2005/6 Otolaryngology Match: Switching to the Regular Match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miamimarmot06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey ENT hopefuls....

There's a rumor floating around the otomatch website that ENT is switching from the san francisco match to the regular match. Is there any truth to this.. or is it just BS?

Also, if you go to the san francisco match website, it reads....

"The Otolaryngology Residency Review Committee (RRC-ACGME), the body that determines accreditation standards, recently announced changes that include the PGY-1 year of training within the Otolaryngology years of training. We prematurely announced a change to a PGY-1 match for this year. While a PGY-1 match for Otolaryngology is being evaluated, it will NOT be implemented in this year's match."

If anyone could clarify this info i would greatly appreciate it. :)

-Marmot-

Members don't see this ad.

It is true. Otolaryngology will be in the regular match next year. I have confirmed it with our residency director.

The info on the SF Match website is old. It was intended for students matching this year. They have not updated it since.

I talked to the program director at my school and he said that ENT is switching to NRMP for 2006. To confirm this I sent an email to the NRMP and their reply was: "Yes, they will be participating in the next 2006 NRMP residency match process which starts registartion on August 15th." Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unbelieveable. I wonder if this will increase or decrease the number of applicants I am betting on decrease. I think that people will not want to risk not-matching without have GS as a back-up. I know that you could rank 10 ENT programs and then 10 GS programs, but I think it would be more risky.

it will probably increase the # of applicants. you gotta figure there are plenty of applicants who miss deadlines because early match does things so early. an extra couple months of electives will make things logistically much easier for many applicants.

doc05 said:
it will probably increase the # of applicants. you gotta figure there are plenty of applicants who miss deadlines because early match does things so early. an extra couple months of electives will make things logistically much easier for many applicants.

Whatever the effect is to be, I think it will be minimal.

The match rate is reasonably high, but I think that's because those applying have good chances on matching, so there's somewhat of a selection bias.

If it moves in any direction, I think the numbers will increase. (More time to do sub-is for the not-so-sures; more time to get recs, research, etc.)

The main effect will be fewer matched Oto 4th year students taking Feb through June "off." I am glad that it was early match when I came through!

Ahhh, I think back to the good ol' days of the the second half of fourth year med school...calling in "sick" to rotations, vacationing while everyone else was matching. The best five months of my life.

TheThroat said:
Ahhh, I think back to the good ol' days of the the second half of fourth year med school...calling in "sick" to rotations, vacationing while everyone else was matching. The best five months of my life.

Man, you're better than I was.

Hell, I just plain didn't show up to most of my radiology and dermatology rotation days...

Good luck on the inservice... :barf: