2008-2009 UCSF Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ganesha123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UCSF just screened me for a secondary..I'll let you guys know what it says when I get back from work

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
UCSF just screened me for a secondary..I'll let you guys know what it says when I get back from work
"Give us $ and LORs" =p Fastest secondary ever. (That's what it was last year, at least.)

Congrats on the secondary :)

Are you instate? I just got an e-mail saying I was "ready for review to determine if you will be selected to submit a secondary application. This decision will be made any time in the next twelve weeks." However I am OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
got the good news from email?

Are you instate? I just got an e-mail saying I was "ready for review to determine if you will be selected to submit a secondary application.

Same here but I'm in-state

got the good news from email?

Yep, it was a followup email sent right after the "ready for review to determine if you will be selected to submit a secondary application" email.

It just asks for $, a photo, and LORs, with additional essays if you are interested in JMP, Prime, or MSTP

Yep, it was a followup email sent right after the "ready for review to determine if you will be selected to submit a secondary application" email.

It just asks for $, a photo, and LORs, with additional essays if you are interested in JMP, Prime, or MSTP

it's a follow up email that says you are selected for secondary? When were you verified?

I am getting really, really nervous.

it's a follow up email that says you are selected for secondary? When were you verified?

Yeah, it's a second email that says selected for secondary.

I was verified by AMCAS before the 6/24 release date. UCSF received my verified AMCAS app today. The two emails (app received and secondary granted) were sent within a minute of each other. Maybe they automatically send some out initially based on stats?

I'm guessing/hoping that it's an automatic secondary for some sort of cut-off with California residents. For us OOSers I think that they will actually take a look at our app before asking for more $. Those IS that don't have it yet I don't think means you were cut, you just might not have ridic stats. Sort of like Michigan's automatic interview stats.

I just called them.

They haven't downloaded all the applications from AMCAS yet. (I was verified on Jun 6th, so I should have at least received the email saying that they have my AMCAS and will be reviewing me within the next 12 weeks.) As soon as they get our AMCAS, they'll send us an e-mail telling us so.

So, if you're in the same boat, This means that we haven't been reviewed at all, not that we have been reviewed and not offered a secondary.

Lets keep our fingers crossed!

I'm guessing/hoping that it's an automatic secondary for some sort of cut-off with California residents. For us OOSers I think that they will actually take a look at our app before asking for more $. Those IS that don't have it yet I don't think means you were cut, you just might not have ridic stats. Sort of like Michigan's automatic interview stats.

For those who don't have it yet AND don't have the email even confirming that they have your AMCAS, it just means that they haven't even downloaded your AMCAS yet.

If you get that initial e-mail, but not the back-to-back one offering you the secondary, it may mean that you don't have ridiculous stats. (But I have no proof of this.)

By the way, do we mind if I ask a mod to change the title of this thread to 2008-2009 UCSF Secondary Application Thread?

Wow, for the first time, being a CA resident actually helps. Just got the secondary... woohoo!

Members don't see this ad :)
well, the one poster who got it has ludicrious stats. I wonder if there's a cut off for that.

Can you guys fill this out so that we can keep track of how long it takes to receive a secondary AFTER they download our AMCAS? (Basically, the date on the 1st email, and the date on the 2nd email)

I'll start with Rowerlauren's info since I still have none.

Rowerlauren
: AMCAS received: 7/16, Secondary Received: 7/16

Rowerlauren: AMCAS received: 7/16, Secondary Received: ???

I actually haven't gotten the secondary from UCSF... I'm not IS. That was my theory about being automatic for IS but OOS have to be reviewed before a Secondary is sent.

By the way, do we mind if I ask a mod to change the title of this thread to 2008-2009 UCSF Secondary Application Thread?

haha wow, OCD much? the OP can do this his/herself, the mods dont need to do it. you just go to edit and then advanced.

haha wow, OCD much? the OP can do this his/herself, the mods dont need to do it. you just go to edit and then advanced.

Oh I didn't know this. I've made a bunch of typos on my own threads and I've asked a mod to change them for me. He never told me I could do it myself!!!

I've also been asking him to edit thread titles which aren't consistent with the 2008-2009 xxx Secondary Application Thread format, so it makes it easier to search by title.

Okay, OP, can you edit the thread title?

I just called them.

They haven't downloaded all the applications from AMCAS yet. (I was verified on Jun 6th, so I should have at least received the email saying that they have my AMCAS and will be reviewing me within the next 12 weeks.) As soon as they get our AMCAS, they'll send us an e-mail telling us so.

So, if you're in the same boat, This means that we haven't been reviewed at all, not that we have been reviewed and not offered a secondary.

Lets keep our fingers crossed!

Thank god! Thanks for calling them Shemarty, I was freaked out for a second there.

Seeing UCSF and 2009 in the thread title almost gave me a heart attack. 1st choice school!

Anyways, UCSF has always screened in the past regardless of residency status, right? So it makes sense if they are screening everyone (IS and OOS) this year. I agree though that it's kinda weird that some people got secondaries seconds after getting the "your app is in review" email.

Anyone know for sure if they're giving out secondaries to all instate applicants now? Or maybe they're doing something similar to Michigan with the automatic secondaries for people with ridiculous stats?

Seeing UCSF and 2009 in the thread title almost gave me a heart attack.

You and me both! :eek:

Anyways, UCSF has always screened in the past regardless of residency status, right? So it makes sense if they are screening everyone (IS and OOS) this year. I agree though that it's kinda weird that some people got secondaries seconds after getting the "your app is in review" email.

Anyone know for sure if they're giving out secondaries to all instate applicants now? Or maybe they're doing something similar to Michigan with the automatic secondaries for people with ridiculous stats?

They definitely screen for in-state. Maybe they're giving automatic secondaries for high-stat people who are also in-state...that's my guess.

last yr when i applied, i got the e-mail about them receivin my amcas on 8/16 n then got the secondary the same day on 8/16, n they screen b/c some of my friends didn't get a secondary... hopefully i will get one again this year... i also almost got a heart attack when i saw this thread, hope all of us will get one

Oh I didn't know this. I've made a bunch of typos on my own threads and I've asked a mod to change them for me. He never told me I could do it myself!!!

I've also been asking him to edit thread titles which aren't consistent with the 2008-2009 xxx Secondary Application Thread format, so it makes it easier to search by title.

Okay, OP, can you edit the thread title?

haha i'm just givin you a hard time. ;)

I have similar stats to endposse, 39/3.93, and I only got the first email and not the second. But I'm also international, so that might be it.

Ganesha123: AMCAS received: 7/16, Secondary Received: 7/16
Endposse9: AMCAS received: 7/16, Secondary Received: 7/16
Funkydrmonkey: AMCAS received: 7/16, Secondary Received: 7/16
Bradstein: AMCAS received: 7/16, Secondary Received: ???
Costadelsol: AMCAS received: 7/16, Secondary Received: ???

Add yourself to this. I couldn't fully figure out everybody's status from their post.

Should probably add IS vs. OOS. I am assuming everying with a Secondary is IS.

Ganesha123
: IS AMCAS received: 7/16, Secondary Received: 7/16
Endposse9: IS AMCAS received: 7/16, Secondary Received: 7/16
Funkydrmonkey: IS AMCAS received: 7/16, Secondary Received: 7/16
Rowerlauren: OOS AMCAS received: 7/16, Secondary Received: ???
Bradstein: IS AMCAS received: 7/16, Secondary Received: ???
Costadelsol: OOS AMCAS received: 7/16, Secondary Received: ???

hey rowerlauren and people with stats a million times better than mine...seriously you'll get secondaries...:)))

Ganesha123
: IS AMCAS received: 7/16, Secondary Received: 7/16
dshnay: IS AMCAS received: 7/16, Secondary Received: ???

Ganesha123: IS AMCAS received: 7/16, Secondary Received: 7/16

I already added you! See above...

can you post the prompt when available? thanks!

can you post the prompt when available? thanks!

i don't think they require ANY essays unless you're applying to their special/combined programs (Prime, the Berkeley-UCSF thing, etc..) I think they just request $$, photo and your LORs.

So does anyone have a feel for this yet? UCSF would have the give some automatic secondaries based on stats and cut off some just based on stats, since they can't review all those applications the same day, anyone have an idea/estimate for these to cut off stats?

Also, if AMCAS sent the primaries out on 6/24 why does it say UCSF received them on 7/16? Is it that they received it last month, but only started to review them on 7/16?

Please someone let me know : )

So does anyone have a feel for this yet? UCSF would have the give some automatic secondaries based on stats and cut off some just based on stats, since they can't review all those applications the same day, anyone have an idea/estimate for these to cut off stats?

Also, if AMCAS sent the primaries out on 6/24 why does it say UCSF received them on 7/16? Is it that they received it last month, but only started to review them on 7/16?

Please someone let me know : )

My guess is that they gave some automatic secondaries based on stats - just a guess.

Also, my feeling is that AMCAS might have made the primary available to schools on 6/24, but each school can download them when they want. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So... I went to UCSF status page- and created an account and logged in.

They have received my application according to the website- even though i have NOT received the email saying they have...

It seems to me the emails are behind. This would explain how someone got a secondary right after the initial email. Check it out- don't wait for the email.

https://www.medschool.ucsf.edu/somaapplicant/login.aspx

They have received my application according to the website- even though i have NOT received the email saying they have...

It seems to me the emails are behind. This would explain how someone got a secondary right after the initial email. Check it out- don't wait for the email.

Man, you're right! Got approved without getting any emails; in-state here.

Awesome. Thanks for posting that!

Shemarty: IS AMCAS received: 7/17, Secondary Received: 7/17

SWEEEEEET! I didn't get the emails either. I agree, they're just behind on e-mails.

copingmethods: IS AMCAS received: 7/17, Secondary Received: 7/17

seven87: OOS AMCAS received: 7/17, Secondary Received: ???

Good luck to you all!! It's a very long process but entirely worth the wait. For those of you who interview, I'll see you in a few months!
Yours,
OFD

:thumbup: Thank you, you made my night.

Time to work on the other 5 secondaries I am dragging my feet through.

disorder: IS AMCAS received: 7/17, Secondary Received: 7/17

Last edited:
copingmethods: IS AMCAS received: 7/17, Secondary Received: 7/17
mdmarty: IS AMCAS received: 7/17, Secondary Received: 7/17
disorder: IS AMCAS received: 7/17, Secondary Received: 7/17

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.