2007-2008 Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I totally forgot to do my VCOM secondary and my UNECOM secondary. Is it worth it for me to do them this late?

GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: 3.33
MCAT: 28M
Research for 1 year + lots of shadowing.
No way, definitely not too late. Schools interview until February, and the turnaround on some schools is like a week or two!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all...I've run into a problem that I'm certain many of us have experienced.

I'm filling out secondaries now...PNWU specifically...and finding it to be in Adobe format.

Being a non-trad...and not a computer person (the internet didn't really even exist yet when I went to college...I'm old) I'm having the dilemma of not being able to type my answers onto/into the apps.

Any tips on how to type into/onto and/or fill out an Adobe based secondary without using my trusty old typewriter?

If you just have the reader, it won't work. I think you need to purchase Adobe Acrobat? so you can use the typewriter function. I think on SDN someone had a free program that did the same thing though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of the secondaries have the fields already built in where you can type (but not save, you need Acrobat for that) in Adobe Reader, but some don't. It just depends on the school.

You might have to just print it out and write by hand, if you don't want to buy Acrobat...

Go to www.adobe.com and get the latest free reader, which is version 8 or so.

With the PDF open, look at the top right of the screen. It might show "highlight fields" so you can see where you're supposed to type.

Either way, just click on one of the blank lines where you're supposed to put answers, and just type. You can't save what you type, so any essays should be written in another app like Word and saved there. Make sure to print 2 copies so you have one to look at before you interview.

Best of luck to you.

I purchased a bulk cd with Adobe Acrobat 8.0 Standard. I think the new CD of Adobe 8.0 Standard on eBay ran me $79 and included the key. If you're in a rush, do what I did in the interim, download the Adobe 8.0 Professional trial version from the Adobe website and get cracking with FULL features. You'll have 30 days and then the software will be inactive, at which point you should uninstall unless you purchase an Adobe 8 Pro CD key for a couple hundred bucks. Hope that helps.

Hey all...I've run into a problem that I'm certain many of us have experienced.

I'm filling out secondaries now...PNWU specifically...and finding it to be in Adobe format.

Being a non-trad...and not a computer person (the internet didn't really even exist yet when I went to college...I'm old) I'm having the dilemma of not being able to type my answers onto/into the apps.

Any tips on how to type into/onto and/or fill out an Adobe based secondary without using my trusty old typewriter?

I specifically called PNWU about this because even the full Adobe version wasn't working for me and a nice woman from the admissions staff told me it was fine to fill out the secondary by hand. It was much easier (and faster) than fudging around with Adobe. :rolleyes:

Good Luck :luck:

I purchased a bulk cd with Adobe Acrobat 8.0 Standard. I think the new CD of Adobe 8.0 Standard on eBay ran me $79 and included the key. If you're in a rush, do what I did in the interim, download the Adobe 8.0 Professional trial version from the Adobe website and get cracking with FULL features. You'll have 30 days and then the software will be inactive, at which point you should uninstall unless you purchase an Adobe 8 Pro CD key for a couple hundred bucks. Hope that helps.

...what I should've said.

I had the same problem with PNWU, just had to fill it out by hand, attached sheets for the essays/activities list.

Hello, Dr.

I am in my process of submitting the primary application, but now about to start writing my secondary application essays. Even tough I would not have obtained them officially in a few weeks, I think it is a good time to start writting, and speed up the process.

I have found a few prompts on this website, but I really have no clue how to write it.
1)Explain the process by which you decided that osteopathic medicine was right for you?

2)How does the osteopathic profession fit into your professional goals and values?

3)What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician?

4)Which experiences and people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician?

5)Why you wish to become an osteopathic physician. Indicate specific reasons why you want to attend Georgia Campus

6)Why you wish to attend Philadelphia college of Osteopathic Medicine and why you want to become an osteopathic physician.

7)Describe a personal experience or ethical challenge you have faced that has influenced the development of your character. How has this experience helped you to develop specific skills and/or abilities that are essential to practicing osteopathic medicine?

8)Describe your motivation for training as an osteopathic physician. Comment specifically on your academic performance and potential for study in Osteopathic Medicine.

I just wonder what kind of approaches should I start? I have never met an DO before since in Canada there are not many DOs. I have done some research on it. But it is mostly about the history, the manipulative techniques and the holistic approach (similar to chiropractic).

Knowing the above, how should I start to write about the prompts?

Thank you very much

Hello, Dr.

I am in my process of submitting the primary application, but now about to start writing my secondary application essays. Even tough I would not have obtained them officially in a few weeks, I think it is a good time to start writting, and speed up the process.

I have found a few prompts on this website, but I really have no clue how to write it.
1)Explain the process by which you decided that osteopathic medicine was right for you?

2)How does the osteopathic profession fit into your professional goals and values?

3)What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician?

4)Which experiences and people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician?

5)Why you wish to become an osteopathic physician. Indicate specific reasons why you want to attend Georgia Campus

6)Why you wish to attend Philadelphia college of Osteopathic Medicine and why you want to become an osteopathic physician.

7)Describe a personal experience or ethical challenge you have faced that has influenced the development of your character. How has this experience helped you to develop specific skills and/or abilities that are essential to practicing osteopathic medicine?

8)Describe your motivation for training as an osteopathic physician. Comment specifically on your academic performance and potential for study in Osteopathic Medicine.

I just wonder what kind of approaches should I start? I have never met an OD before since in Canada there are not many ODs. I have done some research on it. But it is mostly about the history, the manipulative techniques and the holistic approach (similar to chiropractic).

Knowing the above, how should I start to write about the prompts?

Thank you very much

I don't think anyone can answer your port regarding OD's (Doctor of Optometry) in the pre-DO thread :laugh:

Sounds like you need to educate yourself. :rolleyes:

Let me help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteopathic_medicine

http://www.osteopathic.org/index.cfm?PageID=findado_main

Try again when you are better informed. ;)

Hello, everyone, I wonder if you could provide me some answers concerning the questions below.

1) I just submitted my primary application a few days ago, even though I would not get any secondary applications in a few weeks, can I start to ask my professors sending out recommendation letters?
2) Is there a link for the current secondary application essays from differrent DO schools?
3)I know they usually ask you why do you want to be an osteopathic doctor and what quality do you posses to make you a successful DO.
So in the response, is it we need to explain the principle behind the DO and the difference between MD and why you believe it is a better alternative than MD? Are there any more things that I need to mention in the essay? As for the quality I possess, is it similar to the MD, such as being passionate, sincere, etc? Are there any specific quality they are looking for?

Thank you very very much.

Hello, everyone, I wonder if you could provide me some answers concerning the questions below.

1) I just submitted my primary application a few days ago, even though I would not get any secondary applications in a few weeks, can I start to ask my professors sending out recommendation letters?
2) Is there a link for the current secondary application essays from differrent DO schools?
3)I know they usually ask you why do you want to be an osteopathic doctor and what quality do you posses to make you a successful DO.
So in the response, is it we need to explain the principle behind the DO and the difference between MD and why you believe it is a better alternative than MD? Are there any more things that I need to mention in the essay? As for the quality I possess, is it similar to the MD, such as being passionate, sincere, etc? Are there any specific quality they are looking for?

Thank you very very much.

1) Have you already approached these professors and asked them to write you a letter and are just waiting to tell them where to send them? Or have you not asked them yet? Does you school have any sort of letter sending/holding service? If not you could look into using Interfolio. My undergrad's pre-med office had a service where I just had the professor send the letter to them and they sent them out to the schools I told them to. Similar with interfolio, so that way you just "collect" them there and then send them out when you need them. It can be very annoying having to wait on a professor who gets busy and forgets to send out a letter for a few weeks.

2)I know they've been posted on here in the past, so a little searching and you should be able to find them.

3)Definitely don't try and write about how it may be a better alternative than MD. Chances are at some point you might have an MD review your file or interview you. The real point is that they want to see that you've done some research and know what osteopathy is and the "philosophy". The DO I shadowed said it's kinda stupid but they just want to see that you've done some reading on the profession on your own and saw the emphasis on treating the person as a whole..."holistic" care, the obvious training on manipulative treatments, focus on healthy living in general, etc....

Have you shadowed or know a local DO there? If so you could always run your essays by them and see what they think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, thank you very much for your prompt reply. The idea of interfolio seems to be a really nice and efficient way. However, when I check the medical school listed there, only 3-4 are DO schools. But now I am applying to 15 of them, and even some Carribean MD schools. Could it be used to send to those schools as well?

As for the essay, how many words do you think is appropriate and since I have discussed a lot about my personality in personal statement, how do you recommend me to proceed in the secondary application and the distribution of the content on the DO principle and the remaining infomation.

Thank you very much!!

1) Have you already approached these professors and asked them to write you a letter and are just waiting to tell them where to send them? Or have you not asked them yet? Does you school have any sort of letter sending/holding service? If not you could look into using Interfolio. My undergrad's pre-med office had a service where I just had the professor send the letter to them and they sent them out to the schools I told them to. Similar with interfolio, so that way you just "collect" them there and then send them out when you need them. It can be very annoying having to wait on a professor who gets busy and forgets to send out a letter for a few weeks.

2)I know they've been posted on here in the past, so a little searching and you should be able to find them.

3)Definitely don't try and write about how it may be a better alternative than MD. Chances are at some point you might have an MD review your file or interview you. The real point is that they want to see that you've done some research and know what osteopathy is and the "philosophy". The DO I shadowed said it's kinda stupid but they just want to see that you've done some reading on the profession on your own and saw the emphasis on treating the person as a whole..."holistic" care, the obvious training on manipulative treatments, focus on healthy living in general, etc....

Have you shadowed or know a local DO there? If so you could always run your essays by them and see what they think.

Hi, thank you very much for your prompt reply. The idea of interfolio seems to be a really nice and efficient way. However, when I check the medical school listed there, only 3-4 are DO schools. But now I am applying to 15 of them, and even some Carribean MD schools. Could it be used to send to those schools as well?

As for the essay, how many words do you think is appropriate and since I have discussed a lot about my personality in personal statement, how do you recommend me to proceed in the secondary application and the distribution of the content on the DO principle and the remaining infomation.

Thank you very much!!

Those are the schools that have electronic transfer available (they accept your LOR's electronically). You can use Interfolio for any school in the US, MD or DO, to send LOR's via snail mail or DHL delivery. I'm not sure about Carrib schools, though.

As for the essays, most schools specify a character limit and I would strongly advise that you not go over it. The content is up to you, my friend . . . just answer the secondary essay prompt and you'll be fine.

Good Luck :luck:

MSU-COM is the one exception to interfolio.

As far as my secondary essays went, I thought I could write one or two essays and tweek them to make them work for each school. Turns out I had to rewrite a new one for almost all of my applications because they were all worded differently and asked a slightly different question, but mostly having to do with qualities and motivation. I think it will definitely help to start thinking about your qualities and motivating factors that will make you a great DO, but don't be surprised if you have to write more. I found it very hard to write about myself!!! Most of my essays had a 2000 word limit.

Hi, I have talked about how my interest to become a doctor extensively in the primary personal statement. As for the 2' essay where they ask you why do you want to be an osteopathic doctor, is it I need to explain my understanding of the philosophy behind it. What else I need to talk about? Should I talk about something such as how research experience have nurtured my character that I have not mentioned in the 1' essay? What else could be incorporated? I wrote almost 800 words for the 1' essay, how much is a good number for the 2' essay?

Are there any advice on this?

Thank you very much!

Hi, I have talked about how my interest to become a doctor extensively in the primary personal statement. As for the 2' essay where they ask you why do you want to be an osteopathic doctor, is it I need to explain my understanding of the philosophy behind it. What else I need to talk about? Should I talk about something such as how research experience have nurtured my character that I have not mentioned in the 1' essay? What else could be incorporated? I wrote almost 800 words for the 1' essay, how much is a good number for the 2' essay?

Are there any advice on this?

Thank you very much!

I merely summerized a tad about why I wanted to be a doctor (as I wrote in my 1') and focused more on the osteopathic philosophy in my 2's. Briefly explain why you want to be a doctor, but also why specifically a DO.

Is there a place to find all the secondaries essays? My application is in the processing stage and wanted to get started. Already did it for UMDNJ since its available online.

Can anyone provide the link? I saw there is a comprehensive list from 2006 cycle.

My schools:
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
Des Moines University - Osteopathic Medical Center
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of New York Institute of Technology
Oklahoma State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Main Campus
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey School of Osteopathic Medicine
A. T. Still University-Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine

If you go to the top of the Pre-DO forum there should be a sticky that has a link the secondaries thread.

this is probably stupid question, but i am a little confused about secondaries. my personal statement talks about why i want to beome a doctor, etc... however, the secondary also asks why you want to become an osteopathic physician. do i have to write a whole new essay on this? or is it just supposed be more focused on why osteopathic not why you want to become a doctor. do they read the first one? thanks.

I assume they read the first one. I did not talk about osteopathic medicine in my primaries, but focused on it in my secondaries.

Hello. I am a traditional applicant and applied to 9 DO schools (CCOM, PCOM, UMDNJSOM, UNECOM, NOVA, LECOM-B, NYCOM, TOUROCOM-NY, DM). I submitted most of my secondaries late October-mid November. I was wondering if anyone knew the approximate turn around times for these schools. Also, aside from NYCOM-do all the schools let you know whether or not you receive an interview or do they only notify you when invited.
Thanks!

I just submitted my secondaries about two weeks ago. How long it usually take to hear back from medical schools?

My profile is in MDapps, what do you guys think of my stats? Any advices or comments, good or bad, on my profile would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.!

I'd give it some time, two weeks is not very long so don't start worrying yet! :)

If your primary was processed today on Dec 2, when will you hear from the school you applied? Since the application is sent electronically, does that mean the school on Monday will be able to see it right away? Will Nova send the link for secondary application right away?I have sent in all my LOR last week, and it should have arrived in all schools. So does that mean if I submit the secondary tomorrow or the next day, the school can start review it in this week?

depends on the school, some schools send snail mail, some schools send email. LMU was the quickest for me, didn't even fill that one out though

plus, thanksgiving and christmas holidays, plus students taking finals and admissions committees going on vacation means a general slowdown until after the new year. hang in there

Many here are waiting, I am one. I've been finished since June so get back in line and shut up.

Seriously the wait sucks it's just a right of passage, get a beer or do whatever you can to not think about it

Many here are waiting, I am one. I've been finished since June so get back in line and shut up.

Seriously the wait sucks it's just a right of passage, get a beer or do whatever you can to not think about it

and then get another beer...

Thanks for the feedbacks.

I've got some beer if you want

:beer:

damn.. that isn't an emoticon T_T oh well

I'll drink beers like my daily supplements. 'Prost' (German for 'Cheers') !!!

I just got my first interview notice today to Touro University - Ca. I am ecstatic!! Now, I just have to do well on the interview.

if i get a secondary from a school does that mean i passed their cutoff (if they had one)?

With the exception of Touro-NV, yes.

if i get a secondary from a school does that mean i passed their cutoff (if they had one)?

In my experience, no. Schools can still reject you post secondary, pre-interview with no explanation. :confused: Sometimes within days of cashing your check.
I hope you don't have the same experience. Good luck.:luck:

Okay maybe I misunderstood the question. Generally if you receive the secondary you have at least met their minimum requirements. This does not mean you will be granted an interview.

Definitely depends on the school. Some schools only send out secondaries if they will invite you for an interview, but this is generally the exception.

One person has posted on here that they were rejected post-interview because of their MCAT, so it doesn't always mean that you've gotten past the cut-off unfortunately.

ok, i think 3 rejected me and didn't send a secondary. i'm just hoping that i passed the others. its that 2.81 :( i think my mcat is fine at 28.

So if he can has secondary, are all bases are belong to him?

Anyone have trouble filling out the secondary that is online at their website. I can't seem to be able to fill in the blanks. Any advice??