2005 Rank List -- Certified

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Skip Intro said:
Actually, it's had over 13,000 views!!!!

:eek: :wow:

Who the heck is looking at this thread?!?!?!??

-Skip

Aren't you going to post yours too?

Members don't see this ad.

UF-4
UF-3
UVa-4
UVa-3
Duke-4
Duke-3
Mayo-Jax
Wake-4
Wake-3
Hopkins
Emory

Did not rank: UPenn

:confused:
yankeeh8r said:
14,000 views. Where are Swaydaa and Skip's and all the rest? :laugh: It's like 18 days until we know for sure. But already... somewhere... printed on a piece of paper... are our names... matched with our future programs. Just something to think about. :scared:

I also kinda think it is funny that Skip Intro has placed two comments on this thread (one asking people to add additional info), and he himself will not share his ROL! :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
snowman8 said:

I also kinda think it is funny that Skip Intro has placed two comments on this thread (one asking people to add additional info), and he himself will not share his ROL! :confused:

I could have sworn Skip did post his ROL but now it's gone. Pls tell me I don't have visual hallucination.

1. UTSW
2. UC-IRVINE
3. UT-HOUSTON
4. BAYLOR
5. USC
6. HARBOR-UCLA
7. CORNELL
8. UTMB
9. UTSA
10. BID

Cancelled MGH, BWH, and COLUMBIA due to geographical/meteorological reasons...

1. U Michigan
2. CCF
3. Case Western
4. Pitt
5. Wake Forest
6. Yale
7. U Louisville
8. Penn State
9. Mayo (rochester)
10. U Cincinnati
11. Ohio State
12. MCW
13. U Penn
14. Wash U

Who out there liked/hated Michigan? I haven't seen it too high on many lists.

Has it really already been decided where we matched? So why the @!@@#$ are they making us wait 3 weeks! This is killing me.

DoctorG said:
I could have sworn Skip did post his ROL but now it's gone. Pls tell me I don't have visual hallucination.
You're not hallucinating. His is the third post of this thread however the ROL has mysteriously disappeared...it was there a while back.

xampower said:
You're not hallucinating. His is the third post of this thread however the ROL has mysteriously disappeared...it was there a while back.

I may not need that haldol afterall. Thanks xampower.

Who knows what goes on in the mind of "Skip Intro". He posts ... he unposts ... he is a person of international mystery.

:) :laugh:

hey phantom.....i loved michigan...seemed like a very solid program.....the only turnoff for me was location.....location was a big factor when putting together my list.............

NWU (C)
NWU (A)
GWU
Loyola
BID
Georgetown
NYU

Linktones said:
1. UTSW
2. UC-IRVINE
3. UT-HOUSTON
4. BAYLOR
5. USC
6. HARBOR-UCLA
7. CORNELL
8. UTMB
9. UTSA
10. BID

Cancelled MGH, BWH, and COLUMBIA due to geographical/meteorological reasons...

RIGHT... because the same geographical/meteorological factors don't apply to Cornell and BID as they did to MGH/BWH/Columbia. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
IM/AnesthMD said:
RIGHT... because the same geographical/meteorological factors don't apply to Cornell and BID as they did to MGH/BWH/Columbia. :rolleyes:

Lol :laugh: One of the best respones I've seen to date. Don't player hate though - BID and BWH are at least .5 miles away - you never know when an isolated tornado might hit BWH but spare BID. And, the same is true about Cornell and Columbia - which are comparatively MUCH farther apart! :p

The number of people looking at this thread spooked me a little. I have it on firsthand authority that Program Directors read this forum.

And...

It is the policy of the NRMP to require each match participant to enter into an NRMP Match Participation Agreement and to investigate material breaches of the Participation Agreements, including but not limited to: discrepancies in graduation credentials, attempts to subvert eligibility requirements or the matching process itself, failures to offer or accept appointments as required by the results of a match, and any other irregular behavior or activities that occur in connection with registration, the submission or modification of a rank order list, and/or the participant's commitment to honor the match outcome.

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/policies/violations.html

While this is an anonymous forum, let's face it - it would not be TOO hard to figure out who some of you people are, if party's interested enough in doing so were motivated enough to do so. Furthermore, that language is pretty broad, and each of you entered into a legally binding contract when you agreed to participate in the Match. And, while it may be a stretch, I could see how someone might be able to make an argument that posting personal information here in a medical student forum could theoretically "subvert the matching process itself" especially given the high volume of traffic reading this thread and doubly for those who posted before final closure of the rank-order lists.

That's why I took my list down. Overly cautious? Perhaps. But, I changed my mind and don't want to be officially and publicly on record. Do I think anything will come of this? Not likely. But, we still put ECG leads on patients during MAC cases, don't we?

-Skip

IM/AnesthMD said:

I see your point. I actually interviewed at Cornell and BID first then decided to cancel the others later that week due to above said reasons. Burrrr!

It's ridiculous to assume that any PD is going to care what is posted here. They know that if something is posted online that defames or glorifies a program, anyone would be an idiot to believe it right away. Everyone has an agenda. This site has as much credibility as any random chatroom out there. We like to think that the forum only receives posts from level-headed people in medicine, but this is not always the case when anonymity is in play. It would be foolish to let postings from a site like this affect a ranklist.

Good luck with the match.

Skip Intro said:
The number of people looking at this thread spooked me a little. I have it on firsthand authority that Program Directors read this forum.

And...

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/policies/violations.html

While this is an anonymous forum, let's face it - it would not be TOO hard to figure out who some of you people are, if party's interested enough in doing so were motivated enough to do so. Furthermore, that language is pretty broad, and each of you entered into a legally binding contract when you agreed to participate in the Match. And, while it may be a stretch, I could see how someone might be able to make an argument that posting personal information here in a medical student forum could theoretically "subvert the matching process itself" especially given the high volume of traffic reading this thread and doubly for those who posted before final closure of the rank-order lists.

That's why I took my list down. Overly cautious? Perhaps. But, I changed my mind and don't want to be officially and publicly on record. Do I think anything will come of this? Not likely. But, we still put ECG leads on patients during MAC cases, don't we?

-Skip[/QUO

Does this mean that I can't tell my friends my rank list. How does that change anything and how could that influence anything when the lists are already in. It sounds like you just don't want to share your list, which is fine but don't play the legal card - it's a bit weak.

Skip Intro, you never cease to amaze and entertain me with your amazing posts!

Thanks for the good times. :thumbup:

Skip Intro said:

-Skip

heh heh heh...

:rolleyes:

Was tired/guilty about reading, but not posting... Here's my list (and reasons).

#1 - BID
I loved the program. Everything about it felt right. Great location. Very friendly/outgoing/down-to-earth residents & faculty. More hands-on teaching and lectures than the other Harvard programs. Smaller size than the other Harvards (appeals to me). Very few fellows aside from pain fellows (and their pain program is the #1 program in the NorthEast - as pain is an interest of mine, this was a big factor). Better OB than MGH (worse than B&W). Peds at Boston Children's (like the other Harvards), but this was a recent change from their old peds anesthesiology site, and a definite improvement. Life outside of work... Residents get out usually by 4:30 - 5:00 pm. Don't think I'm a slacker, but I do place a high value on having a life outside of work. Good, subsidized exercise facilities. To me, it certainly doesn't quite have the reputation of the other harvards, but I think it's still a great program, and the best match for my interests/personality/learning style.

#2 - B&W
Similar to BID, I got a great feeling being here. The residents and faculty were equally friendly, and it has a very "family" feel. Best OB experience in the city. Again, Peds at BC like the others. It was tough ranking this 2nd, as I know I would be happy here (and I got some extremely positive feedback from the program about my application status). But, in the end I felt the residents worked longer hours than at BID, and that there are just too many residents (30 per class + a lot of fellows). So many residents that sometimes more than one resident is assigned to a room.

#3 - MGH
Best hospital in the country? Possibly, but not the best match for me. Repeatledly I was told that this was a very "hands-off" program. Residents had to teach themselves, and be more independant. I have nothing against that, but everyone learns different. I think autonomy in the OR is mandatory, but I also want to learn from my attendings, and have quality lectures. Just didn't get a good feel here, as I did in the other 2. Best ICU experience in the city (though that doesn't appeal to me at all). Also too big (25 residents + fellows) for me. I wouldn't be unhappy here - just not as happy as at BID (or B&W for that matter). Again, I got a very nice letter from Dr. Zapol, and a phone call from Dr. Baker, so I don't think I'd have a problem matching here if I really wanted to. It's tough giving up on one of the top "names" in the country, but it just isn't the right fit for me.

Stopped my list there. Interviewed at UPenn, UCSF, Stanford, Columbia, Cornell, and JHU. Liked some of them, but not enough for me to justify leaving Boston. (My girlfriend works in Boston and we live together). Plus, based on the feedback I got from both B&W and MGH (I didn't hear anything from BID, which I ranked number #1) I don't think I'll fall past #2-3. Curious to hear what some other people thought of BID. Seems like I'm one of the few people that put it above MGH & B&W.

BostonAnest2B said:
It's tough giving up on one of the top "names" in the country, but it just isn't the right fit for me.

Yes, I too found it hard to give up on the top names. In the end, I did like you, and chose my #1 based on the best combination of personalities, lifestyle considerations, teaching, where my type of research was most active, and where I eventually wanted to work.

Just curious, Boston, but why not at least RANK those programs you took the time, $, and effort to interview at? No doubt from your list of programs that you'll have no problem matching in your top 3, but why tempt fate? What is the harm in ranking those other places 4,5,6 etc....if for whatever unlikely it you do slip down that far...basically what you are saying is that you would rather go unmatched than train at UCSF, or JHU...

1. Indiana 3yr
2. Indiana 4yr
3. CCF
4. Ohio State
5. Loyola
6. Rush
7. MCW
8. IOWA

Capsaicin said:
Just curious, Boston, but why not at least RANK those programs you took the time, $, and effort to interview at? No doubt from your list of programs that you'll have no problem matching in your top 3, but why tempt fate? What is the harm in ranking those other places 4,5,6 etc....if for whatever unlikely it you do slip down that far...basically what you are saying is that you would rather go unmatched than train at UCSF, or JHU...

I understand your point, but I have been with my girlfriend for years. She has a great job, and makes a lot of money. I basically live off of her. We'll probably get married in the next year or two. If I was 5 years younger (I'm just north of 30) and single, I probably would have put UCSF first. But, priorities shift over time - and mine certainly have. I decided that I would rather go unmatched (but still be able to live in Boston with my girlfriend) than match at a program hundreds of miles away and be away from her. If I go unmatched, I'll take a year off and mooch off my girlfriend even more - then reapply. Everything about the ranking process is personal.

Most people on this site seem to place the number 1 priority on the program name (to hell with everything else including leaving your friends/family behind - or living in a crappy area). (Perhaps they are just the vocal minority). I see nothing wrong with that. I was that way when I was younger. But, as I age, I realized the value of friends/family. I will not give up on all the important things in my life (as above) to match at the "best" program in the country. Anesthesiology is a job. It is not my life.

Hope this answers your question.

Amen - I find your comments refreshing. This IS just a job, and in all honestly, most university programs will offer great training with multiple employment ops afterward. Good luck with the match.

BostonAnest2B said:
I understand your point, but I have been with my girlfriend for years. She has a great job, and makes a lot of money. I basically live off of her. We'll probably get married in the next year or two. If I was 5 years younger (I'm just north of 30) and single, I probably would have put UCSF first. But, priorities shift over time - and mine certainly have. I decided that I would rather go unmatched (but still be able to live in Boston with my girlfriend) than match at a program hundreds of miles away and be away from her. If I go unmatched, I'll take a year off and mooch off my girlfriend even more - then reapply. Everything about the ranking process is personal.

Most people on this site seem to place the number 1 priority on the program name (to hell with everything else including leaving your friends/family behind - or living in a crappy area). (Perhaps they are just the vocal minority). I see nothing wrong with that. I was that way when I was younger. But, as I age, I realized the value of friends/family. I will not give up on all the important things in my life (as above) to match at the "best" program in the country. Anesthesiology is a job. It is not my life.

don't mean to bust your chops but i was wondering whether you interviewed at the boston university program. since geography was obviously your #1 priority, i was curious whether your gave this program any thought at all.

BostonAnest2B said:
Was tired/guilty about reading, but not posting... Here's my list (and reasons).

#1 - BID
I loved the program. Everything about it felt right. Great location. Very friendly/outgoing/down-to-earth residents & faculty. More hands-on teaching and lectures than the other Harvard programs. Smaller size than the other Harvards (appeals to me). Very few fellows aside from pain fellows (and their pain program is the #1 program in the NorthEast - as pain is an interest of mine, this was a big factor). Better OB than MGH (worse than B&W). Peds at Boston Children's (like the other Harvards), but this was a recent change from their old peds anesthesiology site, and a definite improvement. Life outside of work... Residents get out usually by 4:30 - 5:00 pm. Don't think I'm a slacker, but I do place a high value on having a life outside of work. Good, subsidized exercise facilities. To me, it certainly doesn't quite have the reputation of the other harvards, but I think it's still a great program, and the best match for my interests/personality/learning style.

#2 - B&W
Similar to BID, I got a great feeling being here. The residents and faculty were equally friendly, and it has a very "family" feel. Best OB experience in the city. Again, Peds at BC like the others. It was tough ranking this 2nd, as I know I would be happy here (and I got some extremely positive feedback from the program about my application status). But, in the end I felt the residents worked longer hours than at BID, and that there are just too many residents (30 per class + a lot of fellows). So many residents that sometimes more than one resident is assigned to a room.

#3 - MGH
Best hospital in the country? Possibly, but not the best match for me. Repeatledly I was told that this was a very "hands-off" program. Residents had to teach themselves, and be more independant. I have nothing against that, but everyone learns different. I think autonomy in the OR is mandatory, but I also want to learn from my attendings, and have quality lectures. Just didn't get a good feel here, as I did in the other 2. Best ICU experience in the city (though that doesn't appeal to me at all). Also too big (25 residents + fellows) for me. I wouldn't be unhappy here - just not as happy as at BID (or B&W for that matter). Again, I got a very nice letter from Dr. Zapol, and a phone call from Dr. Baker, so I don't think I'd have a problem matching here if I really wanted to. It's tough giving up on one of the top "names" in the country, but it just isn't the right fit for me.

Stopped my list there. Interviewed at UPenn, UCSF, Stanford, Columbia, Cornell, and JHU. Liked some of them, but not enough for me to justify leaving Boston. (My girlfriend works in Boston and we live together). Plus, based on the feedback I got from both B&W and MGH (I didn't hear anything from BID, which I ranked number #1) I don't think I'll fall past #2-3. Curious to hear what some other people thought of BID. Seems like I'm one of the few people that put it above MGH & B&W.

That said, all 3 of those programs are top notch, and in a great part of the country. Don't think you'd be doing yourself a disserivce in any way to match at any, with respect to training or reputation, and if they best suit your situation, then all the better. I understand your reasoning, I am over 30 and cancelled interviews at a couple of top places based on the quality of the other options and the lifestyle and geographic preferences of my wife and myself, so I'm with you on that one. It is refreshing to see that there are other priorities on this board that frequently go underrepresented. I wish I could shoot for my top 2 and sit out if I miss, but that is a rare luxury...my gut feeling is that you won't have to go that route though, and will match at BID.

Best of luck in the match!

BostonAnest2B said: