2006 Interview Trail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
borrowed this from another forum but thought it'd be really helpful

Name of program: Nassau

Where to stay: I stayed at the Wingate Inn which was about 10 min from the VA (where the interview begins). $90 + tax nice hotel

Breakdown of interviews:
Begin at 8:30 at the VA at Northport, talked with the Dr who ran things for the resident there, talked with 1 resident there. we were supposed to have interviews there but that did not happen. finished around 10am and we headed to Nassau Medical Center about 30 min away. Waited around until noon for lunch and had lunch with the residents. Around 1 the interviews began. There were 4 total interviews. Expect to be there late if you don't have a flight

Pros: friendly residents. they seemed happy to be there. they all said they thought they would be well trained. those that have wanted fellowships have gotten them. program director seemed very involved and friendly. long island is a nice place to live, close to nyc, etc.

Cons: facilities. supposedly they are moving into the hospital in jan/feb of 07. no technicians to screen patients (i don't think). not much supervision at NUMC. didn't seem to have the best surgical numbers. lots of travel. you have to cover Stonybrook, NUMC and the Va and they are about 45min-1hr apart.

well that's a start. please add, i think it'll be helpful to all!

Members don't see this ad.