2006 COMLEX scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

delicatefade

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard any updates/rumors on when they will get around to releasing the COMLEX scores from this year??? I've heard anywhere from August-October. :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Just got my scores, what a relief and on the first day of rotations. It is like a birthday.

When did you take your COMLEX, May, or June? Alot of folks here are waiting for their June scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great, but can anyone tell me anything about how to interpret my score?? I mean granted 500 is the mean but what if I get 600 or 700, or and 86 or and 96???? Help please

here is what i posted on another thread:

I spent a few hours researching this, and found that there is very little information. However I did find a few numbers.

all of johns hopkins anaethesiology applicants had >600 on step 1.

most programs weight the 2 digit scores evenly, saying that USMLE or COMLEX be > 80 or other such number.

Sorry I don't have more info, but 600 really seems to be the "cutoff" to the highly competative specialties. I did find one school update that touted 14 students having greater than 600 on step 1 for whatever year it was. so that seems to support that hypothesis.

Hope it helps.

question: I scored in the 97th percentile, how is it that my 2 digit score is a 92? I know that the 2 digit is not a percentile, but I had a lower percentile on the USMLE, but got a 99. It just seems a bit odd.

Posted by the TCOM Academic Dean today by email:

Dear Student Doctors.

I know that many of you are anxious about the recent level I COMLEX scores. Our new third years have worked hard in preparation for this examination. The exam results for those students who took the exam in May and June have now been released.

Out of a total of 116 students from TCOM who took the examination in May and June, we have a 100% pass rate. I will provide more statistics on these scores, once I sort thru them and have them available.

Everyone, please join me in giving the class of 2008 a round of applause and a hearty congratulations for their job well done. Congratulations to all of you in the class of 2008.

Dr. Bruce Dubin
Associate Dean
TCOM

I spent a few hours researching this, and found that there is very little information. However I did find a few numbers.

most programs weight the 2 digit scores evenly, saying that USMLE or COMLEX be > 80 or other such number.

Sorry I don't have more info, but 600 really seems to be the "cutoff" to the highly competative specialties. I did find one school update that touted 14 students having greater than 600 on step 1 for whatever year it was. so that seems to support that hypothesis.

Hope it helps.

question: I scored in the 97th percentile, how is it that my 2 digit score is a 92? I know that the 2 digit is not a percentile, but I had a lower percentile on the USMLE, but got a 99. It just seems a bit odd.

Based on my own research I have to agree that >600 is needed for the most competative residencies.

ABout your 2 digit, I don't know, I got 92 but am in the 94th percentile just seems like the 2 digit is more confusing then helpful.

How did you get a percentile on your USMLE step 1 report? I thought they just gave a 3 digit and 2 digit score and cancelled the percentile. Is it hidden on my score report somewhere?

Thanks

How did you get a percentile on your USMLE step 1 report? I thought they just gave a 3 digit and 2 digit score and cancelled the percentile. Is it hidden on my score report somewhere?

Thanks

IF you subtract your score from the average and then divide that by the SD you get your Z score. do a google search for z score tables and look up your z score for a percentile.

or you can estimate it, 1 standard deviation above is 90th%, and 2 above is 97th ish. if your in between SD's you can estimate it from there

Hope it helps.

Where, I repeat, WHERE are you coming up with your PERCENTAGE? The don't give is a percentage other than telling you that the average is 500/79. How are you coming up with a percent?

you know, as smart as med students are, i guess stats are something that is over looked.

given a mean and standard deviation you can figure out what percentile you were. google helps. im sorry for being snarky but i mean come the frick on.

Members don't see this ad :)
The following information is from the NBOME website.

The mean 3-digit standard scores of all three written examinations are 500, regardless of when the examinations are given.

Standard deviations of COMLEX written examination 3-digit scores are Level-specific and time-specific. For Level 1 examinations given between 1998 and 2001, the standard deviation is 71; from 2002 to October 2005, the standard deviation is 79; From May 2006 to present, the standard deviation is 79

So anyone can calculate their percentile now :D

IF you subtract your score from the average and then divide that by the SD you get your Z score. do a google search for z score tables and look up your z score for a percentile.

or you can estimate it, 1 standard deviation above is 90th%, and 2 above is 97th ish. if your in between SD's you can estimate it from there

1 SD above is 84th %, not 90th.

If anyone used the Kaplan most recent COMLEX books (2006) the blue ones please contact me asap by PM.

Thanks,

BMW-

What about MD residencies that accept COMLEX scores? Do you think they would still rather see both COMLEX and USMLE?

What if you did much better on your COMLEX?

Thanks

July scores out!!:D

Why is the 2-digit score so ******ed? My percentile is 6 points higher than my 2-digit...this makes the score not look as good to residency programs.

Just got my scores, what a relief and on the first day of rotations. It is like a birthday.

Hey... I DON'T CARE.

To all of you, can you please start posting your scores and relevant backstories... I think I speak for many current 1st and 2nd years in that we all love you, but we don't really care about your feelings - we want to see scores hence this thread on an anonymous forum.

Hey... I DON'T CARE.

To all of you, can you please start posting your scores and relevant backstories... I think I speak for many current 1st and 2nd years in that we all love you, but we don't really care about your feelings - we want to see scores hence this thread on an anonymous forum.

lol...here ya go masterbeaster. i mean beastmaster ;)

COMLEX Level I: 646/92
USLME Step I: 238/96

COMLEX Qbank: 84%, 90s last month
COMLEX sample: 100%
USMLE Qbank: 76%, 80s last month
USMLERx: 75%
Released 150: 88%
NBME4: 238 (2 days before USMLE)
NBME3: 238 (10 days before USMLE)
NBME1: 221 (2 wks before USMLE)
NBME2: 206 (3 wks before USMLE)
NBME1: 186 (before starting studying)

Here's what I had to say about the COMLEX after I took it (in other thread):

"I guess the test was about what I expected. Not as hard as I feared and not as easy as I hoped. I marked every question I wasn't sure about, and out of each block of 50 there were 10-15 that I marked, and 3-5 of those I wouldn't be able to narrow down to 2 choices. There were a few "wtf" questions that you couldn't find in any review book, and I don't think are even covered in medschool. Overall I have no idea how I did because for a lot of it I was tearing through it, and then I would hit ones that stumped me."

Hey... I DON'T CARE.

I normally don't get cranky with posters, but this statement caught me the wrong way. when you have finished both of the first two years of medical schools and have taken a test that has a significant impact on your future, you want to express relief.

I understand that you're antsy to get the board process underway and that you are stressed with classes but comeone, get a grip. Play nice with others and they'll play nice with you.

On that note:

NBME 1 = 620 (242) 3 days before
qbank (USMLE and COMLEX) = 100% complete 75% average, 80-90% in last week
Step 1 = 245/99 felt like crap coming out of the test.
Comlex = 649/92

started studying about middle of second quarter of 2nd year at least a couple hours a day. 2 months 12-18 hour days 7 days a week. started with weakest areas first and continued to evaluate and change as time went on. A little below the SDN average but there is certainly a selection bias here. I am extremely happy with my scores... Family practice isn't all that competative.

COMLEX I: 772/99
did not take USMLE
COMLEX Qbank: 85%
USMLE Qbank: 80%

Started studying on March 1 and took the exam May 31- took a systems based approach covering physiology, pathology, micro, and pharm. Did each system for about 3 days the first time. Once I was finished with all the systems, I started over but only did 2 days. After that, I spent 1 final day on each system. By this time, it was sometime in May and I had time to hone in on my weaker areas and study anatomy and OMM.

Books:
Step Up (both books)
First Aid (only for biochem and pharm)
Pharm Recall
Micro Ridiculously Simple
BRS Physio
RR Path + Goljan lectures + Goljan notes + Goljan HY
Savarese for OMM
Dubin for EKG
Kaplan+Webprep only for behavioral science

I had a lot of micro, a lot of cancer drugs, a lot of psych drugs, some jacked up x-rays and CT scans, almost no cranial, and lots of sacral and viscerosomatics.

COMLEX I: 772/99
did not take USMLE
COMLEX Qbank: 85%
USMLE Qbank: 80%

Started studying on March 1 and took the exam May 31- took a systems based approach covering physiology, pathology, micro, and pharm. Did each system for about 3 days the first time. Once I was finished with all the systems, I started over but only did 2 days. After that, I spent 1 final day on each system. By this time, it was sometime in May and I had time to hone in on my weaker areas and study anatomy and OMM.

Books:
Step Up (both books)
First Aid (only for biochem and pharm)
Pharm Recall
Micro Ridiculously Simple
BRS Physio
RR Path + Goljan lectures + Goljan notes + Goljan HY
Savarese for OMM
Dubin for EKG
Kaplan+Webprep only for behavioral science

I had a lot of micro, a lot of cancer drugs, a lot of psych drugs, some jacked up x-rays and CT scans, almost no cranial, and lots of sacral and viscerosomatics.

772, you're sick. What field are you going into?

July scores are out, so those who took it in July check your scores out online

COMLEX I: 578/87
USMLE I: 227/92

Both are not excellent, but I hope good enough to get me into the residency I want (thinking of IM). It's interesting how COMLEX 2 digit score can't still be compared with USMLE 2 digit score b/c if you calculate from the average and SD for each, I'm right at the 84 percentile in COMLEX and about 67 percentile in USMLE, but both 2 digit scores are different. I thought the reason NBOME changed their score system on COMLEX is to allow the residency committee to compare these 2 exams....apparently, there must be some other way...I have no idea...

Hey... I DON'T CARE.

Hey **** head, you want scores, check the other comlex forums I have posted them about 20 times. But for people who don't know how to search other threads here you go. 643/92

July scores are out, so those who took it in July check your scores out online

COMLEX I: 578/87
USMLE I: 227/92

...I'm right at the 84 percentile in COMLEX and about 67 percentile in USMLE, but both 2 digit scores are different. ...

How do you know your percentile? There is not percentile reported on NBOME web page. 84 percentile for 87 2DS seems a little low. Suppose they plan to cut of 10% with a FAIL ==> "75" (FAIL cut off) 2-digit score should be about 1.3 SD from the mean. Further suppose, SD = 5 (which is high for COMLEX historically) ==> mean should be about 81.5. ==> with quite generous allowance for SD you should be a little above 1 SD from the mean and that should give you at least 87 percentile.

How do you know your percentile? There is not percentile reported on NBOME web page. 84 percentile for 87 2DS seems a little low. Suppose they plan to cut of 10% with a FAIL ==> "75" (FAIL cut off) 2-digit score should be about 1.3 SD from the mean. Further suppose, SD = 5 (which is high for COMLEX historically) ==> mean should be about 81.5. ==> with quite generous allowance for SD you should be a little above 1 SD from the mean and that should give you at least 87 percentile.

Huh? His score is 1 SD above the mean, that is 84th percentile. (mean 500 SD 79).