Oldest person to match NSG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1057608

Anyone have any insight as to the oldest person to match a neurosurgery residency program? I've read the threads of programs graduating residents in their 40's. Just wondering if anyone has ever started that late, or later.

Members don't see this ad.

Or perhaps, maybe just the oldest person you've seen or heard of starting neurosurgery residency?

Neurosurgery actually skews older than most, I would say. Lots of PhDs, research years, career changers, ex-military, former bankers, etc. It attracts people with type-A personalities.

It's not that uncommon to find someone who started residency at 35ish.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much, that's good to know.
I appreciate your response.

im sure it is uncommon to find people that started neurosurg residency at age 35. It will certainly take a toll on your body to endure this residency in your late 30s as opposed to your late 20s. Neurosurg is an ideal residency for someone who did not take any time prior to matriculating to medical school.

Im not suggesting that this is the worst idea in the world. But make no mistake there will be significant sacrifice both financially and physically to accomplish this goal. You should know what you are getting yourself into.

Reactions: 1 users
Neurosurgery residency is a young man's game. The hours and rigors are harder to recover from at older age.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t know the oldest in my program but it was older than I am. I started neurosurgery residency at age 35 completing at age 42. All of the old-timers completed residency. Others did not, either quitting, getting kicked out, or unfortunately even suicide. I am glad I got to spend my 20’s in a more carefree lifestyle rather than within rigors of medical school and residency. While I am 50 now I still love what I do and could not have asked for a better career path. While I wouldn’t want to at this point, even at 50, I feel that I could handle being back in residency…if they paid more. Although I don’t know when I would retire, neurosurgery is lucrative enough and I have been frugal enough to know that I could do so at anytime (and frugal being a relative term as I own multiple vacation homes, exotic cars, go on luxury vacations, etc).

Reactions: 4 users
I’m not sure there are any good metrics. Lots of changes since I was in the match process…many new DO medical schools, pass/fail Step 1, etc. so it is hard for me to say what would be the best medical school.

I think the a more important than the particular medical school in getting a match into neurosurgery would be making a good impression on sub-internships and getting outstanding letters of recommendation. To do that you need to show enthusiasm, work hard, be prepared and flexible, but don’t be a kiss-ass or a backstabber.

Good luck with eh application process. Let me know how I can help.

I'll be (hopefully) starting general surgery residency at 31, this is all nice to hear since I was told I'm "old".

Not an insignificant amount of ENT residents at my program started in their early 30s. Dont let age determine your residency choice.

Reactions: 1 users