomptetive specialty, not because of income, but because students tend to either love it or hate it. Also, alot of people consider it a difficult specialty to master.

Actually, the income can be quite good. It's true that salaries tend to be less than some other specialties with 4 yr residencies (OB/GYN, Derm, Rads). However, income is greater than some specialties with equal or even longer residencies (with fellowship) (Psych, Pulm, Rheum, ID). The fact is, most people choose what they love, not what will make them the most money.

Also, regarding strong (but not ivy league) programs in the south/midwest, I would include Baylor, UT Southwestern, Univ. of Kansas and Wash U.

To drusso,

Maybe I'm misinformed, but what proceedures do PM&R folks do? I understand that with fellowship training they can be boarded in EMG and NCS or in Interventional Pain Mgmt, but those are Neurology options as well. The PM&R people I've dealt with were primarily involved in managing rehab.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Neurogirl:

To drusso,

Maybe I'm misinformed, but what proceedures do PM&R folks do? I understand that with fellowship training they can be boarded in EMG and NCS or in Interventional Pain Mgmt, but those are Neurology options as well. The PM&R people I've dealt with were primarily involved in managing rehab.•••••Physiatrists learn EMG, NCS, and other electrodiagnostic techniques as part of their regular residency training. They also learn various spine and extremity procedures. Neurologists can do interventional pain management, but in general neurology residencies don't offer very much exposure to these modalities (at least the ones I looked at) and even less exposure to musculoskeletal medicine. Both residencies require fellowship level training to become truly competent at interventional procedures. I think that neurologists focus more on the CNS and physiatrists focus more on the PNS.

Here's a typical breakdown of the kind of training physiatrists receive in residency (borrowed from the Mayo program):

PGY 1: Transitional or Prelim Medicine Year

PGY 2:

Ward Neurology: 2 months
Brain Rehabilitation: 3 months
Spinal Cord Rehabilitation: 3 months
General Orthopedic Rehabilitation: 2 months
Pediatric Rehabilitation: 2 months

PGY 3:

Consults: 2 months
Electromyography Laboratory: 6 months
General Outpatient: 2 months
Arthritis Rehabilitation: 3 weeks
Hand Rehabilitation: 3 weeks
Amputee Rehabilitation: 6 weeks

PGY 4:

Sports Rehabilitation: 2 months
Pain Management: 2 months
Injections: 1 month
Research 2 months
Elective Rotations 3-4 months

Anyone have any experience with Neuro programs in the South?
I'm looking at UAB, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, University of Florida, and others. I would especially appreciate input on UAB and UF since those are in the lead right now.

anyone know about neuro in the north ie ny/nj? anyone know how umdnj or lij are? any input would be great.

•••quote:•••For NEUROLOGY IN 2002, Avg Step 1 score for those who matched-216 (215 is nat'l avg).

Avg Step 1 score for those who did not match-198.

% seniors matched 97%
% US grads matched 80%
% IMGs matched 51% ••••I thought this new fact was very interesting. The Step I for those who matched in Neurology was only about 6-8 points lower than Ophthalmology!

Any comments?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by bigfrank:
•The Step I for those who matched in Neurology was only about 6-8 points lower than Ophthalmology!

Any comments?•••••Well, 6-8 points may turn out to be statistically different when it comes to the mean Step I scores. You have to take the mean for what it is. There's no information on standard deviation, and I'm very curious about that for otolaryngology myself.

The SFMATCH website used to have statistics for each early match for the last 5 or so years, but they recently took them down (maybe to compile this years??). So, I wonder what the trends have been. Has neurology been going steadily up? Ophthalmology going steadily down/up/remaining the same?

As for neurologists doing procedures... There are some neuro-intensivists who run neuro-ICUs. I think they get to do lots of procedures. Actually there is some really interesting research going on in this field.