2007-2008 Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlw03

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
well, i got my first one today, so i thought i'd share and get this thread going. let's try and keep a somewhat up to date list (i know it didn't happen for the applicants thread, but maybe it'll be easier here). when you add something new, if you copy and paste the previous list then that'll give an up to date list. i'll call and schedule the exact date on monday and i'll update when i do, but for now:

University of New Mexico
mlw03 - TBD

Members don't see this ad.

congratulations. that is awsome, and wow they ere fast.
would you by any chance know what their selection criteria is?
Thanks and good luck with your interview.

Woo, nice! :wow:
I was wondering when the first would happen. Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually got my first one yesterday by email. Congrats though.

can i know what r ur criteria guys and usually from lets say 20 programs usually how many interview usuallyone gets????

Just got the same email... hopefully i will see u at the unm interview. One wk WOW that was fast. I dont even think half my class has submitted yet. Lets keep up the list as they come in......

YAY! Congrats mlw and everyone else on the invite. :luck:

Congratulations mlw03...I'm not surprised you got one of the first invites!

Hopefully some programs will contact the rest of us who are anxiously waiting soon...

Quick question for those who have invites, are your applications already complete...with all 3 LORs, etc?

Good luck everyone! :)

i interviewed at unm last year and walked away impressed. they comp the taxi ride to the hotel as well as overnight accomodations. the hotel is sweet, across the street from tri-core labs, and there was a little welcome gift bag waiting in the room.

the day i interviewed, there were 3 other interviewees. overall, there were 4 interviews followed by tours of the university hospital, tri-core, and the VA, with lunch interjected somewhere. you get tons of resident exposure. i met a lot of interesting people. from an applicant perspective, they all seemed honest, and ultimately happy. at the end, there was an informal happy hour setting at the hotel lounge. i was not able to attend secondary to flight arrangements, but it sounded as though there would be a mix of residents and attendings.

the interviewers that day were drs. hjelle (then interim-chair), foucar, zumwalt and bocklage (pd). clearly, unm takes residency recruitment very seriously. and though the names made me nervous, i walked away with the impression that they were all outstanding people and passionate teachers. no stress...just four conversations. had i matched there, i would have considered myself quite fortunate.

Hey mlw, congrats! Thanks for starting the thread. Hopefully, I'll have something to add soon. Congrats to everyone else who has already received an invite :thumbup::luck:

can i know what r ur criteria guys and usually from lets say 20 programs usually how many interview usuallyone gets????

Not sure I understand. But that is the most number of times I have seen the word usually used in a sentence. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Was yours UNM also Critic?

Sounds like that interview set-up is nice. Makes me want to apply just to get the VIP treatment for once!

Congrats for the first interview!! It was fast!! Make me wonder when is my first one?:confused:

Was yours UNM also Critic?

Sounds like that interview set-up is nice. Makes me want to apply just to get the VIP treatment for once!

Nope, a Texas program. I'll lump specifics together in a post when I have more scheduled. Don't know what date I'll interview yet.

called and set my date today for unm. very friendly program coordinator.

University of New Mexico
mlw03 - 12/7

I got my first invite from BID!!!

I'm so happy! :D

Congrats!!! what is the whole name of BID by the way?:thumbup:

Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston. And thanks for the congrats!

I just got another invite.

Jefferson via email.

hi tiki!

congratulations on your invites! :)

good idea! i hate constantly checking my email...the anxiety is killing me...it's been quiet on my side though, but it's okay...still waiting for lors to get uploaded!

i'm glad i'm doin a rotation in path though...keeps me away from the computer! lol! :)

Got my first invite today from Jefferson. Anxiety has decreased a little.

Just curious, the people getting interview invites, are all your LORs in? Thus far I only have one, but it's my biggest one...

Oh man! The flood gates are opening, it seems like. :laugh:

No love for me from Jefferson yet. In anticipation of somebody asking: I have 1 LOR in (Path) USMLE scores, no transcript.

Sean

Except for my photo and dean's letter, my application is complete. So that might be why I'm starting to get some invites.

I just had to put out 200$ for a night at a hotel in Boston. That is slightly painful.

Yeah, every program is different from what I've heard, in terms of when they decide to offer an invite. I'm hoping I can cluster my Boston interviews together to minimize my travel costs...

BH

yeah I agree, I am hoping to do a circuit tour of the Boston programs (BU, BID...and with less optimism, MGH). Tiki and BH, did you guys apply to Tufts?

i got the BID interview offer as well. pathsoccerdude, i like your thinking - has anyone heard anything from MGH (who hasn't even downloaded my app yet) or BWH? i want to cluster also to save $$.

my app is complete except for 1 pathology LoR and my MSPE.

BID downloaded my app but no invite yet... maybe i'm in their next batch, or they're waiting for more letters.

I didn't apply to Tufts... I was trying to hold down my total number of interviews as it was... Also, MGH hasn't downloaded my stuff either, mlw... maybe someone unplugged their PDWS? :)

BH

Oh man! The flood gates are opening, it seems like. :laugh:

No love for me from Jefferson yet. In anticipation of somebody asking: I have 1 LOR in (Path) USMLE scores, no transcript.

Sean

They are probably waiting on your transcripts. I have everything in except the Dean's letter and my final LOR.

i got the BID interview offer as well. pathsoccerdude, i like your thinking - has anyone heard anything from MGH (who hasn't even downloaded my app yet) or BWH? i want to cluster also to save $$.

MGH hasn't downloaded my app yet either. Neither has Duke, Brown and Pennsylvania Hospital.

And I didn't apply to Tufts either.

Thanks for the word back guys on Tufts...I haven't applied yet but was NOT planning on applying there, but was open for anything good anyone had to say about the program...I have NOT submitted my ERAS yet but since my slacking days are finally over, it should be submitted this weekend.

And mlw03 yeah Boston is a good city to do all at once, I am from there so it makes sense to hopefully get it done all the same week (end) lol. Maybe I will run into you on th einterview trail if I ever finally submit this stuff!

They are probably waiting on your transcripts.

Haha. Either that or they are waiting on a reason not to throw my application in the trash. :laugh: I am not the superstar like some peeps on here. ;)

BIDMC has by far the most organized program coordinator I met on my trails. She knew everything that she needed to know, is very familiar with the program, all the residents, and everything about it. That's part of the reason they do interviews so early, she gets on top of things and gets it moving. They also interview a lot of candidates (I think 70+).

Just wanted to let everyone know to learn to appreciate good people when you find them. There were a couple of very subpar program coordinators, like one who neglected to tell me she would not be in the day I interviewed but told me to call her when I arrived. So I kept calling until it was time for my first interview, at which point I tried to find the office of the first person I was supposed to interview with in an old and confusing hospital. I eventually found it, was 10 minutes late.

The program coordinator at UVM was also outstanding.

My school doesn't scan our transcripts until mid-October because, according to them, programs want "as much of our fourth year grades as they can get." They'll scan it early if we request it, but scan it only once... My grades are fine, wondering if I should just go ahead and request it - pretty sure most programs aren't going to give me an invite until they get that.

Thoughts?

BH

My school doesn't scan our transcripts until mid-October because, according to them, programs want "as much of our fourth year grades as they can get." They'll scan it early if we request it, but scan it only once... My grades are fine, wondering if I should just go ahead and request it - pretty sure most programs aren't going to give me an invite until they get that.

Thoughts?

BH

I don't think it will hurt you any . . . Our school gets about 1-2 rotations of 4th year on the transcript and all I really care about is my first, which was Path. So anyhow, I don't think you will be in poor company if you only have a little bit on there.

Now, if only my school would get their crap together and hand over my transcript from one office to the other office to be scanned. When I needed proof of student-ness to be mailed to my health insurance it took them 21 days to send it. I hope that's not the case with the transcript.

Thoughts?

BH

i do think that there are programs who aren't going to look at applications until they're complete (minus the MSPE) - 3 LoRs, PS, CAF, USMLE scores, and school transcript. how many programs are like this verus how many will review a partially incomplete app, i doubt anyone knows. that said, i would not feel comfortable waiting until mid-Oct to have a complete application. if it were me, i'd ask for it now unless you're doing a path rotation this month and expect the grade to be turned in soon after the end of the month. and even then i'd consider asking for it now if i already had 1 path rotation completed. programs know that MS4 grades don't matter too much, and that most path electives are going to yield "A" grades.

There is no real advantage to getting it in early (i.e. now) except for making you feel better. That is why schools recommend you waiting until mid october. You are very unlikely to have any actual interviews before then, and most places won't start conducting interviews until at least mid october if not november.

There is no real advantage to getting it in early (i.e. now) except for making you feel better. That is why schools recommend you waiting until mid october. You are very unlikely to have any actual interviews before then, and most places won't start conducting interviews until at least mid october if not november.

what about the argument that a given program only has X interview slots, and that by waiting one risks them giving many of them out before your application is even reviewed because it's incomplete? most programs seem to offer 8-10 interviews per spot, so a place like OSU that has 4 spots a year is only doing about 40 interviews. if they start sending those interviews out in mid or late sept and they've given our 25 before your application is complete, doesn't that put you at risk of getting left out? won't programs have to get more choosy later in the application cycle as interview slots become more "precious" as there are fewer available?

just my thoughts... perhaps i'm totally off base?

MGH haven't downloaded my app neither But BWH did a week ago. No response.

what about the argument that a given program only has X interview slots, and that by waiting one risks them giving many of them out before your application is even reviewed because it's incomplete? most programs seem to offer 8-10 interviews per spot, so a place like OSU that has 4 spots a year is only doing about 40 interviews. if they start sending those interviews out in mid or late sept and they've given our 25 before your application is complete, doesn't that put you at risk of getting left out? won't programs have to get more choosy later in the application cycle as interview slots become more "precious" as there are fewer available?

just my thoughts... perhaps i'm totally off base?

I think that's a little extreme - if you were to submit your application close to the deadline you might run into that problem, but chances are if your application is already in as well as your USMLEs, whether your transcript is in or not is unlikely to make a huge difference. If programs wait for it, they wait for it for everybody (and the majority of people, despite what it seems like on these forums, submit their transcripts in october). If they don't wait for it, it doesn't matter when you submit it.

Everyone's got to take some of this new medication that came out recently...

Chillaxin 50 mg QD.

I always thought it was funny that Seroquel's generic name looks so much like "Quiet-a-peen" ...

I am now officially chill, as I got my first interview invite... I think it's just getting that first invite, once you get it, at least for me, I feel relaxed.

I have to get back to the clinic now... outpatient derm has been suprisingly enjoyable. Almost made me consider the derm->dermpath route...

BH

Clinical derm loses its luster after a couple of weeks. At least it did for me. Gee. Another rash that could be eczema. Gee, another scaly patch. Can I freeze this one?!?!? Can't imagine having to do that for 3 years. Plus, I have discovered during my path residency that spending significant time with 75% of derm residents makes me want to break things (the other 25% are great). Derm residents use the word "peeps" more than any other field.