2007 Non-Trad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Vincir...MD only?

Yep, only MD - no DO schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I finally got an interview! And it;s my top choice school. Woohoo!!!!!!

I haven't been congratulating people lately because I had become very depressed/worried and thus jealous. :oops: sorry. I had really lost ALL hope before today. I'm so psyched! It only takes one interview, one acceptance, right? Woohoo! I'm still in the game!

Belated congrats to everyone :)

Members don't see this ad :)

I haven't been congratulating people lately because I had become very depressed/worried and thus jealous. :oops: sorry. I had really lost ALL hope before today. I'm so psyched! It only takes one interview, one acceptance, right? Woohoo! I'm still in the game!

Congrats!!!! I'm rooting for you!!! :hardy: :clap: :hardy: :clap: :love:

YAY MVDM!!!! :D :clap: :hardy: :clap: :D

we are SO rooting for you. GOOD LUCK!!

Congratulations! And I hope (I'm sure it will be) that this is the first of many!:thumbup:

Congrats!!!!!:) I wish you the best of luck.

ps I know how you feel before you got your interview, I have not heard a peep (have not gotten an interview or any rejections) from anyone. I took the Aug. MCAT for the first time.

sorry wrong_answer....join the Pitt waitlist club!! :(

hopefully we will both have good news come may! :luck:
Hey, thanks for the support. I "know people who know people"... and apparantly my undergrad grades did me in. :(

Well, good luck to you too! You think if I save a turkey this year, I'll improve my chances off getting of the waitlist?:laugh: :luck:

Congrats! Hope you get in... which is your top choice?

sorry wrong_answer....join the Pitt waitlist club!! :(

hopefully we will both have good news come may! :luck:

recent chatter has been that waitlists will move a lot this year since people applied to a lot of schools this year (more multiple acceptances). I'll be thinking good thoughts for you both!:luck:

recent chatter has been that waitlists will move a lot this year since people applied to a lot of schools this year (more multiple acceptances). I'll be thinking good thoughts for you both!:luck:
Hi guys-I have a question about the waitlist movement. So I know that by May 15 everybody can only be holding on to one acceptance right? Then why is it that people are being taken off of waitlists until the first day of classes? Shouldn't things be ready to go by late may? Just wondering...any info would be appreciated! Thanks:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys-I have a question about the waitlist movement. So I know that by May 15 everybody can only be holding on to one acceptance right? Then why is it that people are being taken off of waitlists until the first day of classes? Shouldn't things be ready to go by late may? Just wondering...any info would be appreciated! Thanks:)

the idea is this: Joey is on a waitlist at his #1 choice. He gets off and withdraws from School A. Lisa now gets off the waitlist at A and withdraws her spot at B. Now there's a spot at B. Steve takes this spot and withdraws from school C. And so on. It takes time for people to move around. Schools keep getting withdrawn acceptances and spots keep opening up. See what I'm saying?

the idea is this: Joey is on a waitlist at his #1 choice. He gets off and withdraws from School A. Lisa now gets off the waitlist at A and withdraws her spot at B. Now there's a spot at B. Steve takes this spot and withdraws from school C. And so on. It takes time for people to move around. Schools keep getting withdrawn acceptances and spots keep opening up. See what I'm saying?

yes! thank you:)

Hey guys. I look here but rarely post. Getting all weird about hearing from schools, so I figure writing will do me some good. Applied to 26 schools and currently I have:

3 rejections (Mayo, GTown, Minnesota-Duluth)
2 pre-interview holds (GWU, UPenn)
8 interviews (Penn State, Vanderbilt, Pitt, BU, Einstein, Mount Sinai, Colorado, Emory)
2 acceptances (Colorado, Pitt)

I am, of course, freaking out about hearing from schools and terrorizing the mailman. I hope I'm not alone in this.

Anyone hear from Emory or Vandy recently (I interviewed 10/27 and 10/30, respectively)? Seeking a respite from the madness.

PS: If you're applying next year and want info/stats, pm me. I have a low gpa/high mcat and am 4 years out of college, so I am a bit "off the map" for a lot of the schools.

Hey guys. I look here but rarely post. Getting all weird about hearing from schools, so I figure writing will do me some good. Applied to 26 schools and currently I have:

3 rejections (Mayo, GTown, Minnesota-Duluth)
2 pre-interview holds (GWU, UPenn)
8 interviews (Penn State, Vanderbilt, Pitt, BU, Einstein, Mount Sinai, Colorado, Emory)
2 acceptances (Colorado, Pitt)

I am, of course, freaking out about hearing from schools and terrorizing the mailman. I hope I'm not alone in this.

Anyone hear from Emory or Vandy recently (I interviewed 10/27 and 10/30, respectively)? Seeking a respite from the madness.

PS: If you're applying next year and want info/stats, pm me. I have a low gpa/high mcat and am 4 years out of college, so I am a bit "off the map" for a lot of the schools.

You're gonna be a doc! Relax and enjoy the sunshine. Don't worry about the other schools. :thumbup:

You're gonna be a doc! Relax and enjoy the sunshine. Don't worry about the other schools. :thumbup:
yeah, what that guy said. you already got into 2 schools... not really sure what else you're looking for here :confused:

living in colorado would be incredible... mountains, hiking, biking, skiing, scuba diving. pittsburgh... well, great school, and uhh... yeah, great school.

good luck with the rest of the cycle, though.

Got out 13 secondaries, waiting on 3 more secondaries to arrive from extreme reach schools, currently complete at 6 schools as of yesterday, 0 interviews. Submitted primary on 9/15, so applied really late in the process.

Congrats MVDM!

I got an update from PSU!

They finally decided I was complete and told me not to call them.

:mad:

Bah!

Your application to the Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine is
complete. Please understand that the Admissions Committee reviews all completed applications in the random and rolling order they were received.

Accordingly, the time necessary to process our many applications means that your application will not be reviewed immediately. We therefore request that you refrain from calling our office for your application status. This will enable us to process your application in the timeliest manner possible.

:laugh:

"Call us and we'll never process you. Ever! Nyah..."

yay! just got an interview invite for the md/phd program at UIC. i love chicago!! i'm so pumped!

Congrats Scenti!

Quix: I got the same crap from PSU. Then I got a "continue to review" letter warning me to only send official transcripts and no other updates. I'm not sure what the punishment is, but med schools are pretty sick, so...

All
: I had my interview today. I was half an hour late because I got lost! So humiliating. I have no idea how the interview went. I just hope I hear back soon. All I want is one acceptace. One interview, one acceptance, and I'm a doctor. Got all fingers and toes crossed. :thumbup:

Hang in there, my fellow non-trads. We're distance runners, not sprinters, right? There is much interview/acceptance/off-the-waitlist love yet to come. It's early!

Whoo Hoo! I'm complete at 8 schools now! Still waiting to hear about being complete at 5 others, and still waiting on decisions about secondaries from 3 others. :)

Now, the long wait for interviews... :eek: :D

Got put on hold at Pritzker and UPenn. No surprises there. I'll e-mail them with updates once I hear publication dates for the critical care nephrology textbook. ;)

Ok I have a question...if I do not get in this cycle, I was thinking about retaking some classes that I received a C+ in (org chem, and basic bio:( :( but I did extremely well in my upper div bio classes-all A's)..but I got a 11V 11P 10B on the mcat, has anyone done this? Would they recommend it? Do med schools even care? Any info would help!!

Hi all!

I have never looked at the non-trad threads before but you guys seem really supportive. About me:

-Took almost 8 years to graduate due to mothers death, father-in-law's illness and subsequent death, personal heath problems, husband sent overseas, and oh ya...our house burned down.

-Even with all that I did graduate with a 3.96.

-Found out I was pregnant two week before the MCAT and threw up twice during (ended up with a 31Q)

-Worked in hospitals for over two years coordinating sexual assault forensic exams and advocating for the patients.

-Researched for a year, did an internship in which I shadowed doctors, and volunteer in a clinic.

I am worried that my many withdrawals (like three years worth), and the fact that I have an 8-mo-old baby, will keep me from med school. I have a really stable life and have separate income to afford a nanny. I know I can do it; I am just worried the adcom will not have faith in me.

I have interviewed at 6 schools (UofA, Drexel, Baylor, Mayo, RFCMS, Harvard) and I have interviews with Penn State, Mount Sinai, and Brown left. I am on hold for potential interviews at Pritzker and UCSD.

I'm finding it increasingly more difficult to keep myself from checking my email 15x a day. How do you stand the wait? Do you think I have a chance? P.S. I do not mind if you need to fib in order to give a positive response.;)

Congrats on the interviews! :clap: An interview means the admission committees think you can handle medical school and have faith you can get through it.

Congrats on your interviews. You can explain your withdrawals briefly if it will make you feel better. But you should be prooud of your high MCAT and GPA!

So I consider today a wash: 1 post secondary rejection and 1 interview invite. Though I'm guessing most of the places I haven't heard from aren't as interested in me.

Congrats on the interviews! :clap: An interview means the admission committees think you can handle medical school and have faith you can get through it.

Congrats on your interviews. You can explain your withdrawals briefly if it will make you feel better. But you should be prooud of your high MCAT and GPA!

Thank you for the support! I am still waiting for my first acceptance though. I always thought I was good at waiting (did plenty when my husband was overseas), but this really hard! I am not just moving myself but my entire family. If I get in somewhere I will need to buy a home, find daycare, and my husband will need to apply to the police departments. Is it to much to ask to know what time zone I will be living in?

Hi all!

I have never looked at the non-trad threads before but you guys seem really supportive. About me:

-Took almost 8 years to graduate due to mothers death, father-in-law's illness and subsequent death, personal heath problems, husband sent overseas, and oh ya...our house burned down.

-Even with all that I did graduate with a 3.96.

-Found out I was pregnant two week before the MCAT and threw up twice during (ended up with a 31Q)

-Worked in hospitals for over two years coordinating sexual assault forensic exams and advocating for the patients.

-Researched for a year, did an internship in which I shadowed doctors, and volunteer in a clinic.

I am worried that my many withdrawals (like three years worth), and the fact that I have an 8-mo-old baby, will keep me from med school. I have a really stable life and have separate income to afford a nanny. I know I can do it; I am just worried the adcom will not have faith in me.

I have interviewed at 6 schools (UofA, Drexel, Baylor, Mayo, RFCMS, Harvard) and I have interviews with Penn State, Mount Sinai, and Brown left. I am on hold for potential interviews at Pritzker and UCSD.

I'm finding it increasingly more difficult to keep myself from checking my email 15x a day. How do you stand the wait? Do you think I have a chance? P.S. I do not mind if you need to fib in order to give a positive response.;)

holy crap. you interviewed at harvard and you're nervous? you'll be fine. :thumbup: :laugh:

I'm finding it increasingly more difficult to keep myself from checking my email 15x a day. How do you stand the wait?

[Insert fingers-crossed smilie here] When that time comes for me (hopefully this time two years from now), I'll probably buy myself a email-capable cellphone so I can check my messages 50x daily, not 15x daily...:p :p :p

When will you hear back from LECOM, Mies? :luck: to you. :)

Scent, congrats again on the UIC interview. You go, girl. :thumbup:

I'm hoping to hear back before Christmas. The adcom met and decided my fate this past Wednesday but I also applied to a special program (independent study) so I won't hear anything until thwy decide on that as well. I hope I don't have to wait until next year!

If I get in I will be obnoxiously posting it all over SDN immediately. After running down the street screaming.

I got an interview invite @ UT Southwestern!!

Another score for nontrads!

Gotta invite to MCW today and declined my Kansas invite. Incase anyone had gotten the "you've been moved to a smaller pool of applicants," letter earlier apparently they do invite folks out of that. I was fearing that was a hold/inevitable rejection.

Anyone know any good ski places in WI? I'm thinking of flying into chicago - try out the deep dish and drive over.

Oh, how I needed a good hard laugh and oh you provided one. Skiing in Wisconsin? That's hysterical.

Yes, I know you CAN ski there, they actually enable you by building "resorts" and such. But the highest point in the state is under 2000 feet!

Or were you talking about cross country? If so, my bad.

Wow Y_Marker...you are doing awesome! Congrats and :luck: to all non-trads!

Wow Y_Marker...you are doing awesome! Congrats and :luck: to all non-trads!

Thanks Rad11!

Oh, how I needed a good hard laugh and oh you provided one. Skiing in Wisconsin? That's hysterical.

Yes, I know you CAN ski there, they actually enable you by building "resorts" and such. But the highest point in the state is under 2000 feet!

Or were you talking about cross country? If so, my bad.

Us folks from the south get excited when we see snow :p So I've never actually tried skiing before. Is X-country a bad choice to start? I'm guessing I'd prolly want to take some lessons other than the southpark french fries / pizza stance. For some reason my fear is my feet will get stuck and i'll twist my ankle but people tell me that the eqp is designed such that the shoes pop out? Also is there any correlation with ice skating -> skiing? If so, I should consider a different vacation :oops:

Y: If you can ice skate, you can probably ski... not because they're particularly similar, but if you have good balance you can do it. Just remember to bend your knees and keep your weight forward.
:)

Hey, looks like lots of good stuff happening for the you guys this week...

Good luck to MVDM and scentimint especially... pgh peeps rock!

My update: not good... heard about a waitlist from a certain school in Philly on Monday and subsequently had so-so interview in DC on Tuesday (was really tired...)

y-marker, i am both a figure skater and a skiier. not a competitive skiier or anything too serious, but i'm decent. i think my skating helped SO much with skiing. on the other hand, i know many excellent skiiers who were absolutely no good at ice skating ever. so i think ice skating can only help with learning how to ski, but you can definitely develop skiing skills as a non-skater. :)