2006 VCU CENTRAL-- Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PoetMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
I know most of you are VCU fanatics, so I was wondering what is pulling you so strongly towards VCU? Not that it isn't a great school- it was on the top of my list for a long time (int. back in Sept). But I was recently accepted to Marshall, as one of 10 out of staters and I can tell you that after visiting it a second time Marshall and Huntington are both really great. they had a superb match list the last 3 years, only 60 kids in a class, and tons of hands on as a 3rd and 4th yr.

Now, VCU is a lot cheaper but in downtown Richmond (i grew up there, not so nice). Also I'm still waitlisted there although Heldberg has hinted pretty strongly that I'll get in during May sometime.

Question is, if you were me what would you do? What does VCU have that a smaller school like Marshall doesn't that a med student just shouldn't pass up?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

PoetMD said:
Question is, if you were me what would you do? What does VCU have that a smaller school like Marshall doesn't that a med student just shouldn't pass up?

Thanks

It sounds like you've made your choice. Marshall seems to present a new challenge to you, in the form of living in a new place, and you seem really jazzed about the school and what it has to offer.

I'm from near Richmond, but have only spent about 24 hours there (for my interview), so it still looks pretty cool to me. I was really impressed by how soon students are given the chance to work with patients and how important primary care seems to be (the specialty I'm interested in). Also important to me is the opportunity to do rotations overseas. The facilities seem great and the students with whom I spoke were enjoying their time, felt challenged, and felt that they were getting a great education.

So, that's my two-cents' worth. Obviously, though, as a wait-listed fellow in-stater, my reply may be perceived as a little biased:), but I do wish you luck wherever you decide to go.

PoetMD said:
hey guys,
I know most of you are VCU fanatics, so I was wondering what is pulling you so strongly towards VCU? Not that it isn't a great school- it was on the top of my list for a long time (int. back in Sept). But I was recently accepted to Marshall, as one of 10 out of staters and I can tell you that after visiting it a second time Marshall and Huntington are both really great. they had a superb match list the last 3 years, only 60 kids in a class, and tons of hands on as a 3rd and 4th yr.

Now, VCU is a lot cheaper but in downtown Richmond (i grew up there, not so nice). Also I'm still waitlisted there although Heldberg has hinted pretty strongly that I'll get in during May sometime.

Thanks

where is Marshall??

Members don't see this ad :)
Marshall is in Huntington, Virginia.

Poet, it seems you really loved Marshall. Heck, with a nice small class like that I might like Marshall. If you don't have a family, the extra cost won't be bad. And area can be important to some people.

Poet, what does your gut tell you? Alternatively, take a piece of paper. Put Marshall on the left hand side, and VCU on the right. Now list all the great things about each school. On the back side of the paper, make two columns again and write down all the bad things about each school. That should help. Good luck with your decision!

its in Huntington, WV, on the border of ohio and kentucky.

yeh nolam2db, I have pretty much made my mind up, but was hoping for some VCU perspectives to make sure I wasn't passing up something I'd regret later. Marshall is really into primary care as well and you get to see patients through a weekly one on one mentorship program your first year. they also offer some cool international electvies like a trip to mt. kiliminjaro (to study altitude sickness), the amazon, and also wilderness electives.

But yeh, good luck with VCU. Their interview, students and faculty impressed the hell out of me and if it wasnt 15 mins from where i grew up or if the real estate near campus was more attractive it'd be a shoe in.

Go to Marshall. Good luck!

I would just like to chime in and say how great I think it is that there is now in fact a thread about another thread. Although, calling VCU Central a mere thread doesn't really capture its greatness.

And to the OP, I have no idea. Seems like most of the people from VCU Central are out of staters, and not from West Virginia either. So, no actual advice here, but I think you shoudl go with your heart; people always seem to be happier with their choice when they do that. And congrats on getting in! Getting in anywhere is an accomplishment, especially if they only take like 10 out of state people. :thumbup: