2006 released questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DREDAY

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are several tough dental morphology questions in the 2006 released packet. Can anyon help answering them?

1.Which of the following represents the location of the lingual height of contour on the crown of the mandibular second premolar?
a. middle third
b. occlusal thrid

NBDE book and decks say middle third. THE ANSWER says occlusal. WHY?

2.A patient presents with symptoms of an acute abscess on the maxillary left lateral incisor. There are no clinical signs of decay or restoration. Radiographically, which of the following will most likely be shown as the cause of the abscess?
a. agenesis
b. dilaceration
c. concrescence
d. dens in dente (ans)
e. enamel pearl

Is there a reason D is the answer? or is it just something you memorize?

3.When the mandible performs a laterotrusive movement, the laterotrusive-side condyle moves primarily about which of the following axes?
a. vertical (ans)
b. sagittal
c. horizontal
d. transverse

The laterotrusive side = the non working side. Doesnt the non working side move primarily laterally via BENNET movement. If so doesnt it mean it moves in the horizontal axes?

4. WHich of the following primary grooves uniting in the distal pit on the occlusal surface of the mandibular second molar represents the one that normally has no counterpart in the distal pit of the first molar?
a. distolingual
b. df triangular (ans)
c. dl triangular
d. distal marginal
e. distal portion of the central

HOW THE F are we supposed to know that???

Thanks in advance guys.

Members don't see this ad.

There are several tough dental morphology questions in the 2006 released packet. Can anyon help answering them?

1.Which of the following represents the location of the lingual height of contour on the crown of the mandibular second premolar?
a. middle third
b. occlusal thrid

NBDE book and decks say middle third. THE ANSWER says occlusal. WHY?
from kaplan its say the lingual height of contour of the mandibular posteriors is much more occlusal thatn the maxillary posteriors, even though both HOC can be located on the middle 3rd.

2.A patient presents with symptoms of an acute abscess on the maxillary left lateral incisor. There are no clinical signs of decay or restoration. Radiographically, which of the following will most likely be shown as the cause of the abscess?
a. agenesis
b. dilaceration
c. concrescence
d. dens in dente (ans)
e. enamel pearl

Is there a reason D is the answer? or is it just something you memorize?

yeah its someting you have to memorize

3.When the mandible performs a laterotrusive movement, the laterotrusive-side condyle moves primarily about which of the following axes?
a. vertical (ans)
b. sagittal
c. horizontal
d. transverse

The laterotrusive side = the non working side. Doesnt the non working side move primarily laterally via BENNET movement. If so doesnt it mean it moves in the horizontal axes?

i think you got mixed up, mediotrusive is the non working side, and laterotrusive is the working side. and Bennet shift is incorporated on the working side. And to answer the question, on the working side, the condyle primarly rotates on a vertical plane on a pure lateral movent.

4. WHich of the following primary grooves uniting in the distal pit on the occlusal surface of the mandibular second molar represents the one that normally has no counterpart in the distal pit of the first molar?
a. distolingual
b. df triangular (ans)
c. dl triangular
d. distal marginal
e. distal portion of the central

HOW THE F are we supposed to know that???

my would guess is that the d triangular fossa has the boundaries of he DL, D, and ML cusp hence the name triangular fossa.

by the way where did you get a copy of the 2006 exam? Did you buy frm the ADA students store at chicago?

Members don't see this ad :)
guys need some help ..

In COPD why there is no decrease in PH I understand that it is buffered by kidney Hco3- if thats the case PH wont be a stimulator unless renal failure if there is any explanation please let me know
thanks

There are several tough dental morphology questions in the 2006 released packet. Can anyon help answering them?...

1. When viewed from the proximal, the lingual HOC in both maxillary and mandibular premolars is in the middle third. If you have the released '89 exam, you can see an answer to a similar question (#48 in the dental anatomy portion). Woelfel also states the above in "Dental Anatomy: It's Relevance to Dentistry" (I have the 6th ed.), and states that some premolars may exhibit a lingual HOC a bit more oclussal in the middle third than others, but all are within the middle third. If faced with a similar question on the exam, I'd stick with the lingual HOC being in the middle third on all premolars.

2. Dens in dente is most often encountered in anterior teeth and it is not a true "tooth in a tooth" but represents the involution of the enamel organ into the dental papilla during development. It's often not totally sealed, and due to the anatomy it creates, is highly prone to caries with resulting pulpal infection/inflammation. Looking at a tooth doesn't always reveal the presence of dens in dente or the canal leading to it. Extraction is usually in order. The other options listed are anomalies that are usually asympotmatic, so looking at the question dens in dente would be my choice.

3. As dentheartthrob points out, the working condyle (laterotrusive) moves about a vertical axis while the non-working side moves downward and medial (mediotrusive).

4. If you think about the differences between the mandibular first and second permanent molars you can work your way to the answer. The mandibular permanent first molar has five cusps: two buccal, two lingual, and one distal. The mandibular permanent second molar only has four: two buccal and two lingual, and it is the most symmetric posterior tooth in either arch. Both teeth have a distal groove as part of their central fossa, but whereas the first molar ends at the junction of the distofacial groove and a distolingual extention saddling the distal cusp, the second molar ends in a distal triangular fossa due to its symmetry.

a. middle third
b. occlusal thrid

I would just memorize the below:
Anterior teeth: cervical third for both facial and lingual
Posterior teeth: cervical third (F) and middle third (L)

a. vertical (ans)
b. sagittal
c. horizontal
d. transverse

Non-working condyle moves downward, forward and medially
Working condyle (laterotrusive condyle) rotates about a vertical axis and translates laterally.

Good luck with your test!

Hey guys thank you for your replies. I still dont understand how the working side lateral movement is about a vertical axis and not a horizontal. Doesnt lateral movement = movement in horizontal plane?

Hey guys thank you for your replies. I still dont understand how the working side lateral movement is about a vertical axis and not a horizontal. Doesnt lateral movement = movement in horizontal plane?
It generally rotates around a vertical axis and then translates laterally which is the same as horizontally, right?

It generally rotates around a vertical axis and then translates laterally which is the same as horizontally, right?

HAHAHAH! Thanks. Yeah you are right. It rotates about a vertical axis. And Translates about a horizonal axis.

To understand this a bit better you can take a piece of paper and push your pen through the middle. Now, hold the pen vertically - this will be the vertical axis. With the other hand move the paper from side to side. Doing so causes the paper to rotate about this vertical axis. Now, if you were to hold the pen in a horizontal position and rotate the paper about it, the paper would be rotating about a horizontal axis. So yes, the mandible on the working side is moving in a horizontal plane about a vertical axis. If it were moving in a vertical plane, such as a straight opening of the mandible, the condyles would be rotating about a horizontal axis.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to my lecture notes in school, height of contour for all posterior teeth is middle third except mandibular 2nd premolar-which is in occlusal third. So the answer is correct. I"m pretty sure on this one.

Hi,

I am looking for explanation to the released NBDE I exams for the years 2003, 2005. Also, I am looking for any other released NBDE I exams with explanation after year 2000. If any one has information please let me know.

Thank you

hi
dreday i am intrested in buying all question papers which u have mentioned in ur mail will u plz give me ur contact number or mail id.

thanks
fatima

1. A patient has an extremely wide notched tooth in the mandibular left central incisor position. Clinical and radiographic examinations reveal 28 teeth have erupted but four third molars have not erupted. which of the following conditions exist?

A. fusion
B. dens in dente
C. concrescence
D. dilaceration
E. gemination

Ans. is gemination. I suppose ot shud be fusion as it says 28 tooth.

2. The proximal contact area between anterior teeth are incisal to the middile third of teeth. whick of the following is an exception to this rule.

A. Mesial contact of maxillary canine
B. Distal contact of maxillary canine
C. Mesail contact of maxillary lateral incisor
D. Mesial contact of mandibular lateral incisor

Ans. B

3. Which of the following primary grooves uniting in the distal pit on the occlusal surface of the mandibular second molar represent the one that normally has no counterpart in te distal pit of 1st molar

A. Distolingual
B. DF trianlge
C. DL triangular
D. Distal margin
E. distal portion of the central

Ans. B

4. In cusp-fossa contacting relationship in intercuspal position maxillary first premolar is most likely to articulate with which of the following anterior teeth.

A. Lateral incisor
B. Lateral incisor and canine
C. First premolar
D. Canine and firt premolar
E. first premoalr and second premolar

Ans. C but i feel it shud be E

5. Cellualr tropism by viruses is dependent on each of the following.

A. Host cell DNA homology to viral DNA
B. temperature of the host cell incubation
C. Gamma-interferon production
D. cell surface receptors
E. Viral enzyme synthesis

Ans. D

6. Each of the following attribute to hepatic failure except one.

A. Tremor
B. Gynecomastia
C. Mallory bodies
D. Hypoalbuminemia
E. spider telengiectasia

Ans is C. Why it isnt tremor. is there any association between tremor and liver failure. if yes can someone explain that.

thanks in advance

1. Sounds like fusion to me
2. the contacts are (from mesial/distal central, lateral, canine) maxillary=I/J, J/M, J/M and mandibular= I/I, I/I, I/M where I=incisal J=Junction of incisal and middle and M= middle. Therefore the distal of the maxillary canine is in the middle third and not at the junction of the incisal and middle third. Also, remember that the mandibular lateral incisor is more cervical than the mandibular central so it can look like it is in the junction.
3.??
4. I think E as well
5.Is this supposed to read...each of the following EXCEPT?? or Which ONE of the following?..I know that viruses need to attach to specific cell receptors in order to infect the cell.
6.hepatic encephalopathy (damage to brain cells due to inability of the liver to metabolize ammonia to urea) causes tremor.

according to the decks the signs of hepatic failure include:
gynecomasti
flapping tremor=liver flap
hypoalbuminemia
spider telangiectasias

Thanks guys... can someone just explain me this...i still dont get it...
3. Which of the following primary grooves uniting in the distal pit on the occlusal surface of the mandibular second molar represent the one that normally has no counterpart in te distal pit of 1st molar

A. Distolingual
B. DF trianlge
C. DL triangular
D. Distal margin
E. distal portion of the central

Ans. B

thanks

Guys please stop emailing me about sending to 2006 released exams. I will not send them to anyone as its distribution is not permited by the ADA. If you want one get it from the ADA or your school.

Which of the following does not cause malabsorption of vitamins, fats or proteins?
a.chronic gastritis
b.obstructive jaundice
c.ulcerative colitis
d.crohn's disease
e.giardiasis

Which of the following does not cause malabsorption of vitamins, fats or proteins?
a.chronic gastritis
b.obstructive jaundice
c.ulcerative colitis
d.crohn's disease
e.giardiasis

I would guess the answer is C, ulcerative colitis -- because it's the only condition listed that is limited to the colon. I think the colon is not really involved in the absorption of vitamins, fats, or proteins. All other diseases/conditions may involve other parts of the GI tract besides the colon...which would be more involved in the absorption of those substances.

Does anyone know the real answer?

Q. An injection of epinephrine into the left ventrical wall causes in increase in cardiac output .this is an examle of .
1. positive inotropic activity
2. heterometric autoregulation
3.steraling law of the heart
4.homeometric autoregulation

Q. An injection of epinephrine into the left ventrical wall causes in increase in cardiac output .this is an examle of .
2. heterometric autoregulation
3.steraling law of the heart
4.homeometric autoregulation

Thanks EINSTEIN for being so nice... you can literally swallow your 2006 questions or maybe insert them some where else, I really feel sorry for you.:thumbup:

a.chronic gastritis
b.obstructive jaundice
c.ulcerative colitis
d.crohn's disease
e.giardiasis

a. chronic gastritis (autoimmune gastritis = antibodies vs parietal cells so no
intrinsic factor)
b. obstructive jaundice (impedes release of lipase into duodenum so fat
soluble vitamins are not absorbed)
c. ulcerative colitis - (limited to large intestine no absorption of
vitamins, fats or proteins occur there)

d. Chron's disease - (primarily in illeocecal region so since terminal illeum is
usualyl involved there is decreased absorption of B12.)
e. giardiasis - (causes inflammation of duodenum leading to decrease
absorption of fat, protein, and iron.

can u please explain it

inotropism = contractility.
contractility = ability of cardiac muscle to develop force at given muscle length. (force of contraction)

normally increase in muscle length (due to increased stroke volume) leads to increased contractility. If the muscle length is the same then one of the few things that will increase contractility is an increase in intracellular Ca2+. What increases intracellular Ca2+?
increased heart rate and sympathetic stimulation.

How?

increased heart rate increases contractility because after many fast consecutive heart beats Ca2+ accumulates intracelluarly leading to increased contractility.

increased sympathetic stimulation increases inward Ca2+ curent via Beta receptors.

Increase in inotropism = increase in contractility.

Hi dreday,

Thanks for the explanations.i can see that u totally ignored the fish guy.
good for u and all of us here.

the most constant and valuable trait to defferentiate among maxillary first,second and third molar is the
1. height of cusps
2. number of roots.
3. depth of central fossae
4. comparative size of the cusp of carabelli
5. relative position of the distolingual groove

in ans key it's #5. is this right?can anyone explain it.

plzz explain this .. ny easy method 2 solve these type questions..
q] when the mandible moves from maximam intercuspation to right lateral relation ,which of the following cups of maxillary left teeth moves through the facial embrassure between the mandibular molars?
lingual cusp first premolar
facial cusp second premolar
lingual cusp second premolar

please answer this with explanation .
Q. when impulse is carried by chain of 2 or more neuron's , the total transmission time is greater than the sum of the transmission time for each neuron because of --
1. synaptic delay
2. inhibition
3. peripheral resistant
4. end plate delay

Tongue has least thresold sensation for,
a. Sweet
b. sour
c. bitter
d.salt

Tongue has least thresold sensation for,
a. Sweet
b. sour
c. bitter
d.salt

this question has been discussed before.
ans- BITTER.
reason-Most poisons are bitter so it is like a protective mechanism hence low treshold

Can anyone please explain the following processes- which part of kidney participates and what solutes/solvents are transported in each. Thanks

primary active transport
secondary active transport
facilitated diffusion
simple diffusion
solvent drag

Q . the subliminal fringe of a motor neuron pool is a useful concept in explaining the phenomenon of
1 . direct inhibition
2. reciprocal innervation
3 central facilition
4.monosynaptic conduction
with explanation please---

Q . the subliminal fringe of a motor neuron pool is a useful concept in explaining the phenomenon of
1 . direct inhibition
2. reciprocal innervation
3 central facilition
4.monosynaptic conduction
with explanation please---

I just read this Q's and could find nothing. The answer is central facilitation, but I don't know why either, I don't even know what that is specificallly. Can some1 help here it is a 1979 released exames Q.