2006 Match lists for Caribbean schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

too soon.

While I believe american schools receive match information. Foreign med schools compile a list from students telling the school where they matched.

so best bet is to check in like a month or more. I forget how long it usually takes. check out valuemd.com

it'll get mentioned there a long before it gets mentioned on these boards
 
Hey everybody! Great news yesterday...got into my #1 choice GW (George Washington) in DC for Emergency Medicine!!! Will do my transitional year at Georgetown...also my 1st choice! I'm so excited! 😍

As for the complete match lists....I'm sure they'll have the details up on the respective websites in a few days as the info starts coming in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SabaEM said:
Hey everybody! Great news yesterday...got into my #1 choice GW (George Washington) in DC for Emergency Medicine!!! Will do my transitional year at Georgetown...also my 1st choice! I'm so excited! 😍

As for the complete match lists....I'm sure they'll have the details up on the respective websites in a few days as the info starts coming in.

congrats SabaEM!!!! 👍 👍
 
SabaEM said:
Hey everybody! Great news yesterday...got into my #1 choice GW (George Washington) in DC for Emergency Medicine!!! Will do my transitional year at Georgetown...also my 1st choice! I'm so excited! 😍

As for the complete match lists....I'm sure they'll have the details up on the respective websites in a few days as the info starts coming in.

Yeah Congrats! I'm pretty sure I met you on an interview at Yale. I'm the guy from SGU. I ended up matching at Eastern VA also my first choice. Incidentally my roomate also matched at GW in EM.
 
Like Bevo mentioned, the Carib matched lists are volunteered by graduates so not always a complete list.
 
McGillGrad said:
Like Bevo mentioned, the Carib matched lists are volunteered by graduates so not always a complete list.


That's not encouraging. I wanted to know the facts. Thanks.
 
SabaEM said:
Hey everybody! Great news yesterday...got into my #1 choice GW (George Washington) in DC for Emergency Medicine!!! Will do my transitional year at Georgetown...also my 1st choice! I'm so excited! 😍

As for the complete match lists....I'm sure they'll have the details up on the respective websites in a few days as the info starts coming in.


Heyy,
I'm not too familiar with residencies. I was just wondering what a transitional year was? and how many years does an emergency medicine residency take..do you have to do 3 years of internal medicine and then specialize? I was just curious I'm applying to med schools right now.
Thanks!
 
sharp : I dont have the website for it (As there are probably numerous websites for that) to explain how long each residency is and stuff. I think it was some washington state? website

these are the matches I've heard about

UCLA for Anesthesiology
Loyola for Psychiatry
OBGyne in West Virginia
Scattering of medicine and family prac matches
Not sure about this, thought I heard about a Rads match at Cook County

Im not really rotating with a ton of students now, so I dont hear as much.
 
I am so happy to hear that Caribbean grads are able to get EM residencies. I went back to school later in life with the idea of going into Emergency medicine. Many people have been discouraging aobut being able to get into anything but IM or FP.
 
Baditude said:
I am so happy to hear that Caribbean grads are able to get EM residencies. I went back to school later in life with the idea of going into Emergency medicine. Many people have been discouraging aobut being able to get into anything but IM or FP.

And most people think that Saddam had something to do with 9/11, so that puts the mindset of the average person into perspective and reminds you about how little people actually know outside of their tiny little world.
 
McGillGrad said:
And most people think that Saddam had something to do with 9/11, so that puts the mindset of the average person into perspective and reminds you about how little people actually know outside of their tiny little world.

Most people do not think that Saddam had something to do with 9/11
Haven't you seen the polls?
 
penguins said:
Most people do not think that Saddam had something to do with 9/11
Haven't you seen the polls?

Doubt me again and you shall get a spanking for being a sheeple. :laugh:

In 2003 70% believed

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2003-09-06-poll-iraq_x.htm

In 2005 64% believed

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/index.asp?PID=544

Today 72% of Troops in Iraq believe

http://zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1075

If you want to haijack this thread...don't. Start a new one somewhere else. I have made my point and will not reply to anything else about this in this thread.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hii,
In some of the threads that i was reading, it said that carribean schools get the left over residencies --the ones people here don't want. I was considering SGU. Do you guys know if that's true or if its just a rumor made up to make carribean schools look bad?
Thanks!
 
McGillGrad said:
Doubt me again and you shall get a spanking for being a sheeple. :laugh:

In 2003 70% believed

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2003-09-06-poll-iraq_x.htm

In 2005 64% believed

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/index.asp?PID=544

Today 72% of Troops in Iraq believe

http://zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1075

If you want to haijack this thread...don't. Start a new one somewhere else. I have made my point and will not reply to anything else about this in this thread.

Um, you started it. You are screwing with the polls. I will continue to doubt you. Thanks.
The phrase "something to do with" is highly non-specific. Did he tell OBL what to do? No. Did he support him with money and moral? Yes. Most people know he didn't mastermind the event. That is what I meant. Who knows what you meant.
You brought it up. You can't throw that crap out there and then not expect to get called on it.
 
sharp said:
Hii,
In some of the threads that i was reading, it said that carribean schools get the left over residencies --the ones people here don't want. I was considering SGU. Do you guys know if that's true or if its just a rumor made up to make carribean schools look bad?
Thanks!

That is a complicated answer. Basically, as a carib grad you are at a big disadvantage when compared to or competing against the US grads. A lot depend on what you bring to the table though - you determine your grades, board scores, LORs and interview skills.
The more competitive the program is, the more likely that is popular among US grads, therefore, the less likely carib grads are able to get.
The aren't really "left over" but it depends on how you look at it. Left over implies the scramble and lots of carib grads don't have to go that route (but a lot do).
 
McGillGrad said:
And most people think that Saddam had something to do with 9/11, so that puts the mindset of the average person into perspective and reminds you about how little people actually know outside of their tiny little world.
When the Bush administration stated that they make no distinguishment between terrorists and those who harbor them in the post 9/11, pre-invasion period, and when they went off on specifically naming the countries comprising the axis of evil....they were in no way, shape or form trying to implicate an association between 9/11, terrorism and Iraq. Surely, you are not suggesting our noble leaders fabricated a disingenious association that would serve to maintain american public support for the Iraq war for years to follow? Good God, next you'll be telling us that the CIA and not Saddam are actually the ones who recruited and trained Osama Bin Laden against the Russians. You should really listen more diligently to Bill O' Reilly. 🙄

P.S: For those missing the "oh...I get it! they're being facetious/sarcastic...hence the rolleyes".....I am being COMPLETELY serious!
 
sharp said:
Hii,
In some of the threads that i was reading, it said that carribean schools get the left over residencies --the ones people here don't want. I was considering SGU. Do you guys know if that's true or if its just a rumor made up to make carribean schools look bad?
Thanks!

45.3% of US residents graduating from foreign schools didn't match in 2005. 93.7% of US graduates did. However, a lot of those FMGs did find a spot in the ensuing scramble. It may not have been what they originally wanted to do, but a lot of them did find a spot and are now on the way to being called, "doctor." That's what "left over" really means.
 
scpod said:
45.3% of US residents graduating from foreign schools didn't match in 2005. 93.7% of US graduates did. However, a lot of those FMGs did find a spot in the ensuing scramble. It may not have been what they originally wanted to do, but a lot of them did find a spot and are now on the way to being called, "doctor." That's what "left over" really means.
just to clarify...that 45.3% does not include those who prematched and are not included in the 2005 NMRP data. Many FMGs are offered prematch positions at various institutions around the country.This very subject was discussed in the anesthesiology forum a couple of weeks back, as some USMGs were complaining that prematching for IMGs and DOs gave unfair advantages to these groups.
 
penguins said:
That is a complicated answer. Basically, as a carib grad you are at a big disadvantage when compared to or competing against the US grads. A lot depend on what you bring to the table though - you determine your grades, board scores, LORs and interview skills.
The more competitive the program is, the more likely that is popular among US grads, therefore, the less likely carib grads are able to get.
The aren't really "left over" but it depends on how you look at it. Left over implies the scramble and lots of carib grads don't have to go that route (but a lot do).

penguins is correct; it all depends on a number of parameters, some of which are under your direct control.

My fellow SGU classmates managed to get some very good residencies this past Match. I'd say maybe 20 or so matched into ER, a good number into Anesthesiology, one guy matched into ENT at Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan (granted, this is the exception more than the rule, but it can be done if you work hard). We had a few match into Categorical Surgery...We also have I think 2 who went unmatched in Anesthesiology, but by-and-large, everyone did quite well. SGU will probably be posting the 2006 match results within the next month or so I would guess.

I should also tell you that, because we are "foreign" grads, we are allowed to sign with programs outside the match, and many of us (including myself) did. I think that is the one advantage to being from a foreign school.

So, again, good residencies can be obtained from a foreign school. A lot depends on what you do to make yourself stand out from the crowd. The more competitive residencies are, obviously, more difficult for everyone.
 
sharp said:
Hii,
In some of the threads that i was reading, it said that carribean schools get the left over residencies --the ones people here don't want. I was considering SGU. Do you guys know if that's true or if its just a rumor made up to make carribean schools look bad?
Thanks!

I'm an EM resident from SGU finishing 1st year. I can tell you that ANY of SGU's grads that have good board scores and have a decent head on their shoulders will get an ER residency if they play it smart. This means applying to programs that have a track record of taking SGU grads. This also means taking a shot at programs that may not have a record (because we get into these every year and expand the list of those who will take us), but keeping in mind that come match day it may be best to put only one of these at the very top of your list, keeping the programs that aren't prejudiced up high. There are many SGU grads in Emergency Medicine, both as new attendings and as veterans of the field. You need to seek them out, see where they are and start communicating your interest early. This is what seperates the SGU grads who make it in with maybe lesser board scores, grades, etc. I'm not talking about ass kissing though, I'm talking about research, or working over any breaks you may have...showing interest without falling all over the guy/gal to say "look at me, look at me..." Don't be a tool, in other words. Good luck, keep focused and don't make excuses for yourself.
 
I'm an SGU grad currently finishing an ER residency at what I consider a very good program. I moving on soon to a job I'm very happy to have landed and would be happy to talk to anyone about the process that is considering going into EM.
 
Thanks for your responses!
Is it hard to get an internal medicine subspecialty like cardiology if you are an SGU grad? I know internal medicine isn't that hard to get...do you guys know if you declare the subspecialty right away when you apply for a residency or you can decide what subspecialty you want to do later?
Thanks 🙂
 
sharp said:
Thanks for your responses!
Is it hard to get an internal medicine subspecialty like cardiology if you are an SGU grad? I know internal medicine isn't that hard to get...do you guys know if you declare the subspecialty right away when you apply for a residency or you can decide what subspecialty you want to do later?
Thanks 🙂

As you pointed out IM isn't that hard to get. You can get into a solid IM program even if you aren't a superstar coming from SGU. Coming from a good IM program seems to be very important in determining if you get a fellowship in cards, gi or whatever. So by the time you are applying for a fellowship where you went to school shouldnt make much difference at all. Still though cards is quite competitive but if you are from a decent IM program I'd say you are pretty much on level footing as anyone else.
 
Hii,
In a lot of these threads it says that caribbean students aren't advised as well as their U.S. counterparts. I know this is a generalization, and I was wondering if this is the case at SGU? Do they have clinical advisors and support groups and stuff..I know they say so in their websites, but are they actually effective or do people feel like they have to just figure things out for themselves?
Thanks!