2007 NC Med Schools Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mustangsally65

Sally 2.0
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Looks like it's going to be another year of applying for me.

I've had a lot of interest about starting the 2007 thread, so here it is.

Looking forward to working with everyone! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Best of Luck to all those applying to NC schools this year! :thumbup:

Yay for NC med schools! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck Sally! Go kick some ass!

The rest of you, eh...

Just kidding. Good luck to everybody!

Here goes nothin'...or somethin'... :luck: good luck everyone (especially me)

Yay for NC! I really want to move down there. :thumbup:

I've put in my app to Duke & Wake Forest (i go to duke undergrad). Was REALLY thinking about UNC, but I'm an OOS applicant and it seemed like it would be a waste of my time and money. I consider myself a pretty good applicant, but UNC only takes 20 OOS in a class of 160...not happening.

Duke is a longshot too (lemme know what you guys think...check the mdapplicant prof) except for the fact that I've *heard* they look favorable on their undergrads (which i actually doubt cause theres a lot that apply here) AND that i have a LOR from an MD in the duke hospital (a pediatrician who was my prof for a documentary class).

Wake seems to be a good match. I'm above their avg mcat by a few points, and consider myself a good applicant for that school. Plus, our pre-med advisor really champions their program (over UNC in some ways, actually) and it seems like a nice place to be.

hey all-- NC resident and 2007 applicant here... i was verified in june and got the ecu secondary june 27 or so.

good luck to everybody! :luck:

Hey all, OOS, but a UNC student, so i'm hitting up all the NC schools but ECU. Hoping for a courtesy interview from UNC . . .

CTtarheel said:
Hey all, OOS, but a UNC student, so i'm hitting up all the NC schools but ECU. Hoping for a courtesy interview from UNC . . .

Let me warn you guys that this process is almost a total crapshoot. I know it's a cliche and everyone says it, but this is my third year applying to med schools so I've been around the block a few times. ;)

Some people get interviews early from Carolina. Some have great stats and get a pre-sec rejection. Some have really low stats (me!) and get an interview. Out-of-staters also seem to be chosen somewhat randomly (no offense to anyone, but from the posts I've seen in the past you can't ever anticipate who's going to be interviewed or not).

Just remember that a rejection or two doesn't mean you're a failure. It's soooooo hard to get that first rejection, and it never really gets any better, but try not to take it personally. And realize that not all schools are numbers-based only. There's more to each and every one of us than just an MCAT score (or three!) and a GPA. All we have to do is let it come out in our PSs, secondary essays, and interviews.

Lots of :luck: to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey all, just wanted to join in the fun. i'm applying to duke and UNC this year, so i expect to see you all at interviews!!!

-jojo

BigKurz said:
Wake seems to be a good match. I'm above their avg mcat by a few points, and consider myself a good applicant for that school. Plus, our pre-med advisor really champions their program (over UNC in some ways, actually) and it seems like a nice place to be.

Woo! I love to see the Wake Forest praise ;)

**Let me be the first to say this to those of you really interested in Wake: they invite some to interview right off the back, then they rank the rest of you, and sit back waiting for you to call and check your status. MANY were invited to interview during a status check call, especially if you're on the High Interview List or whatever they call it there. So, be sure to call the office a few weeks after submitting your secondary!! This is how I got my interview, and future acceptance!!**

Looks like I am probably going to spend another year in the app process, so I will go ahead and join the new thread. Good luck everyone! Sally, thanks for keeping the thread going with the new and undoubtedly improved version.

hell yeah!! UNC, DUKE, WAKE, and good ol' ECU :luck: :luck:

BUMP! Where are all the NC people this year? Last year's thread is hoppin'

i'll have to keep my fingers super crossed in hopes that i'll have some luck with ecu, unc, wake, or by a longshot DUKE. here we goooooooo

BigKurz said:
Duke is a longshot too (lemme know what you guys think...check the mdapplicant prof) except for the fact that I've *heard* they look favorable on their undergrads (which i actually doubt cause theres a lot that apply here)

I've heard that Duke interviews up to 1/3 of their own applicants. alot of dukies don't apply to it for med school. maybe they want to get out of Durham?

i heard that duke med gives all applicants who went to undergrad there an interview as a courtesy

Has anyone received a UNC secondary yet?

Hey kids,
I added Wake Forest a couple of days ago- so until they reject me pre-secondary I can officially chill out on this thread!

Ahhh it's nice in here! :thumbup:

lala83 said:
i heard that duke med gives all applicants who went to undergrad there an interview as a courtesy

I hope so. that would be amazing.

UNC, Wake , ECU. Duke...you're too smart for me :D

On the UNC secondary, you have an option of elaborating on three qualities related to medicine. This means the activity must of also had to relate to medicine, correct?

And is it looked upon negatively if you choose to list five qualities rather than writing the essay?

monwilli said:
And is it looked upon negatively if you choose to list five qualities rather than writing the essay?

I did the list. The essay was already answered in a couple of my activities listed on the primary application.

I wouldn't think it would be looked down upon to do the list instead of the essay. Otherwise they wouldn't offer you the choice.

That being said, when I got a secondary from UNC in 2004, I did the essay. :oops: I had the same thoughts and figured it would be better to write the essay for fear of appearing "lazy." :laugh: I also didn't really have a clear list of things to write down, and I was an English major so it's easier for me to write longer things than shorter things.

Whether it helped or not I really don't know: I was interviewed in 2005 but rejected in April of 2005, and then last year I didn't get a secondary from UNC.

Congrats to those of you who have gotten a secondary/invite from UNC! It's definitely very early in the game.

And try not to be too hurt by Wake's pre-sec rejections. Last year it seemed like half the people on the NC thread were rejected in July from Wake, so try not to take it too personally.

:luck:

thanx mustangsally...you're motivation is very inspiring. Keep up the good work and good luck!

Does anyone know when UNC sends out secondaries to OOS? It seems like all the in-state people are receiving them now. Also, has anyone heard anything from Duke?

Ginkneephur said:
Does anyone know when UNC sends out secondaries to OOS? It seems like all the in-state people are receiving them now. Also, has anyone heard anything from Duke?

I heard that Duke sends out the secondary later than most schools. They must really like throwing the crazy big secondary on us when we're already sick of them.

I'm also expecting a longer wait for us OOS people for UNC.

I am an in-stater and haven't gotten a secondary from UNC yet. Anybody like me out there?

NC2007 said:
I am an in-stater and haven't gotten a secondary from UNC yet. Anybody like me out there?

yeah, ME!

bwbaker said:
still no unc secondary here

when was your AMCAS verified? mine was verified in back in June...maybe that has something to do with it

my amcas was processed on July 21st. That might be the reason. I know they did most of june.

OOS (duke graduate), got the invite to submit supplemental to UNC's md/phd. anyone know how many they invite to apply?

southpaux said:
OOS (duke graduate), got the invite to submit supplemental to UNC's md/phd. anyone know how many they invite to apply?

UNC and Wake only send secondaries to people they plan to interview. I know that much. I didn't apply to Duke or ECU, but have gotten/submitted secondaries for UNC and Wake. Both interviews have been scheduled.

FutureNeuroStud said:
UNC and Wake only send secondaries to people they plan to interview. I know that much. I didn't apply to Duke or ECU, but have gotten/submitted secondaries for UNC and Wake. Both interviews have been scheduled.

For those of you who did the Wake secondary: did you write anything in the additional Personal Comments section? They don't give a character limit, so I'm unsure of how much to write, and what to write about.

FutureNeuroStud said:
wake does? does this only apply to in staters?

My file's complete at UNC and Wake Forest. I got an email from UNC saying that they would make a decision to interview me sometime soon so for OOS there's another screening post-secondary. I don't know if OOS automatically get an interview at Wake or not; they never said that I had an interview for sure, they just said my file was complete and that they'd contact me soon.

Erina said:
wake does? does this only apply to in staters?

I just checked on the status page at Wake and it said if they wanted to interview me I'd be contacted so I guess that means OOSers are screened again post-secondary.

I'm an instater and I haven't heard anything from UNC yet other than their initial email about my AMCAS application. I was verified on July 21. Is anybody in the same boat? I do not know if that means I'm not getting a secondary or not.

I called wake and they said for instaters and out-of-stater, they screen before and after secondaries. So if you got a secondary, it does not mean you get an interview.

UNC's everyone who gets a secondary gets an interview thing is VERY uncommon. They're the only school i know of who does that. The vast majority of schools send everyone a secondary, then screen for interviews. Schools that screen pre-secondary generally also screen pre-interview.

southpaux said:
I'm also applying to UNC's MD/PhD program (and Duke's). Good :luck: to us! :D

Edit: Didn't get invited yet for the supplemental, though.

Hey Guys,
I'm back for round 2 of applications (not too much luck last year). But I am an In-stater, and havent heard anything at all from UNC or Duke, I have completed my Apps at ECU, and WFU, and just got an email a few days ago for an interview at WFU (I was waitlisted there last year), so hopefully i'll have some better luck this year, my interview is for monday 9/25, which is the first day they interview (incase anyone was curious, or has the same date as me, let me know).
Also, does anyone know if UNC has a status page that you can check up on your application?
And one more question, I got an interview invite from NYMC, does anyone know how it compares to NC schools, or does anyone know how many OOS they interview/accept, its just a lot of money to go interview somewhere that far away.
Thanks guys, goodluck again to everyone applying this year, it'll be a fun one,
Kevin P.

kapaduch said:
Hey Guys,
I'm back for round 2 of applications (not too much luck last year). But I am an In-stater, and havent heard anything at all from UNC or Duke, I have completed my Apps at ECU, and WFU, and just got an email a few days ago for an interview at WFU (I was waitlisted there last year), so hopefully i'll have some better luck this year, my interview is for monday 9/25, which is the first day they interview (incase anyone was curious, or has the same date as me, let me know).
Also, does anyone know if UNC has a status page that you can check up on your application?
And one more question, I got an interview invite from NYMC, does anyone know how it compares to NC schools, or does anyone know how many OOS they interview/accept, its just a lot of money to go interview somewhere that far away.
Thanks guys, goodluck again to everyone applying this year, it'll be a fun one,
Kevin P.
congrats on the interviews! do you remember when you were complete at wake forest?

i hope you have a better outcome this time around :luck:

so for some rather odd reasons, I'll now be throwing an app in the direction of Wake (just as I thought I was finished with secondaries. anyone know what kind of things they ask on the secondary?

Status
Not open for further replies.