2006 Applicants...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noah333

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
curious to find out what other 2006 applicants are lurking out there - as i sit here studying for the GRE/trying to come up with a draft of my personal statement, i could use some online commiserators - while it is incredibly helpful to read all of the words of wisdom on the board, i would like to meet the new applicants

me: new yorker, second career (former lawyer who CANNOT believe I am taking another standardized test!), applying to both clinically-oriented PhD programs and PsyD programs, was not a psych major, overwhelmed by all of the contradictory advice out there, realizing that law school and the ny bar were a breeze compared to this undertaking!

dream school: anything accredited :rolleyes:

you?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I will be applying to all PsyD programs this year in additiont o one JD/PsyD program at Widener University. So right now I am studying for the GRE, LSAT and GRE subject test :( .

Currently getting great clinical experience and taking 3 courses to get the preqs for these programs (Research MEthods, Statistics and Life Span). I havent started on my PS because I will have to write one geared towards the JD/PsyD and one that is geared just towards the PsyD.

This week I will be focusing on prepping potential recommenders to give me recommendations...which may be hard right now...but we'll see...

I will stop my complaining! Wow! I applaud your stamina. I took the LSAT many years ago (so long ago that I cannot really recall what is on it...logic games?). Best of luck. Do you hope to pursue forensic psych?

I have been told that the best recommenders are those who have completed PhD/PsyD programs themselves. I was an English major and then a lawyer, so I have no close relationships with any Psych professors. I recently completed Stats and Experimental Psych myself, but at a large impersonal city university. I am not really sure who to ask. My employer seems like a good choice.

I think I may apply to Widener as well. I understand many students live in Philly and commute. Philly is a wonderful city. I do not think I would do well in the sticks.

Is Life Span another name for Developmental Psychology?

What are you doing for clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
Noah333 said:
I will stop my complaining! Wow! I applaud your stamina. I took the LSAT many years ago (so long ago that I cannot really recall what is on it...logic games?). Best of luck. Do you hope to pursue forensic psych?

Yes, Forensic Psych is the goal here and I hope I make it! My interests are in minority mental health, especially the female African-American population. I think studying BOTH makes you appreciate the other if that makes sense. Im not that worked up about the GRE subject test as I can bear down for that in October. But Ive already devised my schedule for September so im hoping to stick to that. Im getting married in May also so spending time to plan the wedding is included in that scehdule as well.

I have been told that the best recommenders are those who have completed PhD/PsyD programs themselves. I was an English major and then a lawyer, so I have no close relationships with any Psych professors. I recently completed Stats and Experimental Psych myself, but at a large impersonal city university. I am not really sure who to ask. My employer seems like a good choice.
My employer would be a good choice. I am supervised by a LICSW who is then supervised by a PHD. For some reason I am afraid to ask them, we have a good relationship but still I feel IFFY asking. I plan to ask a PHD from undergrad but she has a PHD in Criminal Justice. Also another JD from undergrad for the PsyD/JD program.

I think I may apply to Widener as well. I understand many students live in Philly and commute. Philly is a wonderful city. I do not think I would do well in the sticks.
I actually WANT to live in the sticks perhaps 15 minutes away from teh city as city life would surely be a distraction.

Is Life Span another name for Developmental Psychology?
Yes it is called Life Span and Human Development.

What are you doing for clinical experience?
Right now I am doing social work with a outpatient mental health agency. I work with women who have extensive trauma histories (sexual, physical, emotional abuse), dually diagnosed, medically compromised (some not all) and most are homeless or living in transitional living situtions. I provide case management, counseling, and working with them especially on self soothing techniques when they become symptomatic and/or prevention of re-victimization. We are working on a study that is measuring a group/individual intervention (developed by our clinical director) for these women to determine its effects on mental health and stabilization. So far so good and its been WONDERFUL experience albeit draining emotionally and physically at times.

Are you getting clinical experience now?

We sound like we are on the same schedule. I am studying for the GRE in September and the subject test in October. I am having no problem with the verbal portion of the GRE, but the math is killing me! I will have to spend the month reminding myself about triangles/powers/etc. :( Surely I am in good company.

I am interning at a psychoanalytically-oriented counselling center. So far it has been excellent experience and has reinforced my interest in psychodynamic programs. I am also doing research with a professor at a local university. It is a very different experience but helpful in terms of refining my interests.

Have you considered the new forensic psych program at John Jay College (which is part of the CUNY system)? Once you become a NY resident, the tuition is excellent (however, NYC does not fulfill your non-distraction criteria).

Noah333 said:
We sound like we are on the same schedule. I am studying for the GRE in September and the subject test in October. I am having no problem with the verbal portion of the GRE, but the math is killing me! I will have to spend the month reminding myself about triangles/powers/etc. :( Surely I am in good company.

I am interning at a psychoanalytically-oriented counselling center. So far it has been excellent experience and has reinforced my interest in psychodynamic programs. I am also doing research with a professor at a local university. It is a very different experience but helpful in terms of refining my interests.

Have you considered the new forensic psych program at John Jay College (which is part of the CUNY system)? Once you become a NY resident, the tuition is excellent (however, NYC does not fulfill your non-distraction criteria).

Yes I have but unfortunately it is NOT APA accredited which means that I cannot apply for a license to practice. If this has changed then I will surely apply but I am under the impression that it has not. It is a PHD in Forensic Psychology and THAT PROGRAM was my first love until the CHair of the Forensics program at Argosy told us that it was NOT accredited. I mean, on the doctoral level you WANT to attend an APA accredited program.

I wanted to take the subject inDecember but you are giving me food for thought in changing it to October so that I can get it over with! Im going to look into it...

I wonder if there are any other JD/PsyD applicants out there....need help with my angle on my PS!!

ETA: Did you mean November? I see it scheduled for November and December.

I plan to study in October for the exam in early November (November 12, I believe). While I am sure the December test is fine, I wanted to take the November exam to (i) get it over with and (ii) have scores reported by admissions deadlines.

I'm applying for PhD programs in 2006 if I quit slacking off... On the bright side, I've already taken the GRE general and subject tests and my GPA is good. I'm not currently getting any clinical experience, but I've had about a year of it at two different locations. I'm working at three research labs — one for my third semester, one for my second semester, and one that I just started at. Unfortunately, I haven't done any of my own research, any presentations, or any publications. I've written a first or second draft of my personal statement but haven't really had anyone look at it yet.

What I'm really having a hard time with is contacting professors. I considered simply e-mailing the one's I'm interested in working with to see if they'll be accepting students, but I assume it would be better to say something intelligent, so I've been sifting through their research. I've read some of the articles and used some in the past in papers, but I still have a bit of reading to do.

I'll be 19 when I graduate this December... I'm not sure how much of a negative impact my age or rushing through college will have on me. I'll probably apply to do a senior thesis next year just in case I don't get into any schools this year (I was told I could drop it if I do in fact get in). Umm... yep.

It sounds like you are in great shape regarding your applications. Since you are so young, perhaps you should consider spending some time on getting published/making some presentations - then, I imagine, you could pick the school you ultimately attend. In any event, best of luck.

I guess the time has finally come for me to actively participate in this thing, since I've been reading for awhile now and have finally reached the season of PhD applications. I'm presently in the second and final year of a general experimental masters program, which I entered as a way to boost my application cred since my undergrad degree was in English. Reading forums like these helped convince me (rightly, I believe) that I had no chance of gaining admission to a decent, funded PhD program without getting some coursework and research experience under my belt, despite solid GRE scores and grades.

Although I'm feeling a lot more competitive now than I did 2 years ago, I continue to be realistic about the utter unpredictability and arbitrariness of the clinical PhD admissions game. The feeling is an odd combination of semi-confidence and dread. Like Deslok, I'm presently searching for the magic words to communicate intelligence and interest in intro emails to potential faculty mentors, without wasting time reading endless papers by someone who won't even be taking students next year.

Anyway, good luck to everyone. I'll be around.

I was an English major as well. Your plan sounds very smart - when you say you are attending an experimental MA prgram, do you mean that it preps people who want to go on and get a PhD in experimental psych or that it is research intensive? Do you know what the strongest general MA programs are? I have only found MA programs at a few top universities, likes Tufts and Wesleyan. Any others you'd recommend? Thx.

Yes to both: the program I'm attending is more or less designed to prepare people for research-oriented experimental PhD programs, with experimental meaning all areas of psychology that involve research. The training is not the least bit applied, which differentiates it from most MA programs (counseling, clinical, MSW). It includes graduate seminars in all the major subdisciplines, and close mentorship by a faculty member in independent research leading to a thesis. Many students gain a publication before leaving; everyone at least presents at a conference. Whether or not it significantly improves my chances of getting interviews, I'm confident it will help me once I get to the interview, and definitely if/when I start a program. It's also fully funded, which was important to me when I considered paths to re-training.

Without saying exactly where I am, for the sake of anonymity and the simple pleasure of mystery, it is one of the below MA programs, which I think are the most respected (and mostly funded):

William and Mary
Villanova
Wake Forest
Wesleyan
Western Washington University (in Bellingham, WA)
University of Richmond

im applying this fall for clinical phd..- taking the general gre the end of the month, then psych in november.
i have a masters in developmental psych, a couple of publications, good research experience, good recommendations, decent grades, so im hoping i'll luck out somewhere.
dont know exactly where im applying yet, basically i'll go anywhere that will take me...such a crapshoot!

sooo overwhelming, what the hell is with this 5% acceptance rate???

PsychoEm said:
im applying this fall for clinical phd..- taking the general gre the end of the month, then psych in november.
i have a masters in developmental psych, a couple of publications, good research experience, good recommendations, decent grades, so im hoping i'll luck out somewhere.
dont know exactly where im applying yet, basically i'll go anywhere that will take me...such a crapshoot!

sooo overwhelming, what the hell is with this 5% acceptance rate???

sucks doesnt it??