2008-2009 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
when my complete disappeared it was accompanied by a pre-interview hold email

same with me, pre-interview hold

Members don't see this ad.

Does pre-interview hold = rejection? Are they rejecting people right now too or just putting people on hold?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't get it, I got an interview at Case, but I think I am on hold at SUNY because my status disappeared. I mean, I don't think my application is bad enough for a hold (34R 3.87 gpa)? Is it possible that they have are not interviewing a lot of applicants that they don't think are very serious about the school?

I don't get it, I got an interview at Case, but I think I am on hold at SUNY because my status disappeared. I mean, I don't think my application is bad enough for a hold (34R 3.87 gpa)? Is it possible that they have are not interviewing a lot of applicants that they don't think are very serious about the school?

your stats are great but you can't win them all

Hey those ppl with completed applications can you post when you sent in your LOR's? I sent mine in on the 5th of August and they still don't show as received on the website...

Hey those ppl with completed applications can you post when you sent in your LOR's? I sent mine in on the 5th of August and they still don't show as received on the website...

Call them ASAP and ask them to check for your letters. Otherwise, they will pass you by and pick other students. Be proactive in this process because some people fall in the cracks and they don't realize it until the last minute. :woot:

I have called twice already in the past and they just brush me off and tell me they are working as fast as they can and then I just sent an email today. I think maybe I'll call them again tomorrow and be a little bit more firm and ask someone to check on it.:confused:

Agree to the comment about calling. Also, check to see when the LORs were received.. assuming they were sent by trackable means.

I saw the complete status disappear yesterday and today I got an email informing me that I'm on old...

Arghh.. 2nd school putting me on hold..

ditto on that, on pre-interview hold, so what does this really mean, i know they said they would review us again...but when :(

Members don't see this ad :)
ditto on that, on pre-interview hold, so what does this really mean, i know they said they would review us again...but when :(

I can tell you are from NYC, so am I...

Why don't the SUNYs show us IS-ers some love..

Complete! let's see if I get a hold too!:p

Hey I am also on Pre-interview Hold at SUNY and Penn State
What is everyone's status on interviews right now? I am worried because my boyfriend has six at the moment (I am happy for him), but I am also freaking out on the inside. I have 2 and am waiting to hopefully get more. I didn't get in last year and I had 2 interviews.

first hold for me.

Wow I'm surprise at the number of holds actually... I think theres more holds than interviews.. at least from what I can tell on this thread...

I was complete 1 week after the letters were mailed. I would definitely call!

Does anyone have the link to the secondary site that they can post? Thanks

I have better MCAT/worse GPA than you, also hold.

Is anyone else working on the "essay" part of the interview?
Does anyone know how this works?
So do they ask questions from this essay when they interview you,
or is this something they look at after the interview?

Hey there,

They are trying something new this year and the essays are the only thing your interviewers will have on you, not your AMCAS, grades, MCAT or anything else, just these essays, so write about things you want to talk about. Best of luck with your interview! :luck:

So excited! I got my first interview! Anyone else interviewing week of nov 17th?

Are you serious?? They make you write an essay during an interview? This schools begins to feel a little less attractive..

Are you serious?? They make you write an essay during an interview? This schools begins to feel a little less attractive..

They don't make you write the essay during the interview, you have to turn them in a week before you go. They then interview you closed file, with only those essays to go on....:luck:

I just got the interview invite last night. Whoohoo! It's my first one, so I'm pretty excited. The spots are already hard to come by (mine isn't until Nov 24th). The essays don't look too bad (I can probably cobble some stuff together from other ones I've written) but they don't specify a length. Should I assume like a page is expected? The first essay asks you to write about four interests, so that should take up a decent amount of space.

I just got the interview invite last night. Whoohoo! It's my first one, so I'm pretty excited. The spots are already hard to come by (mine isn't until Nov 24th). The essays don't look too bad (I can probably cobble some stuff together from other ones I've written) but they don't specify a length. Should I assume like a page is expected? The first essay asks you to write about four interests, so that should take up a decent amount of space.

I don't think they expect a certain length, mine ended up being just under one single spaced page each. But I wouldn't worry about the length, just write until you feel you've covered the question adequately.

I don't think they expect a certain length, mine ended up being just under one single spaced page each. But I wouldn't worry about the length, just write until you feel you've covered the question adequately.

That's what I did and they both ended up about a page long.

Did you guys get the confirmation email after you scheduled your interview? I never got it and am wondering if I should email the office. Seems kind of annoying to just email and say "hey where's my email, what happened yo." o_O

Did you guys get the confirmation email after you scheduled your interview? I never got it and am wondering if I should email the office. Seems kind of annoying to just email and say "hey where's my email, what happened yo." o_O

I didn't. I was wondering the same thing. When I logged back in I saw that my interview was scheduled for the date I picked so I'm just waiting for the confirmation email

Hey guys, did most people receive the secondary invite reallly soon after designating them on your AMCAS (like 1 or 2 days)? I just added this school and I'm wondering how long I should wait until I should turn into the evil whiny premed who buggers the people at the admissions offices.

Hi Guys, so does anyone know what form of birthdate is used for the PIN? I've tried all the combinations I can think of and it's not letting me login. I got the secondary email from SUNY but they did not tell me what form the birthdate should be in. THANKS ANYONE THAT CAN HELP!

Hi Guys, so does anyone know what form of birthdate is used for the PIN? I've tried all the combinations I can think of and it's not letting me login. I got the secondary email from SUNY but they did not tell me what form the birthdate should be in. THANKS ANYONE THAT CAN HELP!

the format is mmddyy. did you put A in front of your amcas id #? it might be that instead of the password

Hey guys, did most people receive the secondary invite reallly soon after designating them on your AMCAS (like 1 or 2 days)? I just added this school and I'm wondering how long I should wait until I should turn into the evil whiny premed who buggers the people at the admissions offices.

A lot of people had to wait. For others it took 2-3 business days. You can count on neither of these, so best of luck to you for the latter possibility!:thumbup::luck:

did any1 come off the HOLD list....if so did u guys send them somethin...like an extra LOR and how long did it take?...i'm new to this process...

Just got the HOLD e-mail.

I am also curious as to how many come off of the HOLD list.

Hey guys! When you answered the question about plans for 2008-2009 if you've graduated already did you make this into an essay or just simply state a couple of sentences. I didn't think it was an essay, but if it is supposed to be one I don't want to send in an application with not enough effort into the question. Any advice on length (approx. how many words/paragraphs/whichever) would be greatly appreciated! Thanksss!

I basically described what i'm doing in detail. i'm doing research so I talked specifically about the projects, and about my volunteering. it was about 2 paragraphs.

anyone know of any public transportation to suny upstate? the site just seems to have driving directions...

I got an interview invite! I'm not until Dec 15th though so I got a while to go. I am OOS so I'm not sure why I didn't get held like everyone else but I'm excited because this is my second interview invite! (starting to feel like i'm special :)) Good luck everyone and I'll see you on the 15th if you have interview then!

Is anyone else working on the "essay" part of the interview?
Does anyone know how this works?
So do they ask questions from this essay when they interview you,
or is this something they look at after the interview?

at my interview, we heard that the adcom reads your essays when they're making a decision on your application post-interview.

at my interview, we heard that the adcom reads your essays when they're making a decision on your application post-interview.

Interviews are closed file so there is no bias introduced from your MCAT, GPA, undergrad institution etc. They want to focus more on who you are and look pass the numbers. So all the interviewers have to go on is the essays you submit. Depending on your interviewers they may or may not read it. I know mine certainly did not.

From what I understood, during the adcom meeting, they read your essays, PS, etc out aloud and then vote. All decisions are made then and they do no revisit applications.

I didn't. I was wondering the same thing. When I logged back in I saw that my interview was scheduled for the date I picked so I'm just waiting for the confirmation email

In terms of the confirmation email, don't necessarily wait for it. I think as long as you recheck your status page, the correct date should be there. I got my confirmation e-mail the night before the interview...But that might have been so because it was the 2nd week of interviews.

Good luck!

what does "application preference" mean when you are logging into your status page? mine says "Not entered." I just read someone mdapps and they put "call for application preference." what does that mean? have they not been reviewing my file yet because I haven't called about my application preference? I don't even know what that means...I just know my page has said "complete" for the past month now.

help?

Status
Not open for further replies.