2008-2009 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interviewed 10/20... accepted 11/10

:) yay Upstate

Wow, that's a fairly quick turnaround... Congrats!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you :) I mailed in my Binghamton/Syracuse decision the day after the interview- that might have had something to do with the fast turnaround.

I have my interview 11/19 and I can't bring myself to finish these essays grrr

Members don't see this ad :)
did you guys get the decision made note on your status page before the acceptance?

did you guys get the decision made note on your status page before the acceptance?

I checked after getting the acceptance just now.. and it says "decision made"

THe interview information stuff disappeared

I checked after getting the acceptance just now.. and it says "decision made"

THe interview information stuff disappeared

I think upstate does not like me... I still have the Interview information!

me too! i interviewed on the 15th and i still have interview info....

My status changed to "Decision Made" about 1.5 weeks ago. I interviewed on 10/8 and was accepted by phone call today (11/10). No fears if your status says "Decision Made" for a while and you haven't heard anything yet.
Good luck everyone!!!!

so does anyone watsup with upstate's pre-interview hold. does anyone know for sure if someone has managed to get off it?

Members don't see this ad :)
i interviewed 10/8 and still haven't heard anything, does it seem strange that those who interviewed at a later date have already received answers?

yaa i'm not sure why that is but hopefully well hear something soon...well i mean only if its good news lol

does anyone know if "within one week of your interview" means anytime up to even the day before the interview? my interview is on the 17th, today is the 12th, i probably won't be able to get it in until the end of today since i've been so swamped with work! thats...5 days before the interview, technically "within one week" freakin language.

does anyone know if "within one week of your interview" means anytime up to even the day before the interview? my interview is on the 17th, today is the 12th, i probably won't be able to get it in until the end of today since i've been so swamped with work! thats...5 days before the interview, technically "within one week" freakin language.

Just do it ASAP. Someone at my interview got a reminder from them 3 days before the interview, because they did not turn it in. Good luck on the interview!:luck:

All the interviewers have in front of them is your essays so you really want to make sure you get those in. Otherwise they have nothing to talk about- they don't know your GPA, MCAT, ECs, etc.

Btw send your interviewers thank you letters

I sent mine in asap and maybe that had to do with the fast turnaround?

I just uploaded my essay (11/13) and my interview is 11/19 - do you think this will impact my application negatively? Or am I just being a neurotic SDNer

What exactly happened with your essays?

For whatever reason, my essays as transmitted were unreadable (all ascii garbage, all the time) to everyone in that office and my interviewers (blind interviews ftw?). It might have had something to do with me running on a wintel mac and not on a windows machine, but I haven't had issues sending word docs to anyone else running windows.... Anyway, I said I would send them as soon as I got back, but wasn't able to send them until two weeks later. Crazy schedules are crazy. :(

I just uploaded my essay (11/13) and my interview is 11/19 - do you think this will impact my application negatively? Or am I just being a neurotic SDNer

I did it 2 nights before the interview and I got in. They have no time to figure out who sent in what when. The essay is something your interviewer has on the day of the interview. It's like a conversation starter. The admissions committee probably doesn't care much about it.

relax :hardy:

I did it 2 nights before the interview and I got in. They have no time to figure out who sent in what when. The essay is something your interviewer has on the day of the interview. It's like a conversation starter. The admissions committee probably doesn't care much about it.

relax :hardy:
thanks =) so im just a neurotic SDNer

For whatever reason, my essays as transmitted were unreadable (all ascii garbage, all the time) to everyone in that office and my interviewers (blind interviews ftw?). It might have had something to do with me running on a wintel mac and not on a windows machine, but I haven't had issues sending word docs to anyone else running windows.... Anyway, I said I would send them as soon as I got back, but wasn't able to send them until two weeks later. Crazy schedules are crazy. :(

Ouch. Hey, atleast they have not been forcing you to wait for 6 weeks rather than 3....

For those accepted, waitlisted or rejected, how did Upstate let you know (email, snail)? What was the turnaround time like? 3 wks?

For those accepted, waitlisted or rejected, how did Upstate let you know (email, snail)? What was the turnaround time like? 3 wks?

I think I was just rejected - my status page went from "Complete" to "Decision Made," but without any interview invite. I'm guessing I'll get some hate mail in my mailbox in the next few days (snail?). For me, about 7 or 8 weeks.

Sigh.

S.

I got an acceptance call 3 weeks after my interview. I heard it can take longer though and they send mail for waitlist/rejections.

i've been waiting almost six weeks as well. hoping they will get to us next week, or i may go insane! just got an albany invite though so i'm feeling good at the moment.

Well I waited 4 weeks after my interview, but heard from them on Oct 15...

I think upstate does not like me... I still have the Interview information!
I submitted my application 9/22 and after 2 months I finally got tired of waiting. I called them this morning and asked if I was missing something, and their reply was, "No, but we misplaced it and just came upon it yesterday. Someone will be looking at it over the weekend and they will make a decision by Monday."

This news was very frustrating seeing as several people have already been accepted and in the meantime my application has not been looked at. I wonder how much this mistake will hurt my chances of getting into Upstate. At least I know that I will be hearing from them this Monday.

Last edited:
I think I was just rejected - my status page went from "Complete" to "Decision Made," but without any interview invite. I'm guessing I'll get some hate mail in my mailbox in the next few days (snail?). For me, about 7 or 8 weeks.

Sigh.

S.

I'm sorry to hear that :( Last year, the same thing happened to me. This year, my "Compete" disappeared and I received an email soon after - notifying me of a preinterview hold. I don't think much will come of this, however, so if it's any solace to you, at least you know instead of being dragged along.

hey what's going on with everyone else interviewed on the 6th of October...did everyone hear back except for me and funkydrmonkey?

hey what's going on with everyone else interviewed on the 6th of October...did everyone hear back except for me and funkydrmonkey?

They told me I should hear my decision this upcoming week... Which means in December I should hear something...:laugh:

Shoot!! I really wanted an interview but I am still on pre-interview HOLD (for over 1.5 months) I guess this is basically a rejection

for those of you who have written them ....how long were your essays?

for those of you who have written them ....how long were your essays?

I combined 4 previous essays for the first one and wrote a 5.5 page (double spaced) essay, and for the second one a 1.5 page essay. My student interviewer commented on how he liked that I wrote a lot because most people end up writing only one page for each essay, and this gave him more insight into my interests...

I had a dream last night that I got accepted to Upstate... Then I woke up, and I kept looking through my email and phone messages to see if it was real or fake... It was a VERY vivid dream... :(

I combined 4 previous essays for the first one and wrote a 5.5 page (double spaced) essay, and for the second one a 1.5 page essay. My student interviewer commented on how he liked that I wrote a lot because most people end up writing only one page for each essay, and this gave him more insight into my interests...

I had a dream last night that I got accepted to Upstate... Then I woke up, and I kept looking through my email and phone messages to see if it was real or fake... It was a VERY vivid dream... :(

Dude you got into Southwestern lol

I thought that one page per essay would be better because then you can expand on each item during the actual interview itself?

I thought that one page per essay would be better because then you can expand on each item during the actual interview itself?

Maybe that explains why I have not heard my decision yet... they are still reading my essay:laugh:

FIVE and a half?? damn! lol

do they read them for the first time during the interview or had your interviewer read them beforehand?

AAAA, my status just changed to "decision made"! i had an interview on 10/22 for anyone who is wondering. Now in my mind every second i dont get a phone call from them is a second closer to me getting a rejection letter from them. I can't deal with this... :(

My status changed to "Decision Made" about 1.5 weeks ago. I interviewed on 10/8 and was accepted by phone call today (11/10). No fears if your status says "Decision Made" for a while and you haven't heard anything yet.
Good luck everyone!!!!

AAAA, my status just changed to "decision made"! i had an interview on 10/22 for anyone who is wondering. Now in my mind every second i dont get a phone call from them is a second closer to me getting a rejection letter from them. I can't deal with this... :(
Exactly where is the "status" entry on the Application Summary page? Do you all mean those columns at the very bottom of the page that say "Requirement|Received|Note|Status?" Because my status column there is all blank.

I guess it doesn't really matter since I was put on hold way back in like August (I swear it was like 2 weeks after I sent in my app and then I get a hold), but I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

did any1 com off the hold list??/

Status
Not open for further replies.