2007 Non-Trad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First off, let me say congratulations to those of you who were successful in your applications, and best of luck to those who are still in the middle of it all. I don't think I've posted before. I have prowled this site many a time though, usually when I'm feeling anxious or curious about this baffling process of applying to med school. I'm 36, have an MFA in music and BA in liberal arts, and I'm working as a university lecturer in London, UK. I volunteered in San Francisco's ER, in London for St John Ambulance, and trying to get into the London Royal Hospital's A & E volunteer program. I applied to 12 schools after taking the August MCAT, on which I got a 32S. My GPA is 3.6. I realize that particularly with us non-trads these numbers mean less, but it *seems* as though most non-trads get a 4.0 on the pre-med sciences, which is not the case for me. I've received one rejection letter (UCSD) and have heard nothing from UCD, UCSF, and UCLA. I've submitted complete Secondaries to Dartmouth, Einstein, Mt Sinai, NYU, SUNY Downstate, Jefferson, Tufts, and Tulane. So far, no news. I'm trying to be patient. This is more difficult than any of the other steps of the process, since there are no more steps I can take at this point. This gives me time to think: did I apply to enough schools? Did I set my sights too high? Should I have done this differently? Should I have taken the April MCAT? Am I going to be interviewed? Where and when? How much longer do I have to wait? I'm trying (very hard) to detach myself from the outcome, but I really want this to be over. I'm not necessarily asking for answers to these questions, but just need to send these thoughts out into cyberspace.

Members don't see this ad.

just wanted to let everyone know I got my second interview invite: PCOM. Woohoo! It's a good school so I'm excited I made the cut. Hope everyone is doing well :) :luck:

just wanted to let everyone know I got my second interview invite: PCOM. Woohoo! It's a good school so I'm excited I made the cut. Hope everyone is doing well :) :luck:

YEAH!!!! Congrats!!!! Good luck on the interview!

:luck: :luck: :luck: :clap: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
y-marker, i am both a figure skater and a skiier. not a competitive skiier or anything too serious, but i'm decent. i think my skating helped SO much with skiing. on the other hand, i know many excellent skiiers who were absolutely no good at ice skating ever. so i think ice skating can only help with learning how to ski, but you can definitely develop skiing skills as a non-skater. :)
I did not know either of those things about you. Neat. You should teach me. I did not get any opportunity to learn skating or skiing growing up in FL. :p

I wish you much luck on your interview, punk rawk mama! :luck: :horns: :luck: Though you've made it this far, so you don't really need any luck, just a good night's rest beforehand.

I went to grad school with a bunch of people from Oberlin: Amanda Piasecki, Jared McAdams, Jen Baker, and a few others though I can't remember their names. I saw that you went there on your profile.

I did not know either of those things about you. Neat. You should teach me. I did not get any opportunity to learn skating or skiing growing up in FL. :p

Exactly what I was thinking - i.e. the teaching part. When do we start our lessons scent? PS: Q- I go first right? :p

:laugh: ok, Q and Y, we'll set up some skating and/or skiing lessons next time we're in the same area. :D

....deleted post....

I wish you much luck on your interview, punk rawk mama! :luck: :horns: :luck: Though you've made it this far, so you don't really need any luck, just a good night's rest beforehand.

I went to grad school with a bunch of people from Oberlin: Amanda Piasecki, Jared McAdams, Jen Baker, and a few others though I can't remember their names. I saw that you went there on your profile.

It's such a small school, I bet if I saw their faces I would recognize them. Such a tiny fishbowl of a school :laugh:

we don't mind if you whine! :)

:D You are sweet.

I was just lamenting my biochem grade. I wanted the A and did not get it. I forgot for a moment that I was more than a GPA and MCAT score!! Guess I've been hanging out on the pre-allo threads a little to long. :laugh:

I needed to get some perspective so I went for a run with my children. Perspective is now back. This old brain got a B+ in biochem while surviving med school interviews, driving 3 hours round trip for each class, laboring through one lecture, delivering my daughter and then being back in class 4 days later. I will take the B+.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my first rejection letter today. It was from Dowstate which was kind of shocking. I mean I dont have high hopes since I do have a lousy undergrad GPA, though I was battling recurrent cancer and all, and I do have a decent post bac gpa but com'on I have a 39 on MCAT and I couldnt get an interview at least, and I'm in-state too. Oh well, c'est la vie :(

I have had one interview, at AECOM, have yet to hear from any of the other schools ( 10 total ) that i have applied to. I took the April MCAT's, was complete at most schools by late September and am just twiddling my thumbs waiting. Oh I did have a baby ( well my wife was the one ) two weeks ago...so that beats anything they can send me but it would be a nice icing on the cake.

Thanks for letting me vent and good luck to everyone. Happy Holidays too.

Got the thin envelope from Pritzker today. No biggie, just one less "update" letter I need to send. ;)

Edit:

I nearly forgot: Congrats MVDM!

Babies popping up in this forum left and right! Hopefully Santa brings all us parents acceptance letters as a reward for doing it all :)

Found out today that I have been accepted at AZCOM! It's a great feeling to know that I have been accepted somewhere.

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back from schools! I've got a lot of decisions pending myself. I'll update the thread if I hear anything new.:thumbup:

:D You are sweet.

I was just lamenting my biochem grade. I wanted the A and did not get it. I forgot for a moment that I was more than a GPA and MCAT score!! Guess I've been hanging out on the pre-allo threads a little to long. :laugh:

I needed to get some perspective so I went for a run with my children. Perspective is now back. This old brain got a B+ in biochem while surviving med school interviews, driving 3 hours round trip for each class, laboring through one lecture, delivering my daughter and then being back in class 4 days later. I will take the B+.

Lamenting a B+?!!!! Shee-zus. ;) You should be patting yourself on the back. That's an achievement, even without the added bonus of commuting and parenting. Good job. :thumbup:

Found out today that I have been accepted at AZCOM! It's a great feeling to know that I have been accepted somewhere.

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back from schools! I've got a lot of decisions pending myself. I'll update the thread if I hear anything new.:thumbup:

Just found out today that I have been accepted at UK! This is the best feeling in the world!:thumbup:

RisingSun, did your interviewer call you? I'm really glad for you.

RisingSun, did your interviewer call you? I'm really glad for you.

No, I got an email from an admissions staff. I loved UK when I visited and can't wait to attend!

when did you apply and did they tell you they would call? they told my group to call Friday. Lucky you to hear so soon.

RisingSun, when did you apply and did they tell you they would call? they told my group to call Friday. Lucky you to hear so soon.

oops, sorry for double post.

Okay, I'm starting to freak out. Many people already have interview invites (not to mention the hoards that have already had interviews and acceptances) but I have nothing but silence except for two outright rejections. I feel like calling the schools just to play that stupid game where you let the admissions staff know that you are calling so that your name gets put into a file. Is that what I'm doing wrong? Everyone I speak with at school is confused, and say that I should be getting interviews. What gives? I've worked too hard and sacrificed too much, not to mention my career and sanity, to not make it all the way through this. :scared:

Okay, I'm starting to freak out. Many people already have interview invites (not to mention the hoards that have already had interviews and acceptances) but I have nothing but silence except for two outright rejections. I feel like calling the schools just to play that stupid game where you let the admissions staff know that you are calling so that your name gets put into a file. Is that what I'm doing wrong? Everyone I speak with at school is confused, and say that I should be getting interviews. What gives? I've worked too hard and sacrificed too much, not to mention my career and sanity, to not make it all the way through this. :scared:
You're a FL resident, right? Did you apply to the FL schools? Have you heard back from any of them? The problem is, as long as your app is active, they probably won't talk to you in terms of giving you advice on how to improve. If you aren't active at USF, I highly suggest that you talk to REL Larkin there. He gave me excellent advice. You can also talk to Robyn Sheppard at UF and Dr. Hinkley at UM. Good luck, LD.

You're a FL resident, right? Did you apply to the FL schools? Have you heard back from any of them? The problem is, as long as your app is active, they probably won't talk to you in terms of giving you advice on how to improve. If you aren't active at USF, I highly suggest that you talk to REL Larkin there. He gave me excellent advice. You can also talk to Robyn Sheppard at UF and Dr. Hinkley at UM. Good luck, LD.

Yeah, I applied to all of the allopathic schools in Florida (I'm active at all of them, but it's all silence), and 12 others from out of state (2 pre-interview rejections). I'm going to go ahead and fax my updated fall grades tomorrow morning, maybe that'll kick things into gear but I doubt it. I royally screwed up by applying to so late in the process in mid September.

Yeah, I applied to all of the allopathic schools in Florida (I'm active at all of them, but it's all silence), and 12 others from out of state (2 pre-interview rejections). I'm going to go ahead and fax my updated fall grades tomorrow morning, maybe that'll kick things into gear but I doubt it. I royally screwed up by applying to so late in the process in mid September.
When were you complete? If you just got complete at most places, then that probably explains why you haven't heard anything yet. It takes a month or two at most schools before you'll hear anything once they receive your secondaries, LORs, and fees. Last year, I was complete at all of the FL schools in early July, but I didn't start interviewing at any of them until mid-September, and my Miami interview wasn't until mid-October. So if you submitted AMCAS in Sept. and you just got complete, you shouldn't expect to hear anything for a while.

I'm going to be a doctor! I got into LECOM in the Independent Study Pathway today. So, I'll be cancelling my PCOM interview. Woohoo! It would have been so humiliating if the person who started the 2007 progress thread didn't get in! I can't believe after all these years of working it is finally happening. A Christmas miracle for sure :)

Congrats RisingSun. It's a very happy New Year for us :)

To others still hanging: keep the faith. I started this application process back in June. I only got 2 interviews (only went to one) and got one acceptance. That's all it takes. Good luck :luck:

Happy holidays all my wonderful non-trads! :love:

I'm going to be a doctor! I got into LECOM in the Independent Study Pathway today. So, I'll be cancelling my PCOM interview. Woohoo! It would have been so humiliating if the person who started the 2007 progress thread didn't get in! I can't believe after all these years of working it is finally happening. A Christmas miracle for sure :)

To others still hanging: keep the faith. I started this application process back in June. I only got 2 interviews (only went to one) and got one acceptance. That's all it takes. Good luck :luck:

Congrats, Mies. I'm very happy for you. :)

It's about time that a school scooped you up! Congrats! Are you going to cancel all your other applications?

Congrats MVDM! I've been pulling for you! Merry X-mas.

Hi LifetimeDoc,

I would suggest you call the offices of schools you're most interested in and find out if you're being reviewed yet. Generally, the people in most admissions offices seem to be very nice and will give you that info. I applied fairly late and am also playing the waiting game. With at least 2 of my apps, I am under active review and another is waiting to be reviewed. Hope this helps

YAYAYAYAY CONGRATS!!! :D

AWESOME!!! Congrats and happy for you Mies!!!

Congrats to you! That's great news indeed. No miracle about it, your hard work and dedication paid off. Good job and good luck.

Hey Guys,

Congrats on everyones acceptances! I don't post here much at all but it's too gruelling going through this alone. Anyway I have only had one interview so far at Drexel Med back on 10.14. Eight weeks later I got the rejection letter in the mail to say "thanks for availing yourself of the opportunity to interview...not many people make it this far..." I think I have been seriously down since I found out last Monday. Anyway my student interviewer recommended me for admission (she told me so post interview) and my faculty interview went ok as well. Hence I am depressed, shocked, upset, dumbfounded...I need to relax! Anyone have any feedback about post interview rejections? They said both interviews are weighted equally, but with a straight up rejection I dont think they are. Any thoughts on this?

Other than Drexel I am in the "want to interview hold pile" at UVM and MCW. Have not heard much from other schools. Does anyone think I should retake the MCAT, is that my problem? or should I take more classes?

Any advice from those of you who have been there or those of you who have something to share, would be much appreciated. Thx everyone! Happy Holidays!

My stats in a nutshell:
cum ugrad-3.38, postbac-3.78, grad-3.71
April MCAT: 28R (11PS, 8VR, 9BS)
Undergrad Scholar, postbac Med scholar, tons of research exp, volunteer exp, and currently I do clinical research in psychiatry.

Hey Guys,

Congrats on everyones acceptances! I don't post here much at all but it's too gruelling going through this alone. Anyway I have only had one interview so far at Drexel Med back on 10.14. Eight weeks later I got the rejection letter in the mail to say "thanks for availing yourself of the opportunity to interview...not many people make it this far..." I think I have been seriously down since I found out last Monday. Anyway my student interviewer recommended me for admission (she told me so post interview) and my faculty interview went ok as well. Hence I am depressed, shocked, upset, dumbfounded...I need to relax! Anyone have any feedback about post interview rejections? They said both interviews are weighted equally, but with a straight up rejection I dont think they are. Any thoughts on this?

Other than Drexel I am in the "want to interview hold pile" at UVM and MCW. Have not heard much from other schools. Does anyone think I should retake the MCAT, is that my problem? or should I take more classes?

Any advice from those of you who have been there or those of you who have something to share, would be much appreciated. Thx everyone! Happy Holidays!

My stats in a nutshell:
Undergrad Scholar, postbac Med scholar, tons of research exp, volunteer exp, and currently I do clinical research in psychiatry.

How broadly did you apply? You may have not applied to enough schools, or in particular, schools that are looking for an applicant like you. Some schools wanted to interview me right away, and I was rejected pre-interview right away by a few schools. And it wasn't because of my stats, I don't think at least. My point is that it seems that many schools are looking for a particular something in their applicants that is not in their numbers (which, BTW, in your case I think are solid and shouldn't be an issue, except maybe for your ugrad GPA).

Keep your chin up. I think that there is lots of time still left to get interviews this cycle.:thumbup:

How broadly did you apply? You may have not applied to enough schools, or in particular, schools that are looking for an applicant like you. Some schools wanted to interview me right away, and I was rejected pre-interview right away by a few schools. And it wasn't because of my stats, I don't think at least. My point is that it seems that many schools are looking for a particular something in their applicants that is not in their numbers (which, BTW, in your case I think are solid and shouldn't be an issue, except maybe for your ugrad GPA).

Keep your chin up. I think that there is lots of time still left to get interviews this cycle.:thumbup:

Thanks Rising! I did apply broadly to schools like Creighton, Rosalind Franklin, Loyoloa, NYMC, Albany, UVM, LLU, SLU and MCW. Hopefully one of these schools will work out for me. One thing that bothered me at Drexel was that the faculty interviewer, after asking what am I going to do if I dont get in, said that with my lab background I could take some more courses. When she said that I kind of felt like she had already made up her mind not to accept me. My answer to her question was that I would keep trying for medical school, and build off of my patient care experience at work. Of course it is frustrating to have an interviewer ask such a question because I took four graduate courses last year and did really well in them, pharmacology and biochemistry to name a few. In any case thanks for your support. I'll keep my chin up!

Hey Guys,

My stats in a nutshell:

I'll probably give up my interview @ MCW. If you're still interested, I hope it goes to you.

Anyone have any feedback about post interview rejections? They said both interviews are weighted equally, but with a straight up rejection I dont think they are. Any thoughts on this?
Since you've already been rejected, I'd call them (possibly try to get in touch with dean of admissions) and ask for the reason(s) you were rejected. At least you can have an idea of what went wrong. It doesn't make sense for them to interview someone but then reject after good interviews (assuming your interviewers didn't lie to make you feel better).

Since you've already been rejected, I'd call them (possibly try to get in touch with dean of admissions) and ask for the reason(s) you were rejected. At least you can have an idea of what went wrong. It doesn't make sense for them to interview someone but then reject after good interviews (assuming your interviewers didn't lie to make you feel better).

I agree in that it makes no sense to me. I sent the admcom director an email as well as the faculty that interviewed me, asking why. I know the student interviewer recommended me because she told me so, but the faculty interview although it went well, she might have thought differently. In that case wouldnt a third interview to clear up any discrepancies be warranted? How about a waitlist? Who knows anyway. Seems like I am not meant to go there.

I'll probably give up my interview @ MCW. If you're still interested, I hope it goes to you.

Thanks Y_Marker! I am praying for the butterfly effect on this one! I appreciate your freeing up a slot though.

I agree in that it makes no sense to me. I sent the admcom director an email as well as the faculty that interviewed me, asking why. I know the student interviewer recommended me because she told me so, but the faculty interview although it went well, she might have thought differently. In that case wouldnt a third interview to clear up any discrepancies be warranted? How about a waitlist? Who knows anyway. Seems like I am not meant to go there.
Well... anyway, the process is a crapshoot. If it makes you feel any better, my drexel interviews were terrible and I got waitlisted... completely random.

rejected by case and vcu on christmas eve. thanks guys. merry christmas.:(

rejected by case and vcu on christmas eve. thanks guys. merry christmas.:(

sorry to hear this! Case rejected me back in the first week of august. it was the most lightening fast rejection in the history of mankind. Cleveland sucks anyway. :mad:

It's about time that a school scooped you up! Congrats! Are you going to cancel all your other applications?

yes, I'm cancelling all the other apps. Hopefully my PCOM interviw goes to an earnest SDN'er who's been waiting for one.

yes, I'm cancelling all the other apps. Hopefully my PCOM interviw goes to an earnest SDN'er who's been waiting for one.

It sounds like Lake Erie will be really good for your family. Congrats on getting into your first choice!:thumbup:

Accepted by UNECOM, waitlisted by UMDNJ-SOM and have 2 more interview invites that I will most likely cancel. LECOM-Erie and NSU

Congrats to MSVDM and everyone else who got accepted. To those that did not, this is my second round of applications after 14 rejections last year. If this is what you want, keep at it.