Match 2024 with Failed Step 1, Any Honest Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ezrabridger

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am looking for any honest advice on how I can best improve my chances of matching in the upcoming cycle. Based on discussions with others, I believe I have a competitive CV but have strong worries by failed Step 1 will screen me out of most programs.

General:
US MD MS4, Underrepresented minority in Midwest, No Home Program
- Passed Step 1 on second attempt
- Step 2CK: about to take
- Passed all clerkships (no PD)

CV/Research:
- Gap year as full-time scribe and for FM Sports Med and Orthopedic Surgery providers
- Multiple strong leadership experiences: founded large student led community engagement group, help lead work building international trauma hospitals, initiated multiple curriculum changes, President of Ortho Interest Group
- Research: Extensive self written and directed ongoing mixed methods project, 2 presentations, 1 publication, 1 grant
- Awards: GHHS, Winner of annual Service to Community award, Medical Humanities Award

PM&R Experience:
- Community MSK student clinics w/ physiatry attendings
- AAP and AAPM&R member
- Shadowed inpatient multiple times in academic and VA setting
- Rotated in Cerebral Palsy/Medically Complex Clinic and Peds Neuro
- Will rotate at 3 programs in coming months
- Attending fall AAPM&R Assembly

Letters:
- 1 PM&R, 2 personal well connected non-PM&R

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am personally set on PM&R and will still apply this cycle knowing the risk, just would like to increase my chances anyway I can.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’d recommend applying. I know of PDs that accept applicants with a prior board failure. Being an underrepresented minority is VERY helpful. There is a move toward holistic application reviews, which may diminish the impact of board score screen outs.

I would have a backup plan though

I’d recommend applying. I know of PDs that accept applicants with a prior board failure. Being an underrepresented minority is VERY helpful. There is a move toward holistic application reviews, which may diminish the impact of board score screen outs.

I would have a backup plan though
Thank you for your advice and that is nice to hear coming into this cycle. May I ask if you have any advice on how to determine which program(s) would consider my application ahead of time?

I have not been able to find much information on program websites regarding possible screening strategies. Therefore, other than applying very broadly all over the country, I am unsure of how to make sure my application gets in the hands of those who would not screen it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your advice and that is nice to hear coming into this cycle. May I ask if you have any advice on how to determine which program(s) would consider my application ahead of time?

I have not been able to find much information on program websites regarding possible screening strategies. Therefore, other than applying very broadly all over the country, I am unsure of how to make sure my application gets in the hands of those who would not screen it out.

This is a good resource. I contributed significantly to the original chart back in the day, and people have been contributing since.

But truthfully…there is no way to know which programs will ultimately screen you out. There are many programs conducting holistic reviews…Mayo FL included. The only way to know is by applying broadly and seeing who invites you for an interview. With everything virtual still, it makes sense to take that approach

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This is a good resource. I contributed significantly to the original chart back in the day, and people have been contributing since.

But truthfully…there is no way which programs will ultimately screen you out. There are many programs conducting holistic reviews…Mayo PM&R included. The only way to know is by applying broadly and seeing who invites you for an interview. With everything virtual still, it makes sense to take that approach

Thank you again, this is very helpful. Appreciate all the help and looking forward to the application cycle :)

Audition rotation and work HARD

Reactions: 1 user
Audition rotation and work HARD
I would like to second this. Those rotations you have set up work your butt off and get to know the PD. Try to get a letter of rec from each one. Talk to them about their program and let them know your scores. Just because they may have some computer or secretary that screens out below a certain score, the PD can still pick your application off that discard pile. I did poorly barely passed step 1, rocked step 2, each place I auditioned interviewed me. One of them I spoke to after not getting interview and the PD said was from the automatic screening but gave interview. Residency is sort of like other jobs, people tend to favor the people they know. Look at how many people across all residencies end up staying at home programs. Without a home program it is even more important to get those auditions done early and often.