2008-2009 UMDNJ-RWJMS Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh nice, thanks for the recon haha. Goodluck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone who was accepted:

What time did the phone call come? Or does anyone know what time the committee meets? My interviewer said he was going to try to get me into this review session...so just curious how long I should neurotically sit by my phone. Thanks.

All the information right here. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=7263471

Phone call comes around 6-7pm so probably right after they meeting is done. From my experience, and what they told us during the interview, it takes 6-8 weeks for a decision to be made, so don't worry if you dont hear anything today.

I saw on a thread from a previous year that people who interview in January are automatically waitlisted. Does anyone know if this is true or not? I was just invited for an interview in early January.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know the next time the committee meets is?

the rumor about interviewing in jan = waitlist is not true. in fact, last year they were way behind and did not fill the class until the later side of the cycle. I think they are about on time this year...so based on that I think interviews into late Feb. and March are the waitlist only interviews.

also, depending on the economy, more people may be going to their instate schools so that may change things as well.

Is anyone going to the Winter Reception today?

For those who received a final decision, what was the wait time? 4-6 weeks? Waiting for the decision....really, really want this so I can just accept and be done with the process. Slowly going insane.

I acutally have to send in a copy of my passport and that other form before I receive whatever decision they have reached

I interviewed in September and received an acceptance ~8 weeks later- it's not only dependent on the committee, but on how rapidly the interviewer returns the relevant forms. They mentioned on the phone call that the longer wait was due to the fact that the interviewer had taken a while to get the paperwork back.

Man I hope my interviewer got the forms in quick, my friend interviewed a week later and just got his acceptance. I was at the Camden campus so hopefully that doesn't delay things too long.

Edit: Yeah, second after I posted that I got the call, booyah! CO 2013!!!

Last edited:
Day man when was your interview? When does the committee meet?

I interviewed at RWJMS late September and received my acceptance October 15 -- about 4 weeks. But I think it all depends on the committee when you hear back.

I interviewed Dec. 5th in Camden. My good friend interviewed on Dec. 9th and also got the call yesterday. So the turn around time is ~4-6 weeks. Dr. Risimini told me the committee meets every other week on Tuesdays. Phone calls from 5-6pm. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw on a thread from a previous year that people who interview in January are automatically waitlisted. Does anyone know if this is true or not? I was just invited for an interview in early January.

me last year: interviewed end of january.

me now: wondering which free lunch lecture i should go to tomorrow. on one hand, the EM interest group has a good lecture, but the Army presentations always have good sandwiches.

NJDIF, just wondering how you liked school. Can you give any pros or cons? I'll probably be attending next year, thought I'd see some input from current students. Thanks.

Thanks NJDIF for giving me hope! Now I'm just nervous awaiting a decision from RWJ

Anyone know when RWJ stops interviewing in general? I've got a late February interview and just wondering how late that is for their cycle.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a spring second look day??? I know there was a Winter reception...but that was REALLY early.

They told me there was an accepted students day on April 24th in New Brunswick and another day in Camden that was not scheduled yet.

I went to an info session today and the admission's officer gave some insight into how this works.

After your interview, your interviewer writes a recommendation. Then, a second member looks at your application and writes a recommendation. At the next ADCOM meeting, the second person presents your application, while the other members ask him and your interviewer questions. Then they vote on one of the following outcomes:
Accepted, waitlist, delayed decision (couldn't come to a unanimous decision and will review application again in a month), or reject. If accepted, they will call. All outcomes also send a letter.

The ADCOM never stops accepting people. They will accept the last person they review even if the class is full. The relative full-ness of the class does not affect their decision. However, when the admissions officer will only allow a certain number of acceptances to be sent. When this number is filled, they will hold the acceptance and instead send you a letter that you have been placed on the "high-priority wait list." As room in the class opens up, the admissions officer will take names off of the list and officially offer an acceptance. The admissions officer said that they do everything possible to eventually accept everyone on the high-priority wait list, and usually succeed; in most years they will completly go through the high priority list and a portion of the ordinary wait list.

The admissions officer said that at the moment, they have *not* reached the max quota. The admissions officer also said that they are near enough to that number that if the ADCOM accepts a "normal" number of applicants, they will probably begin to place people on the high priority list in late February. However, a higher percent of acceptances or waitlist/rejections in the coming weeks may speed-up/delay this. Consequently, mid to late February interviewees should not assume placement onto the list. However, as the admissions officer told us that they have not started this list yet, I'd assume that after your interview you can ask and be told whether or not this point has been reached.

First of two rejections today, pre-interview. That took a while, but I was expecting it.

S.

you don't need it nanon, it's okay :) you got wisconsin

:soexcited:Just got the call from Dr. Terregino :soexcited:

I'm so excited!! :biglove:

Good luck to everyone who is waiting:luck:!

:soexcited:Just got the call from Dr. Terregino :soexcited:

I'm so excited!! :biglove:

Good luck to everyone who is waiting:luck:!
Wow...congrats. Is this your first acceptance ?. Good luck

Wow...congrats. Is this your first acceptance ?. Good luck

Yes :) thanks for asking. I'm still waiting post-interview at other places (including NJMS, it's been forever), but I loved RWJ so I'm thrilled. Have you heard from RWJ yet?

Hey everyone... just letting you all know I interviewed mid-December and just got a letter saying I'm on the wait list because the class is overbooked. Don't want to freak anybody out, but that seems to be the scoop.
Good luck!

Does anyone know when the spring reception is? I'm hearing in April, but it'd be great to know sooner rather than later.

Does anyone know what to make of the e-mail sent out today regarding technology requirements and how we have to buy either an i-phone or i-pod touch? The applications for the device they list are iTunes U, audio for M1 & M2, Schedules, CATS, Academic Modules (Modality). I'm not sure I understand the utility of the device because you can just use iTunes U on your computer. Anyone have any ideas why they would make us buy this?

Does anyone know what to make of the e-mail sent out today regarding technology requirements and how we have to buy either an i-phone or i-pod touch? The applications for the device they list are iTunes U, audio for M1 & M2, Schedules, CATS, Academic Modules (Modality). I'm not sure I understand the utility of the device because you can just use iTunes U on your computer. Anyone have any ideas why they would make us buy this?

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not fond of switching providers to get the iphone and the ipod touch seems like a waste since I already have a regular ipod. I think there must be some kind of application to it apart from itunes, since otherwise they would have said a regular ipod would work. Maybe there are medical applications that we're not aware of yet. Any current students want to explain?

Hey everyone... just letting you all know I interviewed mid-December and just got a letter saying I'm on the wait list because the class is overbooked. Don't want to freak anybody out, but that seems to be the scoop.
Good luck!

so is it true then that everyone who interviewed after mid-december has gotten waitlisted (or will be)?

Nope, I interviewed at the end of Jan.

It probably has a lot to do with how quickly your interviewer filled out the forms back in Dec/Jan... but at this point, anyone who is not yet accepted will probably first have to deal with a waitlist before getting in, since they've gone to the high-priority WL.

Pretty sure RW has a partnership with apple now, so they're one of a handful of medical schools getting some exclusive academic software. Luckily my phone broke a year ago so I ponied up for an iphone, but that's kind of ridiculous to ask people to buy one for school. The computer requirements are also pretty steep, ugh.

Are these receptions worth going to? What exactly do they entail? I'm in Atlanta right now so I'm debating on a making a trip home around that time so I can go. Anyone go to the winter one?

Can anybody who knows about the RWJMS curriculum comment on their grading system for the first 2 years? Is it entirely pass/fail? how do students distinguish themselves in these years and what is the "adv" (advanced) standing they mention on their curriculum website?

I have spoken with a few graduates of RWJMS to get an idea about the grading system, and it seems like the pass/fail system is new. Did they just start using it? I do not remember it being mentioned at the winter reception or the interview tour.

Thank you in advance.

Can anybody who knows about the RWJMS curriculum comment on their grading system for the first 2 years? Is it entirely pass/fail? how do students distinguish themselves in these years and what is the "adv" (advanced) standing they mention on their curriculum website?

I have spoken with a few graduates of RWJMS to get an idea about the grading system, and it seems like the pass/fail system is new. Did they just start using it? I do not remember it being mentioned at the winter reception or the interview tour.

Thank you in advance.

It is pass/fail. This is a new system; previously they were on a 4 or 5 interval grading scale.
I would assume that students distinguish themselves the same way as they would at other schools - research for instance. And then the last 2 years are graded so that is how they get distinguished academically.

I'm not sure about the advanced standing you mentioned.

The ADCOM never stops accepting people. They will accept the last person they review even if the class is full. The relative full-ness of the class does not affect their decision. However, when the admissions officer will only allow a certain number of acceptances to be sent. When this number is filled, they will hold the acceptance and instead send you a letter that you have been placed on the "high-priority wait list." As room in the class opens up, the admissions officer will take names off of the list and officially offer an acceptance. The admissions officer said that they do everything possible to eventually accept everyone on the high-priority wait list, and usually succeed; in most years they will completly go through the high priority list and a portion of the ordinary wait list.

That's awesome news. I interviewed in very late January and just received a letter that I am on the "high priority" wait list. I've been pretty anxious because this is the third wait/hold/alternate list I am on and still no acceptances yet. I guess it might still be a while until I find out for sure, but this info is reassuring. Thanks!

Has anybody here been offered a merit scholarship to RWJ? Current students or prospective students? I'm curious if they have any/much money to dole out as merit aid, and when in the process do they typically do that? If I haven't been offered anything yet, can I assume I'm not getting any merit aid?

Any input would be great!

whoa, they're making you buy an ipod touch or an iphone? this must be new for your year. thats pretty wild.

I interviewed the first week of feb and called them yesterday since it is now past the 4-6 week wait they told me to expect. The woman who picked up told me no decision had been made on my file yet and that I would be reviewed at the next adcom meeting in mid-april which means over 2 months of waiting! And who knows how long it will take after that for them to communicate their decision to me...this is all after it took them 3 months to mark me complete and 2 months after that to invite me to interview.

Slow school...at least for me.

I interviewed the first week of feb and called them yesterday since it is now past the 4-6 week wait they told me to expect. The woman who picked up told me no decision had been made on my file yet and that I would be reviewed at the next adcom meeting in mid-april which means over 2 months of waiting! And who knows how long it will take after that for them to communicate their decision to me...this is all after it took them 3 months to mark me complete and 2 months after that to invite me to interview.

Slow school...at least for me.
Applied twice. No interview last year and this year. NJ resident. Applied early in the cycle. No decision until march and then the letter of regret. No updates nothing till the rejection. Atleast you got an interview, being from NY (I think). Be positive.

i don't know what they told you about the itouch and iphones but i'm a second year here and i think the IT here is very lacking. I'm sure the people are nice but up until just last year we were still in the stone age with our computers. We were still using CRT monitors.

I know the head of the IT dept has been pushing iTunes U but no one i know uses it. It is more or less his pet project. I don't know what the other programs are that they say will be integrated with the apple devices, but I can tell you that the M1 and M2 lectures are all posted on the my.umdnj.edu "portal" page, which no one uses. They use to have all the lectures on the umdnj website on a calendar so you didn't have to log in to your my.umdnj.edu page just to retrieve audio lectures.

Everyone knows that M3 and M4 were still very feasible before the advent of PDA phones. There are computers on every floor for you to use. You don't need to have fancy devices.

We have yet to hear about this development so...this is just an uninformed opinion

Hi everyone, I'm a second year med student at robert wood, and I just wanted to comment on the technology requirements and the pass/fail system:

Don't worry about getting an expensive computer. Every student here has something different, some even have desktops, but most have some sort of laptop. A lot of people have been buying the $300 netbooks recently, and there is no reason to have to spend a lot of your laptop. Your laptop is for you, the school doesn't even see what you have. There is one program that is important for you histology class. Since it is so old, like mid-90s, its only available for PCs and not macs, but that has not stopped most students (as well as the school) from purchasing macs. You can use this program on many of the school computers, and while essential for the one class, it is not essential for the rest of your career. So if you have a mac or want one, stick to your guns. Everyone uses to school computers for this program anyway because its a large file.

As far as the itouch and iphone go.... they do have some pretty cool programs. Regardless of whether or not the threat that all students must have one is even enforced, it has a ton of convenient stuff, like medical spanish, drug programs, etc. With that said, you don't need it, but if you are going to buy something anyway, get the iphone or itouch. PS- unless you have verizon, forget about talking on your phone in school because you get NO service.

Pass/Fail- its amazing. Classes are HARD. I had a 4.0 in college, and, well lets just say that doesn't happen in med school. So except for about 1% of the class that gets 95's on everything anyway, this will work to your advantage.
Most residency programs don't care about your grades for the 1st 2 years. Literally, program directors have said "we don't care what you get in your academic years, as long as you pass." Thats all they look for. What really sets you apart is your board score and your grades 3rd and 4th year (which are actually graded, and not just pass/fail).

If you guys have any questions about anything, I'd be glad to answer them. Just send me a message.

Good luck with everything!

that is grossly overexaggerated. i have verizon and i only experienced problems with older and terrible phones like the krazor.

i have a verizon pda and it doesn't have many bars but i still get my phone calls and text messages without any problems. granted i have had to only resend two text messages last week (i have unlimited text), it really is not going to make me switch carriers.

my current opinion, until the the confusion is cleared up at lunch today is, don't worry about getting new phones until end of 2nd year. i don't see what required use they could have for the apple devices since the only modality programs are just electronic versions of your textbooks and some flash cards.

if you think about it, how did med students before us get by without pdas? it is honestly just a luxury. you are not going to whip it out and look stuff up in front of the residents or attendings. you will probably do it after they pimped you and you can easily find a computer at the nurses station or whereever and look it up. i wouldn't give up the convenience but mandating a specific carrier/product is a little absurd.

does anyone know where I can find a 3br society hill townhouse for rent?

Status
Not open for further replies.