Match Competitiveness Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Basketball

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn´t see a match thread, so I figured I would put my question here.

I´m still trying to figure out how the whole match works. I have heard that possibly smaller more rural community hospitals are a little less competitive. Is this true?

I am thinking about anesthesiology. I am not too concerned where I match as long as it is in the residency that I want. I realize that this is a little premature since I have not taken boards yet, just looking to plan ahead. Thank you for your responses!!

Members don't see this ad.

I´m still trying to figure out how the whole match works. I have heard that possibly smaller more rural community hospitals are a little less competitive. Is this true?

I am thinking about anesthesiology. I am not too concerned where I match as long as it is in the residency that I want. I realize that this is a little premature since I have not taken boards yet, just looking to plan ahead. Thank you for your responses!!

Step 1 average for anesthesiology was 232 last year. By the time you apply, the ACGME-AOA merger should be complete, so you will only need to worry about applying ACGME (if you are not a D.O. student, disregard this last sentence).

I know a number of D.O. students from my class applying anesthesia who have many interviews with Step 1 scores between 225-230. Community and rural programs, as a whole, are less competitive than academic programs.

Here is a link to the info from last year's match http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-Seniors.pdf

Thanks for the response!! Do you know if it people usually apply for more than one specialty just in case?

Also, do you know what COMLEX scores people are getting for anesthesiology interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response!! Do you know if it people usually apply for more than one specialty just in case?

Also, do you know what COMLEX scores people are getting for anesthesiology interviews?

Most places you will be applying to are going to be ACGME I am guessing, so do well on that.

Reactions: 1 user

After going through a couple of matches and now being an attending surgeon for a community surgery program in an urban environment I can tell you that there is definitely magic to the match. I wouldn’t say rural programs are “easier” to get into than more urban or university programs, but they may attract a different candidate. For example, the student who aspires to be a busy clinical general surgeon, be a strong patient advocate for their community, be involved in hospital quality programs/ etc and maybe do a little teaching may find a perfect fit in a community based surgery program. A different student who aspires to do surgical oncology and collaborate with basic science researchers will find their tribe in a university based system. Whether it’s surgery or not you have to match your story, who you are and what you want to do with the program and you have to create a fan club (letters of recommendation and mentors) that align with that vision. While some people would use community programs as “back ups” and that may be a good strategy I would advise against it. Community and university programs check all of the same boxes for the ABS and both will train you to be great in your field, you just have to answer the question of how do you want to define and build your career. The magic of the match is in developing your story and building your fan club. I hope that was helpful.

Reactions: 3 users
After going through a couple of matches and now being an attending surgeon for a community surgery program in an urban environment I can tell you that there is definitely magic to the match. I wouldn’t say rural programs are “easier” to get into than more urban or university programs, but they may attract a different candidate. For example, the student who aspires to be a busy clinical general surgeon, be a strong patient advocate for their community, be involved in hospital quality programs/ etc and maybe do a little teaching may find a perfect fit in a community based surgery program. A different student who aspires to do surgical oncology and collaborate with basic science researchers will find their tribe in a university based system. Whether it’s surgery or not you have to match your story, who you are and what you want to do with the program and you have to create a fan club (letters of recommendation and mentors) that align with that vision. While some people would use community programs as “back ups” and that may be a good strategy I would advise against it. Community and university programs check all of the same boxes for the ABS and both will train you to be great in your field, you just have to answer the question of how do you want to define and build your career. The magic of the match is in developing your story and building your fan club. I hope that was helpful.
Very helpful! Thanks for your time!