2008-2009 Wayne State Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do we check our status for Wayne? I have only gotten this email from them:

"Thank you for your interest in Wayne State University School of Medicine. Here is the 2008-2009 Secondary Application. We look forward to receiving your materials."

I can't find any links on their website. Are we just supposed to call them?

Members don't see this ad.

"Thank you for your interest in Wayne State University School of Medicine. Here is the 2008-2009 Secondary Application. We look forward to receiving your materials."

anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)

I called, the committee already reviewed my application, and it's currently been placed on "hold" status :(

I know people are interviewing, I see them walking around looking all dressed up and serious. Seriously, if you get an interview, smile! They look angry about something....

I also find it funny that one I talked to said that he studied with the tv on, and after I said that was going to come to an end with med school he gave me the strangest look. silly pre-meds.... reality is a b****

I interviewed on the first available day there, and all you 1st year's seemed awesome. I remember 2 of the guys coming and talking and me giving crap about Matt Millen, and all the others students I passed wished me luck and smiled. I also think that your test just ended so everyone was in a good mood:)

I interviewed on the first available day there, and all you 1st year's seemed awesome. I remember 2 of the guys coming and talking and me giving crap about Matt Millen, and all the others students I passed wished me luck and smiled. I also think that your test just ended so everyone was in a good mood:)

I'd say we have a pretty good class this year. Not really sure about the year before mine, but our class has some pretty chill people. You guys will be the lucky ones though! The new library will be done by the time class starts next fall :thumbup:

just looking at the virtual fly through it looks like its gonna be awesome

I'll wish you luck, but you won't need it. Its a fairly laid back, no frills interview day. You could potentially be there for just one hour if you so wish. Got any questions, maybe I can answer them for you.

Oh wow. Why didn't this thread appear when I did the search for Wayne State? Actually, it might have been because I searched "Wayne State University", but at least I found this before it's too late.

Anyways, I have an interview coming up in two weeks (October 20). My secondary was completed on August 25, and I got the interview request about a week later. It's going to be my first interview of my life (I applied last year but went 0-12 without a single interview), so I'm understandably nervous, but from reading interview feedbacks it seems as though it's one of the less stressful interviews. Anyways, just wanted to check in and get to know some people who may be my future classmates. :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any previous applicants know how Wayne treats their 'Hold' applicants after submitting the secondary? Should we pretty much give up hope?

For those of you who interviewed here, how did you guys get from DTW Detroit Metro Wayne Airport to the campus?

For those of you who interviewed here, how did you guys get from DTW Detroit Metro Wayne Airport to the campus?

Tried to book that Metropolitan Shuttle that they recommended but I left multiple msgs the week before my interview and they never got back to me. The admissions office said they'd look in to it. I ended up taking a cab and it was a ridiculous $40 ride...

I rented a car. ~$30 bucks plus gas got me from DTW to my hotel, the hotel to the school, then the school to the airport.

Hm... what kind of OOS people actually get into Wayne State Med? Do these OOS-ers usually have some sort of tie to the state? or is it random. I'm worried, because if an interviewer asks why come to Michigan from Cali.... I'm gonna be like ... "uhm.."

OOS tuition is astronomical, I didnt realize it was so high and completely nonnegotiable (they wont ever consider you a resident)--huge turnoff for me during interview day there.

Oh no , not even if you live in michigan for 1 yr starting med school? Ugh

For those of you who interviewed this week, when are you supposed to call about whether or not you're admitted? I'm just curious.

Hey guys, Int student here, is it worth it to submit my secondary this late to wayne (my ref letters are already in) 3.87 and 11-11-R-12, I know I am very very late.

Hey guys, Int student here, is it worth it to submit my secondary this late to wayne (my ref letters are already in) 3.87 and 11-11-R-12, I know I am very very late.

You have strong stats but as an international it might be difficult. If you've already completed the essays (it's a long secondary) then I'd say you should go ahead an submit. It also depends on what your connection to the US is: have you been here for a long time, just arrived or not at all?

For those of you who interviewed this week, when are you supposed to call about whether or not you're admitted? I'm just curious.

They gave you a sheet which stated the exact times that you could call, but your decision will be available on Oct 22nd by phone.

Thanks for the info. I'm interviewing next week and I was hoping to hear back on October 22 and not have to wait until November 26, but I guess we'll see when I go for my interview.

If anyone else interviews later and can tell me when they're supposed to hear back, I'd appreciate it!

Looks like ya missed me...unless you were one of my tour guides. :shifty:
Anyway, anyone else there today (Wed) that is hiding behind their keyboard?

I briefly stopped by to say hi around lunchtime and to say the interview would be relaxed, so I guess that counts for something

Thanks for the info. I'm interviewing next week and I was hoping to hear back on October 22 and not have to wait until November 26, but I guess we'll see when I go for my interview.

If anyone else interviews later and can tell me when they're supposed to hear back, I'd appreciate it!

I heard that if you interview before 10/18 you should get a decision by 10/22. Hope that helps.

I think I remember that. You were one of the two dudes that poked his head in the door eh?

Wait, you guys actually went into the admissions office and sat there? I pretty much just showed up, talked to another interviewee, went to the office, picked up my info, went to see my interviewer, came back and finished up, then met up with a friend to go to lunch. I spent maybe 2 minutes all day in that office.. :cool:

Looks like ya missed me...unless you were one of my tour guides. :shifty:
Anyway, anyone else there today (Wed) that is hiding behind their keyboard?

Haha I couldn't even get out of bed, I've been feeling a little under the weather. How did you like it?

Whats up cheetos. Still cruising pre-allo these days my friend? Tell wayne to give me an interview before I break something.

So has everyone learned of their application status by calling them? I received an email saying I'm complete a couple of weeks ago and I'm wondering what's up.

Thanks.

Whats up cheetos. Still cruising pre-allo these days my friend? Tell wayne to give me an interview before I break something.

You know you don't need any of my pitiful help! How was your Michigan interview? How bout this, if (read: when) you get in I'll make my patented sandwiches that everyone loves so much :D

I think I remember that. You were one of the two dudes that poked his head in the door eh?

yep, even larger in life

I'm sure you guys will get in.... shoot I didnt interview till jan and I sat on a waitlist till june before I got in! you guys are waaaaaay ahead of the game

Hey guys,

From the newest MSAR book (orange cover), can someone provide me with the #of OOS applicants, # of OOS interviews, and total number of OOS matriculants.

Just outta curiosity... how much do doctors generally make in the Detroit area? (just if it's higher or lower than the national average?)

This really sucks sometimes. I really want to get in tomorrow when I call, but then i want everyone who applied to get in...oh well.. here is to the best for everyone !

I wish we didn't have to call, and that they'd send in an email.

Hey guys,

I'm waiting to call into Wayne state today but I just got an e-mail requesting I do the criminal background check. It says since I'm getting that e-mail, I have been conditionally accepted to one of the schools on the list. Think it's Wayne State??? Seems weird that they would send those out before the applicants are even notified. Did anyone else get this who is waiting for their wayne decision today?? (wondering if it might be the other school I applied at..but seems unlikely considering today is decision day for wayne)

That's right, I got one too. CONGRATULATIONS! It means we got accepted to one of the medical schools on that list at the very worst, at least it's how I interpret it.

unless they're doing background checks on waitlisters:scared:

Hey, I just got that email too... Cautiously excited!!! :scared::scared:

unless they're doing background checks on waitlisters:scared:

Just so you know, my detective skills -- on the sheet they gave us it said we would either be offered a place, placed under review, or no longer considered. So... no waitlist? Is this a good sign? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.