2005 match stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ecpiii

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the veracity of these, as they were pulled from nsmatch.com, and you know the crap that flies around there.

Looks like you were right on several fronts, Idiopathic. Shows what I know. Good luck to all next year...

this year's stats

registered 346
cas participants 296
rank lists + W/D 257
ranked 222
matched 154
US seniors 134
US grads 4
IMG 15
Unmatched 84
Positions offered 156
filled 154
left 2
avg step 1 matched 235
unmatched 214
% matched AOA 21%
% matched PhD 13%
avg apps 38
avg interviews 10.3
avg offers 3.8
% matched 60%
% US Seniors matched 85%
% US Grads matched 22%
% IMGs matched 25%

Members don't see this ad.

I can now confirm the veracity of these numbers, as sfmatch sends us all the report. In my humble opinion and interpretation, of greatest importance for future applicants are the following numbers:

1. Matched + Unmatched = 154 + 84 = 238
This figure = # applicants that actually filled out rank lists with at least one program (and did not withdraw)

2. Ranked = 222
This figure = # applicants that were actually ranked by at least one program

Notice how they unequal. I think this means that 16 people interviewing did not get ranked by any program.

3. US Senior match rate for 2005 = 85%

If you take these numbers into account, you see that the actual overall match rate is 64.7% (154/238), not 60%. In addition, if you interview and feel confident that you got ranked by at least one program, the overall match rate actually becomes 69.3% (154/222). Also of important note about the match rate is that despite many predictions (including mine), the 88hr week has NOT increased the # applicants. That number has DECREASED. Finally, the US senior match rate INCREASED from 79% in 2004 to 85% in 2005. So, when you sum it up, if you want to be neurosurgeon, go for it. Don't let the anxiety about numbers get in your way. Especially if you are a US senior. Good luck.

Those numbers look more optomistic than what I predicted neurosurg to be. Don't pay attention to me though just an overly keen 2nd year student :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
ecpiii said:
I can now confirm the veracity of these numbers, as sfmatch sends us all the report. In my humble opinion and interpretation, of greatest importance for future applicants are the following numbers:

1. Matched + Unmatched = 154 + 84 = 238
This figure = # applicants that actually filled out rank lists with at least one program (and did not withdraw)

2. Ranked = 222
This figure = # applicants that were actually ranked by at least one program

Notice how they unequal. I think this means that 16 people interviewing did not get ranked by any program.

3. US Senior match rate for 2005 = 85%

If you take these numbers into account, you see that the actual overall match rate is 64.7% (154/238), not 60%. In addition, if you interview and feel confident that you got ranked by at least one program, the overall match rate actually becomes 69.3% (154/222). Also of important note about the match rate is that despite many predictions (including mine), the 88hr week has NOT increased the # applicants. That number has DECREASED. Finally, the US senior match rate INCREASED from 79% in 2004 to 85% in 2005. So, when you sum it up, if you want to be neurosurgeon, go for it. Don't let the anxiety about numbers get in your way. Especially if you are a US senior. Good luck.

Hello,
Do you have any idea of IMG or FMG matching?
Thanks,

If you look at the stats above you'll see that 25% of the IMGs that applied (60 IMGs applied) got a spot (15 IMGs got spots).

mpp said:
If you look at the stats above you'll see that 25% of the IMGs that applied (60 IMGs applied) got a spot (15 IMGs got spots).

I see that above, altough is there a way to tell FMG vs IMG? I see people who go to med school in their countires diferent than those who chose to go outside the US. I know the PD's also see them differents, so I just wanted to know if there is a way to get that %. Thanks.

I know this thread has been dead for awhile, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is any discrimination for a DO matching a neurosurgery residency in an allopathic hospital. I am taking step 1 usmle and comlex, but if you have any advice let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Although not impossible it is not that common for DO's to match at allopathic neurosurgery programs (there are around 10 or so DO neurosurgery residencies apparently). The advice would be the same as matching in any competitive specialty: Do well on your 3rd year rotations (especially surgery and medicine), do extremely well on your Step 1, get some research done and some papers published if possible, try and hook up with some contacts at a particular hospital you are interested in (i.e., do some away rotations there).

mpp said:
Although not impossible it is not that common for DO's to match at allopathic neurosurgery programs (there are around 10 or so DO neurosurgery residencies apparently). The advice would be the same as matching in any competitive specialty: Do well on your 3rd year rotations (especially surgery and medicine), do extremely well on your Step 1, get some research done and some papers published if possible, try and hook up with some contacts at a particular hospital you are interested in (i.e., do some away rotations there).

Thanks for the input, I am studying right now to take the step 1 and comlex as I previously stated. I have >6 months of research on periperhal neurpathic pain, and I may do more this summer and should be on at least one paper. My only problem so far is the contacts, do you know of any hospitals I should look into rotating at??

Any hospital that you are interested in that has a neurosurgery program that you are interested in is probably a good choice. Tops in the nation include the Barrow Neuro Institute in Phoenix, UCSF, Hopkins, Columbia, USC, UVA, Mayo, etc. But there are about 90 other programs out there.