Boring
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Fixing in 10% neutral buffered formalin
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Boards passings rates for 2006: http://www.abpath.org/200701newsltr.htm

Total candidates: AP 77% passed (of 775), CP 74% passed (of 724)
First time takers: AP 87% passed (of 605), CP 81% passed (of 556)
Repeaters: AP 42% passed (of 170), CP 49% passed (of 168)

Can see the subspecialty boards passing rates also
BB: 77%
Cyto: 80%
DP: 69%
FP: 68%
Heme: 73%

There were 488 new combined AP/CP boards passers this year.

pathstudent

Sound Kapital
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
An almost 90% pass rate for first time takes or AP, and an 80% pass rate for first time takers on CP?

The way people freak out about it, I thought it was like a 50% rate at most.

It is not that much different than the pass rate from USMLE exams (95%).

Regarding the low dermpath pass rate, it must be all those dermie trained people dragging the curve down.

mlw03

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
forgive my ignorance on this topic, but i figure this is a good place to get some clarity. in a lot of specialties you see advertisements for "BC/BE" physicians. in pathology is actually passing the boards more important than in many other specialties?

thanks yaah for posting those numbers.

About the Ads

pathdawg

15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2004
Status (Visible)
Interesting. Those numbers are significantly higher than those of previous years.

To answer the above question, yes, it is supremely important in the job market to be board certified (not just board eligible).

garfield

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2003
Status (Visible)
Great. Since the numbers are significantly higher, they'll probably make the exam harder for those taking it this time.

djmd

an Antediluvian
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Yeah super make it harder this year.. :mad:

And BE is not officially recognized. However jobs do say they are looking for BC/BE. Officially BE does not exist.

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Great. Since the numbers are significantly higher, they'll probably make the exam harder for those taking it this time.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that - pathology got a lot more competitive in the past few years, and some of the numbers may be related simply to the bigger number of better candidates simply finishing residency and applying to take the boards. I think the boards test a set of knowledge and if more people know it, then more people will pass it.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
15+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
wow those numbers are way high. interesting.

PathOne

Derminatrix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2004
Skin City
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hmm. Wonder if:
A) Exams are getting easier.
B) Training has improved, or
C) New path crops are simply smarter.

Probably C). *LOL*. Noticing that pass rates seems to be rising across the board, also a pretty big jump for Dermpath'ies compared to years past.

pathdawg

15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2004
Status (Visible)
Hmm. Wonder if:

Lets see:

A) Exams are getting easier. Possible or perhaps they have implimented a curve.
B) Training has improved. Doubtful.
C) New path crops are simply smarter. Extremely doubtful.

I am going for the curve hypothesis.

simonsays

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2005
Status (Visible)
Hmm. Wonder if:

or

D) They changed the grading system this year.

Most likely D. Rather than being scored relative to everyone taking the test with you, there are now minimum passing criteria. So now you pass or fail on your own merits.

About the Ads

PathOne

Derminatrix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2004
Skin City
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Really? I actually always thought that it was based on minimum passing scores, as I have assumed that the central point in board examinations is to insure, that succesful test-takers have command of an adequate body of knowledge, and are capable of examining biopsies etc. with sufficient competency. It would make little sense for me, if they'd just automatically weed out the xx% at the bottom of a curve, regardless of their overall competency.

But then again, I've really never looked into the mechanics of board exam grading.

djmd

an Antediluvian
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
http://www.abpath.org/Questions.htm
How are the examinations graded?

The examinations this year will be graded using a criterion-based method. That means there will be a set passing score, which will be a 3-digit scale score, that must be met in order to pass the examination.

Of course ABP hasn't updated their page since last year... too busy counting money I think.

PathOne

Derminatrix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2004
Skin City
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
So, either the questions are getting easier, or the applicants are smarter?! OR the final conspiratorial reason: ABP finances are now such, that there's no need to insure that xx% of test-takers would have to fail, in order to increase fee income from previously failed reapplicants... hehe

djmd

an Antediluvian
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
So, either the questions are getting easier, or the applicants are smarter?! OR the final conspiratorial reason: ABP finances are now such, that there's no need to insure that xx% of test-takers would have to fail, in order to increase fee income from previously applicants hehe...
The ABP realized with the re-certification they will make MORE money if they pass more people, then more people will have to retake it.

dermpathlover

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'm shocked at the DP pass rate considering we are composed of dermatologists (the best and brightest from med school) and the most competitive path residents. What's up with that?

PathOne

Derminatrix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2004
Skin City
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm shocked at the DP pass rate considering we are composed of dermatologists (the best and brightest from med school) and the most competitive path residents. What's up with that?

Ehh, have you ever seen a DP board examination test? It's designed by a select group of certifiable masochists, who take the outmost pleasure in not only asking questions on the most arcane diseases in the spectrum of skin diseases, but also even more so in setting up the most subtle of traps, which frequently work as desired. Regardless of your training, intensive board work-up seminars are HIGHLY encouraged. Trust me, I don't think pass rates have ever been as high as is apparently the case in the most recent examination.

As is well-known, there's some 1,800 different dx'es in Dermpath. And apparently several on the examination board will insist, that you HAVE to know all of them! :laugh:

Interesting question, btw, is which of the two groups has the highest pass rates. My guess would be the Derms, due to their better knowledge of the clinical side -- there's only so much you can learn in the time alotted for clinical derm in a fellowship.

djmd

an Antediluvian
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Good job PathOne now DPL is going to have go study for derm boards now...
:mad:

ok he is gone.
so, Seriously PathOne good job.:smuggrin:

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

The most competitive applicants are not always the best and the brightest. I would think you would know this by now.

dermpathlover

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
The most competitive applicants are not always the best and the brightest. I would think you would know this by now.

yeah the best and the brightest don't pass USMLE with high marks, don't get honors and don't rock the vote like dermatology residents:laugh: :laugh:

djmd

an Antediluvian
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
yeah the best and the brightest don't pass USMLE with high marks, don't get honors and don't rock the vote like dermatology residents

Is that why you had to settle for Dermpath rather than Derm? You are neither the best or the brightest?

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
yeah the best and the brightest don't pass USMLE with high marks, don't get honors and don't rock the vote like dermatology residents:laugh: :laugh:

Again, you're assuming that people who get good scores and are highly intelligent are the ones getting all the fellowships. There are also quite a few *******es out there who manage to do well on standardized tests. I've met a few, haven't you? Board exams are a little bit of a different animal than the USMLEs and the MCATs.

A lot of fellowships are given out because of timing, luck, publication record, and who you know. Test taking ability has very little to do with any of these.

PathOne

Derminatrix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2004
Skin City
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Again, you're assuming that people who get good scores and are highly intelligent are the ones getting all the fellowships. There are also quite a few *******es out there who manage to do well on standardized tests. I've met a few, haven't you? Board exams are a little bit of a different animal than the USMLEs and the MCATs.

A lot of fellowships are given out because of timing, luck, publication record, and who you know. Test taking ability has very little to do with any of these.

You are absolutely and utterly wrong, Dear Sir. But since you haven't yet completed your three required Fellowships, you could be forgiven.

Absolutely everybody knows, that selection of Fellows is a highly rigorous and scientific process, where everything from your shoesize to your maternal grandmother's preference for small dog breeds are taken into account.

Just as the poor premeds believes, that the whole ADCOM system is actually a front, and everything is decided by GPA's, BCPM's, BPM's and MCAT scores, so it is when selecting Fellows. It's a numbers game, baby, with due consideration of co-variable parameters such as hair color and eating preferences.

Personally, I have moved from victory to victory in the bloody Fellowship fight with my outstandingly average record from Wallaballoo Outback Medical College, and received everything I wanted solely on the basis of my shockingly good looks and flirtatious nature! :D

djmd

an Antediluvian
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Absolutely everybody knows, that selection of Fellows is a highly rigorous and scientific process, where everything from your shoesize to your maternal grandmother's preference for small dog breeds are taken into account.

I told Grandma to get a small dog, but NO, SHE insisted on the Bernese Mountain Dog, thank god she didn't get an English Mastiff, I would had to drop out of residency.

mcfaddens

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

"Rock the vote"?!? Thats the gayest thing ive heard so far this year! But I am so very happy that DPL is back.

PathOne

Derminatrix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2004
Skin City
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
WHAT? You haven't heard about Rock The Vote - DP Style?
Then, obviously, you probably haven't even seen the classic:

Austin Powers IV - Under Your Skin

Featuring:
Bernie Ackerman as Austin Powers,
Hideko Kamino as Foxxy Felicity Cleopatra Shagwell,
Philip LeBoit as Scott Evil,
and Martin Mihm as Basil Exposito...

Trust me, NOBODY will be ANYBODY in Dermpath, if they haven't seen the movie and Rocked the Vote, Skinny style...

Adrian Cocot

15+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2003
Status (Visible)
http://www.abpath.org/Questions.htm

Of course ABP hasn't updated their page since last year... too busy counting money I think.

Ding ding ding.

The criterion based method of grading is a big reason for the increasing pass rates. That, and all the fourth year residents studying their asses off because of the two graduating classes probably had something to do with it.

And praying. That seems to help the CP portion.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.