2005 match, prelim IM vs categorical IM?

Started by maro
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

maro

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am applying to PM&R which like lots of other specialties requires a prelim year.
The question is how do you divide your IM programs into categorical and prelims to maximize your prelim (hard to get) chances and at the same time secure some backup IM categorical in case of not matching PM&R.

I am assuming that the match algorithm will NOT match you with categorical IM if you already matched PGY-2 in some specialty (PMNR). But what happens if you match a specialty and dont match a prelim?
 
maro said:
I am applying to PM&R which like lots of other specialties requires a prelim year.
The question is how do you divide your IM programs into categorical and prelims to maximize your prelim (hard to get) chances and at the same time secure some backup IM categorical in case of not matching PM&R.

I am assuming that the match algorithm will NOT match you with categorical IM if you already matched PGY-2 in some specialty (PMNR). But what happens if you match a specialty and dont match a prelim?


I would definitely apply to your home institution, and the prelim programs of all the PM&R programs (ex. Mayo, Baylor, RIC, UPenn, Jefferson, etc. etc.) since most of those programs will allow you to use your PM&R interview for your prelim interview. Then, apply to transitional and prelim programs near the geographic location you want to end up. That should give you a good number of programs with the least number of interviews.