2008 ADEA GPA ranges

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1999TL

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, i'm seeing these ranges and a lot of schools have a 2.76 to 3.85 gpa range. I mean, shouldn't this give hope to the sub 3.0 club? That means quite a few schools have ppl with less than a 3.0 getting in. I meant, with all the schools added up and even if only one person had that low of a gpa, all the schools added up gives hope.

Members don't see this ad.

My brother told me that his friend got in a couple yrs with a 2.8 and a 22 on the DAT to Houston. Now, their lowest gpa seems to be a 3.22

Do you mean a couple years ago with a 2.8? Times have definetly changed in the last few years, it is extremely more competitive now than it was then. I personally have not talked to anyone at my school that was accepted with below a 3.0. Are there people getting accepted with sub 3.0 GPAs? Yes, but I believe they are far and few between.
If you are really passionate about dentistry and absolutely convinced you will go to dental school no matter what, then sure there is a chance. If you are just thinking it might be a nice profession and not really sure... maybe you should have some sort of back up plan, but I would still apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mean a couple years ago with a 2.8? Times have definetly changed in the last few years, it is extremely more competitive now than it was then. I personally have not talked to anyone at my school that was accepted with below a 3.0. Are there people getting accepted with sub 3.0 GPAs? Yes, but I believe they are far and few between.
If you are really passionate about dentistry and absolutely convinced you will go to dental school no matter what, then sure there is a chance. If you are just thinking it might be a nice profession and not really sure... maybe you should have some sort of back up plan, but I would still apply.

Oh I'm applying. If I dont get in this yr, I'm reapplying. I will still be taking classes even though I could graduate in the May just in case I dont get in.

for 2007, University of the Pacific had a range of 2.65 -3.95 for sciences. Total GPA was 2.72-3.95. Dat ranged frm 17-24.

those are likely hardship/disadvantaged, visible minority individuals no?

in that case, being Asian does not help.

Getting in with lower stats is possible but very rare. All it takes is one of these people to be accepted to a school in order to stretch out that lower bound and skew the range. More than likely these applicants have only one sub par area (i.e., GPA or DAT) and not both.

Do a search on www.predents.com
There is a pretty good sample size there. See what percent of those applicants received acceptances with low stats, especially in more than one area. (not many)

Are these the GPA's that are calculated how the AADSAS calculates them(when you take a class twice and average the grade) or are they calculated differently, meaning just the overall without factoring the retakes.

Schools are not interested in how hard your life was or how disadvantaged you were or if you are a minority - you dont get into school just cause life was more difficult for you - they are looking for how you overcame those hardships/disadvantages and what kind of person you are because of them. Just because you have a tough life and a low GPA/DAT doesnt mean it is any easier to get into dental school.

Are these the GPA's that are calculated how the AADSAS calculates them(when you take a class twice and average the grade) or are they calculated differently, meaning just the overall without factoring the retakes.

I am pretty sure those are the AADSAS GPA.