I will stop my complaining! Wow! I applaud your stamina. I took the LSAT many years ago (so long ago that I cannot really recall what is on it...logic games?). Best of luck. Do you hope to pursue forensic psych?
Yes, Forensic Psych is the goal here and I hope I make it! My interests are in minority mental health, especially the female African-American population. I think studying BOTH makes you appreciate the other if that makes sense. Im not that worked up about the GRE subject test as I can bear down for that in October. But Ive already devised my schedule for September so im hoping to stick to that. Im getting married in May also so spending time to plan the wedding is included in that scehdule as well.
I have been told that the best recommenders are those who have completed PhD/PsyD programs themselves. I was an English major and then a lawyer, so I have no close relationships with any Psych professors. I recently completed Stats and Experimental Psych myself, but at a large impersonal city university. I am not really sure who to ask. My employer seems like a good choice.
My employer would be a good choice. I am supervised by a LICSW who is then supervised by a PHD. For some reason I am afraid to ask them, we have a good relationship but still I feel IFFY asking. I plan to ask a PHD from undergrad but she has a PHD in Criminal Justice. Also another JD from undergrad for the PsyD/JD program.
I think I may apply to Widener as well. I understand many students live in Philly and commute. Philly is a wonderful city. I do not think I would do well in the sticks.
I actually WANT to live in the sticks perhaps 15 minutes away from teh city as city life would surely be a distraction.
Is Life Span another name for Developmental Psychology?
Yes it is called Life Span and Human Development.
What are you doing for clinical experience?
Right now I am doing social work with a outpatient mental health agency. I work with women who have extensive trauma histories (sexual, physical, emotional abuse), dually diagnosed, medically compromised (some not all) and most are homeless or living in transitional living situtions. I provide case management, counseling, and working with them especially on self soothing techniques when they become symptomatic and/or prevention of re-victimization. We are working on a study that is measuring a group/individual intervention (developed by our clinical director) for these women to determine its effects on mental health and stabilization. So far so good and its been WONDERFUL experience albeit draining emotionally and physically at times.