2006 VCU Central

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
must............................................................................................ stay......on......the...........1st.....................................page! ............ugh

Members don't see this ad :)
blee said:
How is that at all different from the process at any other school? Isn't it in a school's best interest to enroll the best students they can find? Similar things undoubtedly go on at every rolling-admission school in the country, and I wouldn't be surpsied if non-rolling schools still stack their better interviewees early.

It's very different. At traditional rolling schools, they interview you and if they like you, then they accept you. At VCU, they interview you and say, "Well, we like you now and you're good enough to go to school here, but if someone better comes along, then that changes things, and we'll take them over you."

Basically all I'm saying is that if a priority score of 1.8 (or whatever) is good enough to warrant an acceptance in October, then it should also warrant an acceptance in March.

Gee, thanks, Johnny. Go take your wet towel somewhere else. No party-poopers here.

I'M STILL HOPEFUL AND NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME. So boo on you.

Party at my house with warm sugar cookies for hopeful VCU applicants!

ShyRem said:
Gee, thanks, Johnny. Go take your wet towel somewhere else. No party-poopers here.

I'M STILL HOPEFUL AND NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME. So boo on you.

Wait, I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not trying to be a party-pooper and I'm definitely still hopeful (in fact, VCU is my top choice). I guess I'm just a little frustrated with the whole application process and all the waiting. I just needed to vent a little. I really enjoy this thread, and I'm sorry for bringing a negative tone to it. I really am. :(

ShyRem said:

Man, why can't Washington, DC be like 5 minutes from Colorado? I want a warm sugar cookie. :(

I'm glad you got your new carpet installed successfully. Are you attempting to spruce up your house for sale before moving? I find the problem with that is that it looks so nice when you're ready to leave, that you don't want to move after all.

JohnnyNU82 said:
Wait, I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not trying to be a party-pooper and I'm definitely still hopeful (in fact, VCU is my top choice). I guess I'm just a little frustrated with the whole application process and all the waiting. I just needed to vent a little. I really enjoy this thread, and I'm sorry for bringing a negative tone to it. I really am. :(
No Jonny, I'm with you. Screw this whole process. VCU needs to get a better system so pathetic ***** like me can know what is up w/ their future. I've been waiting since early Oct and it is now freakin March. :mad:

Feel better now :p , just bitter I had to start my 7 on tonight. 9:51pm and I still have 9 hours to go. Not to mention inverted was too freakin cool to play halo w/ his boy. :sleep: :( .

REM, I need some sugar. Utah and Col are close...I'm comming over to eat some cookies, and sleep on your new carpet (I drool BTW ;) ) Then we can use gd's idea of sending a flaming bag of dog poop to VCU.
jk people, (maybe). :smuggrin:

6 days....and JohnnyNU, i understand what you're saying. VCU needs to decide if they are going to be rolling or non-rolling. As of right now, they have it both ways and this is especially brutal on those who have interviewed. it seems that this type of acceptance system is very advantageous for VCU admissions office...since they only hand out exactly the number of acceptances required to fill the class, they wont be inundated by too many withdrawn acceptances on May 15 like all other rolling schools so accepting people off the waitlist is a much easier process ....so we end up getting tortured during the interview year and the vcu admissions office gets less work when it comes time to begin pulling students off the waitlist (which also means many of us are pulled of the waitlist faster than other rolling schools...)

Ok, JohnnyNU - all is forgiven. :)

We're all frustrated - VCU is also my first choice. This wait is just killer. I can't complain too much though - CU (Colorado) does almost the same thing. They interview through the season, and if they REALLY love you they offer you a spot pretty quick. Almost everyone has to wait until 3/15 though (although this year it's like 3/20 I think).

jbone - the new carpet is PLUSH. And we got the 8# pad with odor barrier, so it's waaaaaaayyyyy cushy underfoot. Nicer carpet then we would have normally put in the house to sell, but we got an absolutely killer deal on it (it was mismarked - AND on sale on top of it!). Basically we got the install and pad for free and still 10% off the carpet. And they hauled away the old carpet free too. Yeah, we got a MAJOR deal. :) But you don't have to sleep on the carpet - we have two queen sized sofa beds, and one is in front of the fireplace downstairs.

tacrum, we are getting the house ready to sell. Three years ago we redid the kitchen with new cabinets, new floor, new counters. We tiled the bathroom floor, pergo'd the hall and stairs going up, new carpet everywhere else. New paint inside, stripped popcorn ceiling, and we're going to do new siding in the spring (we can do vinyl siding ourselves for about $1800 including soffits and trim). We are the absolute royalty of fixer-uppers and deal shoppers here.

Tomorrow I think I'll make crepes for dinner with fresh fruit inside. Yummy. And perhaps some nice jam bites. (ask gd how they were - I sent her some for Christmas.)

ShyRem said:
And perhaps some nice jam bites. (ask gd how they were - I sent her some for Christmas.)
The jam bites were killer!

I am just waiting for a banana bread to finsh baking. My son has a bake sale for his classroom tomorrow. Pretty funny to see a bunch of 2 year olds peddling baked goods.

y'know, it is kindof a bummer to get the house all ready to sell 'cuz it really *does* look all nice and purty.

But on the other hand, we can view this house as our "practice" house. We've made all kinds of mistakes fixing this house up, and next house we'll do it better (and faster and cheaper 'cuz we won't have to fix our mistakes).

At this point there's almost nothing we can't fix. Well, ok. We're still not great on major plumbing issues. Minor plumbing we can do (replace sections of pipe, snake, toilets, wax seals, etc), but not keen on major plumbing. And we don't do gas line either. Pretty much anything else, though. And between my husband and I we sew, woodwork, make furniture, fix our cars when needed, knit, crochet, embroider, cook, hunt... pretty much we can do just about anything needed to survive. :D

wait - I don't mill flour. Bummer.

gdbaby said:
The jam bites were killer!

I am just waiting for a banana bread to finsh baking. My son has a bake sale for his classroom tomorrow. Pretty funny to see a bunch of 2 year olds peddling baked goods.
I wonder how much peddling they're going to do vs. eating. :)

"hey, mistah, want some bread? It's real good - see?" (takes a bite) :laugh:

"My mommy's bread is better than your mommy's. Let's try them both and see!"

Members don't see this ad :)
goinverted said:
must............................................................................................ stay......on......the...........1st.....................................page! ............ugh
fading...............................quick..........................................page.....................one... :sleep:

ShyRem said:
Ok, JohnnyNU - all is forgiven. :)

We're all frustrated - VCU is also my first choice. This wait is just killer. I can't complain too much though - CU (Colorado) does almost the same thing. They interview through the season, and if they REALLY love you they offer you a spot pretty quick. Almost everyone has to wait until 3/15 though (although this year it's like 3/20 I think).

jbone - the new carpet is PLUSH. And we got the 8# pad with odor barrier, so it's waaaaaaayyyyy cushy underfoot. Nicer carpet then we would have normally put in the house to sell, but we got an absolutely killer deal on it (it was mismarked - AND on sale on top of it!). Basically we got the install and pad for free and still 10% off the carpet. And they hauled away the old carpet free too. Yeah, we got a MAJOR deal. :) But you don't have to sleep on the carpet - we have two queen sized sofa beds, and one is in front of the fireplace downstairs.

tacrum, we are getting the house ready to sell. Three years ago we redid the kitchen with new cabinets, new floor, new counters. We tiled the bathroom floor, pergo'd the hall and stairs going up, new carpet everywhere else. New paint inside, stripped popcorn ceiling, and we're going to do new siding in the spring (we can do vinyl siding ourselves for about $1800 including soffits and trim). We are the absolute royalty of fixer-uppers and deal shoppers here.

Tomorrow I think I'll make crepes for dinner with fresh fruit inside. Yummy. And perhaps some nice jam bites. (ask gd how they were - I sent her some for Christmas.)

ShyRem (or should I say Bobette Villa), that's cool as hell, you handy chick you. I love construction too, and it's nice to be able to see the fruits of your labor. Ever watch that show on HGTV where that dude goes around fixing up homes? He flies around in his helicoptor and checks out properties. Pretty cool show (don't know the name).

cfdavid said:
ShyRem (or should I say Bobette Villa), that's cool as hell, you handy chick you. I love construction too, and it's nice to be able to see the fruits of your labor. Ever watch that show on HGTV where that dude goes around fixing up homes? He flies around in his helicoptor and checks out properties. Pretty cool show (don't know the name).

You mean Flip That House? They showcase him and his company most often, but they do follow a few other flippers (not the dolphin!). It's fun to watch what they get themselves into... rat infestation, mold, cracked foundation, etc.

Hey, I like the show where the guy goes around fixing other contractor's muck-ups. He's like this marine-looking dude with a buzzcut who knows his caca and rescues people when their contract does a bad job or no job at all... makes me happy I fix a lot of things myself. Oh, I think his name is Holmes or something... show's called "Holmes on Homes" or something like that-- try and catch an episode if you can.

Hey, are we back to Page 1??
:sleep:

jbone said:
Feel better now :p , just bitter I had to start my 7 on tonight. 9:51pm and I still have 9 hours to go. Not to mention inverted was too freakin cool to play halo w/ his boy. :sleep: :( :

No no no Bone, I was playing for most of the day (seeing that it's spring break and all) I just wasn't on for the 1/2 hour that you were. :eek:

Hey, ShyRem, Jbone and I are only a short five hour drive or so and for your amazing home baked goods we will be right over. It would be even sweeter if Jbone hadn't messed up his knee, then we could make a ski trip out of it as well.

Did I mention Jbone that I am on the ski patrol at Beaver Mountain. My parents have been on the patrol since I was born. It's all volunteer up there so it actually looks better than those guys down at Alta that get paid.

FDoRoML said:
You mean Flip That House? They showcase him and his company most often, but they do follow a few other flippers (not the dolphin!). It's fun to watch what they get themselves into... rat infestation, mold, cracked foundation, etc.

Hey, I like the show where the guy goes around fixing other contractor's muck-ups. He's like this marine-looking dude with a buzzcut who knows his caca and rescues people when their contract does a bad job or no job at all... makes me happy I fix a lot of things myself. Oh, I think his name is Holmes or something... show's called "Holmes on Homes" or something like that-- try and catch an episode if you can.

Hey, are we back to Page 1??
:sleep:

Yeah, that's the one. Flip That House. Cool show, but I think that the guy with the helicopter is most interesting. The rat infestation turned $ 6 million sale was very cool. The guy netted like 1.5 mil in less than 6 months on that transaction!

I LOVE those shows. I also like Yankee Workship and This Old House (especially the older ones).

I would absolutely LOVE to find a house like the rat infestation and fix it up. That's my kind of home - not a brand new one (ok, unless it's my dream log house). Alternatively, I'd like to build my own house with my husband and kids. That would be an absolute blast I think.

But on the subject of fixer-uppers, we are definitely looking for a fixer-upper house no matter where we end up. They are more in our price range and considering we're going to change any house we buy a bit anyways to suit our tastes, might as well get a deal on it. :)

ShyRem said:
That's my kind of home - not a brand new one (ok, unless it's my dream log house). Alternatively, I'd like to build my own house with my husband and kids. That would be an absolute blast I think.
I also like What You get for the Money.

BTW, Shy: how man y times did you enter to win the HGTV Dream Home. I submitted every day!

ShyRem said:
Missed that one - but I tend to tune out during commercial breaks. Bummer. :(
It was a GIANT log cabin in one of those Carolinas. I heard that the people who win tend to end up selling the house because they cannot afford the taxes on it.

ShyRem said:
Missed that one - but I tend to tune out during commercial breaks. Bummer. :(
It was a GIANT log cabin in one of those Carolinas. I heard that the people who win tend to end up selling the house because they cannot afford the taxes on it.

BTW: not to hijack the thread, but Shy--do you have any advice for a mom who cannot get her son to sleep in his toddler bed. It's bee 2 weeks and he is maybe getting 7 hours of sleep a night. I would go back to the crib, but he's been climbing out of it! We are all exhausted!

dear friends, i was hoping this thread would stay somewhat related to the topic of VCU as im sure many people, including myself, check it for updates on applying to VCU. maybe you can move the chit chat to another VCU thread, even though it might preclude your goal of turning this thread into 100 pages, most of which would be annoying drivel.

A few things:

1) lay down on the floor next to him until he falls asleep. May backfire - he may not sleep unless you're there.

2) sit out side his room, out of sight, and keep sending him back to bed. This gets old quickly.

3) put a baby gate on his door. Keeps him in his room, but not as cruel as locking the door.

My kids also had a hard time with this. They went from corralled (sp?) in a crib to freedom to get out. Every night for about 3 months we had to go pick them up off the floor and put them in bed. Eventually it worked out - after 3 weeks they stayed in their room, but still slept on the floor. The other thing we did is every week they gave us a hard time/wouldn't stay in their room moved their bedtime up 15-20 minutes. They quickly figured out their playtime was being taken away and calmed down. The first battle is getting them to stay in their room. They will eventually settle into a sleep pattern.

Be strong. This is one of those battles you *must* win or they'll learn you can be manipulated. Do *not* go back to the crib. (I remember sitting outside my daughter's room while she threw an absolute screaming hissy fit every night for 2 weeks until she realized I wasn't budging on this issue. It was hell for those two weeks, but I'm glad I didn't cave. She always has been a bit manipulative and stubborn. My son, on the other hand, was no problem at all - loved his bed from night 1, but we found him sleeping in his closet with the door closed a couple of times. :laugh: )

Thanks Shy!! This was JUST the advice I needed! I don't want to go back to the crib.

Okay, now back to all things VCU for jbing--even though jbing has only posted twice on this thread.

Sorry, jbing. We "dear friends" also seem to use this thread as a support/time killer/frustration outlet while we wait. If you have any questions about applying to VCU, please ask. I don't recall seeing anything from you recently with any questions or concerns (hmm.. seems you haven't posted anything here for months, actually).

I tend to use the term "friends" rather stingily. I am proud to have some folks here I absolutely call "dear friends". I'm also glad that we aren't all griping at each other for small petty typos, and that we support each other throughout this frustrating waiting game.

BUT, for those of us who *are* indeed dear friends, I will make another thread for us to wait. I think I'll call it "Dear Friends Waiting for VCU Discussions".

Does anyone have info on when VCU plans to send out award letters? I have been told April and June by different people within a span of two days.

ShyRem said:
I LOVE those shows. I also like Yankee Workship and This Old House (especially the older ones).

I would absolutely LOVE to find a house like the rat infestation and fix it up. That's my kind of home - not a brand new one (ok, unless it's my dream log house). Alternatively, I'd like to build my own house with my husband and kids. That would be an absolute blast I think.

But on the subject of fixer-uppers, we are definitely looking for a fixer-upper house no matter where we end up. They are more in our price range and considering we're going to change any house we buy a bit anyways to suit our tastes, might as well get a deal on it. :)

3 years ago I contracted a brand new custom home for my mom. It was a blast, and though I hired the subs, I also did a lot of work. I helped frame the home as well (with the crew). Great experience.

New thread?? "Med school during the day, Construction Guru's at night?" :laugh:

jbing said:
dear friends, i was hoping this thread would stay somewhat related to the topic of VCU as im sure many people, including myself, check it for updates on applying to VCU. maybe you can move the chit chat to another VCU thread, even though it might preclude your goal of turning this thread into 100 pages, most of which would be annoying drivel.

live with it.

gdbaby said:
do you have any advice for a mom who cannot get her son to sleep in his toddler bed.

It would seem that the easiest solution is to strap the little tyke down. That's how they do it with the State Hospital patients I work with. I am certified in the usage of restraints so if you need any advice just PM me.

cfdavid said:
3 years ago I contracted a brand new custom home for my mom. It was a blast, and though I hired the subs, I also did a lot of work. I helped frame the home as well (with the crew). Great experience.

New thread?? "Med school during the day, Construction Guru's at night?" :laugh:

That sounds like fun!! Maybe I'll hire you if I need a house built or an addition added (well, maybe when I pay off the med school loans I am about to take out!).

No, forget the new thread for us baking, HGTV-loving, Deliverance-quoting, parental-issue-having freaks. This is VCU central... where all things VCU happen, including bonding with new classmates. Maybe someone who cares only about VCU app business should start their own "VCU Bidness Only, No Idle Conversation" thread?? :smuggrin:

Besides, there IS no news about the VCU process. Unless you count the same friggin news that some of us have been hanging on since October. We're all waiting to hear, and we know nothing more than the website says--- March 22 will mean some news. Hopefully some GOOD news.

Hm, maybe it was frustration talking (the complaint about idle chatter). Hey, you, we are ALL frustrated here. We feel your pain.

cfdavid said:
live with it.
:laugh: :laugh:
Yea bing, handle it or go somewhere else. Honestly, we can talk about what ever the hell we want. For many of us who have been waiting since October (or sooner), this is our frustration relief. Like cf said, live with it, show some personality (annoying drivel...please :rolleyes: ) or leave.
In other words, don't be a a$$. Thank you. :D

Oh no, page 2! Not for long though. :)

Geez... I don't check the VCU thread all day and there's like a page and a half of new posts!

Hey, it's after midnight... 5

Em1 said:
Geez... I don't check the VCU thread all day and there's like a page and a half of new posts!

Hey, it's after midnight... 5

For real, you guys need to calm the shiet down. I'm remember anxiously waiting and am still very anxiously waiting. There's no reason to make this thread 50+ pages especially if most of the posts are dross.

Mixtli said:
For real, you guys need to calm the shiet down. I'm remember anxiously waiting and am still very anxiously waiting. There's no reason to make this thread 50+ pages especially if most of the posts are dross.

You have, apparently, an acceptance to VCU and a scholarship to boot. Therefore, shut up. You aren't allowed to complain.

tacrum43 said:
You have, apparently, an acceptance to VCU and a scholarship to boot. Therefore, shut up. You aren't allowed to complain.
:laugh: :laugh: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Amen.

Inverted, screw you and your damn Utah State. Screwed me over for the last time. :mad: :laugh:

Sorry whiners:
How many days left?? 5? Doesn't it seem like we're counting backwards! :(

FDoRoML said:
That sounds like fun!! Maybe I'll hire you if I need a house built or an addition added (well, maybe when I pay off the med school loans I am about to take out!).

No, forget the new thread for us baking, HGTV-loving, Deliverance-quoting, parental-issue-having freaks. This is VCU central... where all things VCU happen, including bonding with new classmates. Maybe someone who cares only about VCU app business should start their own "VCU Bidness Only, No Idle Conversation" thread?? :smuggrin:

Besides, there IS no news about the VCU process. Unless you count the same friggin news that some of us have been hanging on since October. We're all waiting to hear, and we know nothing more than the website says--- March 22 will mean some news. Hopefully some GOOD news.

Hm, maybe it was frustration talking (the complaint about idle chatter). Hey, you, we are ALL frustrated here. We feel your pain.

AMEN bro. Also, if that guy was really interested in VCU, he'd already know there isn't any news, and wouldn't be getting all bent out of shape.

jbone said:
:laugh: :laugh:
Yea bing, handle it or go somewhere else. Honestly, we can talk about what ever the hell we want. For many of us who have been waiting since October (or sooner), this is our frustration relief. Like cf said, live with it, show some personality (annoying drivel...please :rolleyes: ) or leave.
In other words, don't be a a$$. Thank you. :D

I don't want to go to med school with stiffs like jbing!

It cracks me up how some people confuse "being smart" with having no personality or sense of humor! lol

Mixtli said:

Hey, you don't want to mess with us. We've been bonding for months on end now, and we're like a pack of wild dogs. We'll hunt you down!!!!!!!! :laugh:

cfdavid said:
Hey, you don't want to mess with us. We've been bonding for months on end now, and we're like a pack of wild dogs. We'll hunt you down!!!!!!!! :laugh:
:laugh:

pack_of_wild_dogs.jpg

(hope this pisses you off :smuggrin: Don't mess w/ shyrem )

BTW, nice butt cf...you shouldn't moon the camera next time. Nothing to be proud of. :eek: :scared: :smuggrin: :barf:

dingo1.jpg

Us dingoes are a pretty mean lot, too. Don't forget that a bunch of criminals established the land "Down Undah." Not unlike Sicily... and you know what they did to Chicago (and Vegas!).... muhahahaha!

:smuggrin:

I got an award letter in late February, and I believe someone else posted on this thread, or maybe another, that they also got one at the same time.

blee said:
Does anyone have info on when VCU plans to send out award letters? I have been told April and June by different people within a span of two days.

Mixtli said:

Hater.

jbing said:

?

I get busy for a few days and return to find a bunch of punks on this thread! Seriously, people. Loosen up. This process is about more than just numbers and interviews and letters. If it pisses you off that it takes you 5 minutes rather than 5 seconds to catch up on the posts, then maybe you should find a profession that requires less contact with other human beings...or specialize in pathology (no offence to any budding pathologists on this thread).

Some of us have spent the last 7 months on this thread waiting for news from VCU. We started this thread, we developed this thread, and we're going to use this thread to help eachother get through the stressful hell that will be the next 5 days and then the crawl of waitlist movement. So there.

Status
Not open for further replies.