2008-2009 Wayne State Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will I get a decision on the 17th with an Interview on the 15th?

My guess is that you won't. If the adcoms somehow meet on the 16th, then I think that would certainly happen, though.

Members don't see this ad.

My guess is that you won't. If the adcoms somehow meet on the 16th, then I think that would certainly happen, though.

hmm what about an interview on december 4th, would that be considered for the december 17th acceptances??

Members don't see this ad :)
got an interview! dec 17th. does anyone know the next call-in date after the 17th? thanks!

Wow, out of state tuition of 58k/year --> does this make wayne state the most expensive medical school?

got an interview! dec 17th. does anyone know the next call-in date after the 17th? thanks!

For everyone's edification, the list of call-in dates that were given to us at the conclusion of the interview day were:

• October 1, 2008 (EDP only)
  • October 22, 2008
  • November 26, 2008
  • December 17, 2008
  • January 28, 2009
  • February 25, 2009
  • March 25, 2009
  • April 29, 2009
As always, you will also get a packet of materials in the mail a few days after that. Hope this is helpful.

hey guys

I was completed by September 19 ( secondary and ref letter) but my last MCAt released on October 14, I have not reicive nay news, is this mean rejection??? or just wait??

WOOT! Got an interview invite for December 22th. Anyone have any advice for the interview like what kinds of questions they ask? My housemate got drilled with problem solving questions at SUNY Downstate, and I'm deathly afraid of those...

sorry i got a stupid question...whats a call-in date??

anyway just for the record i was complete 28th of october and got my interview invite via US mail on nov1.

hey guys

I was completed by September 19 ( secondary and ref letter) but my last MCAt released on October 14, I have not reicive nay news, is this mean rejection??? or just wait??

Take a deep breath. Obviously they thought your previous MCAT score was sufficient for a secondary invitation as they screen pre-secondary. Just keep waiting. I heard that Wayne State tends to interview people in decreasing order of MCAT scores, so that might have something to do with it.

WOOT! Got an interview invite for December 22th. Anyone have any advice for the interview like what kinds of questions they ask? My housemate got drilled with problem solving questions at SUNY Downstate, and I'm deathly afraid of those...

Absolutely nothing like at SUNY Downstate. Look at the Interview Feedback section of this website to get an idea of what they ask. It's conversational, non-confrontational and relaxed. Just know what you want to say for the usual questions that you tend to get at medical school interviews.

sorry i got a stupid question...whats a call-in date??

anyway just for the record i was complete 28th of october and got my interview invite via US mail on nov1.

You'll find out when you go interview there. But if you must know now, you call in on these dates to get your final decision. At the end of the interview day, they will tell you which date your decision will be available.

Does anyone know if there is there a sizable asian-american population at Wayne State University?

Does anyone know if there is there a sizable asian-american population at Wayne State University?

It depends what kind of asian. there's a lot of Indian students, but not as many Chinese. I think it said 9 in the MSAR, but I don't know for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
so im now interviewing on the 4th of december, so ill probably hear back by the 17th call in date. Does anybody know what the acceptance rate is here for out of state applicants after being interviewed??

Our current class is incredibly diverse. There is a little bit of everything in our class, and I would say that most groups are well represented. Now are you asking about Asian decent, or off the boat Asian? Cause there are both groups but those of Asian decent are more in number.

With a class of 300, you will find a group of people you can relate with, trust me ;)

any new info on wayne state? interview invites/holds/waitlist? this thread has been silent for 3 weeks or so...

next call in date is november 26th. i guess we're waiting for that.

Called today after 1pm as they instructed. just have your amcas ID ready.

Last edited:
Sorry if this is late, but I used 313-577-1466. The line was busy for literally 45 minutes.

Anyways, I found out that I was being offered a spot. It's my first acceptance, so I'm so happy. :)

Sorry if this is late, but I used 313-577-1466. The line was busy for literally 45 minutes.

Anyways, I found out that I was being offered a spot. It's my first acceptance, so I'm so happy. :)

ditto!

Congratulations to both of you.

So I called yesterday to check my application status after my interview and found out that I'm under further review.

What does this mean exactly? Do I still have good chances?

i think it means you're on the waitlist. but i think you still have a really good shot. prolly in the range of 60% shot. i actually expected to be waitlisted, but was surprised.

Still on pre-interview hold. Time to lose hope? :(

Thank you for the quick reply. I know they accept a lot of students so hopefully that works out to my advantage, especially this early in the application cycle. Gotta keep my chin up!:xf: I got into college on waitlist so why not medical school?

the hardest part of the whole process is getting the interview. at this point, the school says to itself, ok, this person has the potential to succeed, now lets see how genuine and human they are. the hardest odds involve gettign the interview in the first place, but once you do, odds are you will get in somewhere cause most people get more than one interview (i.e. alot of schools are looking for the same stuff.) ive been waitlisted at jefferson, but im not too worried. i got a 60-80% chacne of getting in off the waitlist there up until june or july. im just happy the wayne state acceptance came by to give me some peace of mind.

and for thost still waiting for an itnerview note that wayne gives about 800 per year. they've only had 2 rounds of offers so far, so really they are only about a 4th through the rolling admissions yearly cycle. there is still great hope for an interview.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Sorry for asking again if someone has already asked it but, when is the interview day over for wayne?

depends on when your interview is scheduled. the tour is midday (around noon) some people have the interview scheduled beforehand and decide to wait for the optional tour at noon. others who have their interview scheduled for the afternoon rather than the morning can choose to come at noon for the tour if they want, or just show up for the interview.

mine's scheduled for 10:30am. How long is the tour? an hour? Thanks for the help

tour plus lunch is about an hour (slightly over) maybe an hour and fifteen. so after your interview (since yours is in the morning) you can stick around for an hour or so for the tour to begin.

Anyone wanna make a FB group? Or 100% sure they are going here?

I would love to once I hear about an acceptance :)
Since they have such a large class, I think a facebook group would be very helpful.

a lot of people have been posting about pre-interview holds
how did you find out about this?
i have not heard anything from them since turning in my secondary in early sept
do they send you a letter? email? if you are on a pre-interview hold list?

In my experience, the WSU Admissions notify all status changes by mailing letters. If you want to make sure they have your app and/or there hasn't been a status update you could always e mail or call the office. They're really nice people.

just interviewed here.. i liked the fact that they have so many hospitals and oppurtunities for medstudents, but the only downside was that the actual classrooms and buildling were kind of beat-up looking and old.. but they are supposedly building a new building right across the street which will have a library and some offices and stuff in it. the students there were really nice/down to earth and so were the staff.

does anybody know how good of a chance an OOS person has of getting in if they have interviewed?

http://www.med.wayne.edu/admissions/applying/statistics.asp

The statistics for last year are on this website. Looks like about 19% of OOS applicants who interviewed were matriculated, whereas 47% of In State applicants who interviewed were matriculated. I assume more students were "accepted" than "matriculated," but I'm not sure about that.

You would probably assume right. Many OOS students get into another school with cheaper tuitions and do not matriculate to WSU. More are accepted, but not nearly the number accepted from MI.

Did many of your classmates get accepted after being placed "under review?"

Yes, but after calling in on a specific date after the interview and being told that you're "under review" as opposed to being offered a spot or no longer considered for admission.

are you "under review" as in on the waitlist or has the committee just not had a chance to review it yet? At the interview they did mention that it is possible they haven't reviewed your app yet on the day they tell you to call in on, but it doens't mean they're looking at your application negatively. They simply just did not have the time to review it at the last committee meeting.

Yes, but after calling in on a specific date after the interview and being told that you're "under review" as opposed to being offered a spot or no longer considered for admission.

That's not a bad thing. It just means you haven't been accepted yet. They review your application every month before the call in date. They only accept a certain percentage of the class each month. So every month you have an equal chance of being selected.

I just got an interview invite for Jan 9! Any one else comin that day? I am so excited...I did the BMS program at wayne and I would love to go to the school next year :oops:)

I just got an interview invite for Jan 9! Any one else comin that day? I am so excited...I did the BMS program at wayne and I would love to go to the school next year :oops:)

congrats:)

Complete since early September and no news yet. Now I'm getting worried.

so anybody else anxiously waiting for december 17th??

I just got an interview invite for january 5th!!!!!!!!!! wahoooo.. this is my first allopathic invite... so im pretty excited, i was complete way back in early september and finally got it!

Does anyone know if it is easy to reschedule interview dates???

Status
Not open for further replies.