2008-2009 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what does "application preference" mean when you are logging into your status page? mine says "Not entered." I just read someone mdapps and they put "call for application preference." what does that mean? have they not been reviewing my file yet because I haven't called about my application preference? I don't even know what that means...I just know my page has said "complete" for the past month now.

help?

No idea what it means, but it can't mean too much as they gave me an interview about 2 months after completion. Best of luck to you!:thumbup::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

It means nothing. Don't worry about it.

My "complete" status has disappeared!

Does this mean anything?! BTW, I was recently put on hold.

Members don't see this ad :)
My "complete" status has disappeared!

Does this mean anything?! BTW, I was recently put on hold.

Wait...you were put on hold.. and then your status disappeared?

For me, it was... Complete status disappeared and then I was put on hold (email).

I thnk that was the trend for other people as well.

I am not sure what oredered it happened. I just know these two things happened.

Wow, I just realized how neurotic and crazy this process is making me LOL.

I interviewed in Sept. and the status page says "decision made". Is that a bad, good, or really can't tell sign?

hey you guys,

I was checking my status pages and was expecting no changes as usual. I came across upstate and it actually has an update. It says "Decision Made" that's all it says...I just saw this now for the first time and know it wasn't here a few days ago. I haven't received any emails or anything from them, though. so umm what's that mean? rejection I'm assuming? I haven't interviewed or anything like the poster above me.

I interviewed there about a month ago, and my status page also says 'Decision Made'. I don't think that's a good sign if you haven't interviewed...

when did you guys interview there? i was there mid september (18th i think) and dont see that on my status page.. btw by status page do you mean application summary?

when did you guys interview there? i was there mid september (18th i think) and dont see that on my status page.. btw by status page do you mean application summary?

I interviewed sept 29th. My application summary also says decision made. Good or bad, who knows?

that's a bit odd that i interviewed before yet didnt get that message.. hmm..
are you still able to access the interview day section with the essays?

...not sure if i should worry..:confused:

I interviewed there about a month ago, and my status page also says 'Decision Made'. I don't think that's a good sign if you haven't interviewed...

wow they reject ppl this early?? that's so mean haha. i was only complete since early September, too! they definitely didn't like me if they reject me within a month of receiving my app!

for those who had an invite to interview when did u send in the preinterview questions?

i m not sure what to take "within one week" to mean

because technically my answers would be due today if they mean "one week before your interview"

Members don't see this ad :)
Howdy, I replied to you, check your inbox..(sorry it's a little late)

for those who had an invite to interview when did u send in the preinterview questions?

i m not sure what to take "within one week" to mean

because technically my answers would be due today if they mean "one week before your interview"

Welp, my 'complete' status disappeared today as well. Haven't heard anything from them prior to this (i.e. no notification of being on 'hold'), and pre-interview of course. :scared:

Yesterday was the first day schools were allowed to offer any acceptances....has anyone heard back good news from SUNY Upstate?

PRE-INTERVIEW HOLD :mad:

well... ****. this is my second time applying to SUNY with high hopes of interviewing.

looks like there are a few people in my Hold boat too. what are your guys' thoughts? any hope?

I'm on Pre-Interview Hold now as well, as of this afternoon....I wonder how many people they end up actually interviewing from this category?

I'm on Pre-Interview Hold now as well, as of this afternoon....I wonder how many people they end up actually interviewing from this category?

I'm curious as well. I don't think anyone really knows unless we can find the thread from last year.

Does anyone think that there's ABSOLUTELY NO advantage to being a NYS resident when applying to Upstate?

yeap, pre-interview hold as well. im also curious to know how many ppl from this category end up getting interview. my stats are 31Q MCAT and 3.57 GPA. For those who are on hold, what are your numbers?

I'm curious as well. I don't think anyone really knows unless we can find the thread from last year.

Does anyone think that there's ABSOLUTELY NO advantage to being a NYS resident when applying to Upstate?

There's not as much of an advantage for being a NY resident in applying to Upstate as there are for other SUNYs, that's for sure.

IS: 1853 applied, 292 interviewed, 100 matriculated
OOS: 2218 applied, 292 interviewed, 43 matriculated

So the number interviewed is exactly the same (though slightly better IS percentage) but the number of matriculants heavily favors IS applicants. That being said, I have similar numbers to robocop1998 (check my mdapps) and I managed to get an interview with them.

There's not as much of an advantage for being a NY resident in applying to Upstate as there are for other SUNYs, that's for sure.

It has always seemed like there was no advantage to being a new york state resident for upsate. However, at my interview they talked about how last years class saw a change in this philosophy and they were going to start accepting more IS people. They said that the IS people were much more likely to practice in that area, so they wanted to recruit more of those kind of people.

Whether or not that is true is still to be determined, I just thought it was very interesting to hear that.

How did you guys find out about the pre-interview holds and when were you complete?

How did you guys find out about the pre-interview holds and when were you complete?

Sequence of events:

1) Your app status disappears.
2) You will receive email the following day, or sooner about your hold.

That's what happened for the majority, and possibly, all of us who are on hold.

IS: 1853 applied, 292 interviewed, 100 matriculated
OOS: 2218 applied, 292 interviewed, 43 matriculated

So the number interviewed is exactly the same (though slightly better IS percentage) but the number of matriculants heavily favors IS applicants. That being said, I have similar numbers to robocop1998 (check my mdapps) and I managed to get an interview with them.

This used to be the case. However, they now give more weight to instate status then they have in the past. Good luck.:)

I received an interview invite to SUNY Upstate but can't find it it in Interview Feedback. Am I blind? I can only find the other SUNYs.

Thanks!

(and for those of you wanting to know, I was complete Oct 3)

I received an interview invite to SUNY Upstate but can't find it it in Interview Feedback. Am I blind? I can only find the other SUNYs.

Thanks!

(and for those of you wanting to know, I was complete Oct 3)

Did you just receive it today?

Ok I figured it out...so to those as slow as me, it is linked as: College of Medicine at SUNY Upstate Medical University (SUNY-Upstate) so its not near the other SUNYs

Did everybody who interviewed at SUNY Upstate in September hear back from them?
It says the decision has been made on my application status and I haven't gotten any mysterious phone call so I'm telling myself that I'm rejected and my rejection letter making its way to my place,
but it's hard to let go.
So from what I hear, acceptances only come via phone calls?

I received the "complete" email on September 26 and received the "hold" email on October 16.

Has anyone received a pre-interview rejection? or only holds? I was also complete September 26 and have not heard anything back

It says the decision has been made on my application status and I haven't gotten any mysterious phone call so I'm telling myself that I'm rejected and my rejection letter making its way to my place,
but it's hard to let go.

Hey, yup i interviewed on Sept. 17th, got notified via email yesterday that I've been wait-listed, which is fantasticcc.

Hope u guys have better luck.

but it's hard to let go.

Well, acceptances are through phone calls, at least for now. I am not sure how (or if ) that will change as the process progresses.

i received my first invitation from upstate last wk. however, the earliest available interview date is the last week of january. i was hoping to interview there in nov or dec but i guess i will have to wait until the last week of january. i saw that they only interview mon/wed and third week of tuesday. that's somewaht limited...

i received my first invitation from upstate last wk. however, the earliest available interview date is the last week of january. i was hoping to interview there in nov or dec but i guess i will have to wait until the last week of january. i saw that they only interview mon/wed and third week of tuesday. that's somewaht limited...
yea, but this could also means they spend the rest of the week reviewing ppl interviewed the day before and you'll get a decision much faster. At least that's what I'm hoping

If you don't mind me asking, when were you complete?

Did any 10/06->later interviewers get any decisions?

Last edited:
Gah.... I just called admissions and my file has not gone to committee yet! I have to wait one more week...minimum... And I also interviewed on 10/6...

Complete Oct. 8, Interview invite on Oct 27, Interview on Feb 11 (wow, that's a long way away...)

Gah.... I just called admissions and my file has not gone to committee yet! I have to wait one more week...minimum... And I also interviewed on 10/6...

I'm pretty sure they only meet once a week and that that day is Tuesday or Wednesday where they review the applicants of the week before. I interviewed on 10/1 and was reviewed three weeks after (10/22) which is when I looked at my Application Status and it said "Decision Made." You interviewed the week after me, so I would say don't worry about it until next Wednesday at the earliest. I think they're trying to have 3-4-week turnarounds. You should get something in the mail by Saturday (maybe later; I live in NY so it didn't take too long to get to me). Good luck!

I have been completed since around August 4th and I haven't heard anything. My letters are marked as received clear back on Aug 27th. My online status is just blank, does anyone known what this means? Have they just not got to my file yet to decide about an interview? I have called but was just directed to check online. :p I always feel dumb talking to them after those messages. I am OOS.

Is this an open or closed file interview???

Closed file interview. I think they are trying this for the first time so that interviewers can focus more on the person and less on the numbers...

For those who are on hold, what are your numbers?

Finally got the nerve to join this site.

Complete: 9/5
Pre-interview hold: 9/17

sGPA: 3.30
cGPA: 3.24
MCAT: 24R (6/07), 27Q (7/08)...not bad considering I worked 60 hours a week during those summers and could only have one day off before the MCAT.

6 years research....few volunteer hours...lots of shadowing and amazing letters of recommendation.

Graduated from Cornell in May...working full-time at Tulane's School of Medicine...volunteering in an ER in New Orleans, tutoring HS students and volunteering through a local organization as a college admissions guide for inner-city HS seniors.

My residency status is in limbo....I lived in Upstate NY for 17 years...but I just moved to Louisiana. Upstate is still my #1 choice.

Franky....I'm surprised they didn't flat out reject me like they did last year. I applied to their Rural Scholars program and with disadvantaged status through AMCAS...maybe that's why I wasn't flat out rejected...but I think I'm still gonna have to pray for a miracle :oops:

Best of luck to the rest of you!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.