2008 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geficktesham

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey,
anybody getting things together for the 2008 application cycle? it seems like all i am finding is stuff about people interviewing and being accepted for 2007. any 2008ers out there?

Members don't see this ad.

hey,
anybody getting things together for the 2008 application cycle? it seems like all i am finding is stuff about people interviewing and being accepted for 2007. any 2008ers out there?

Wait until may when the 2008 AADSAS app comes out. Then all the 2008 pre-dents are gonna start coming out of the cracks, asking the same questions as the previous 2007 applicants asked a year ago. It will be another rebirth of SDN.

Just you wait till May - all the dormant 2008 applicants will kick into high gear. In the meantime keep scanning all 2007 posts for information that can come in handy down the line ...
Welcome to SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey..im applying for 2008...im going to try to get things together soon.:D

i'm a 2008er! but i'm so behind :(

i hate my computer

hey...where is everyone planing on applying to?

2008 applicant right here.

I think all the 2008 applicants should read all the threads from the 2007, that's what i'm doing. You get RAPED in here if you ask overly repetitive questions...ie:
1) This school vs. this school (every possible combination has been made just look, lol)
2) Anything about the DAT, LOR's, Shadowing, etc.
3) Medicine vs. Dental
4) Asking about specific schools, search it first, there are SO many threads on the pros and cons for most of the schools.
5) Ranking system for the schools. (There isn't one)

That's just what i've learnt, i've tried to observe before I asid anything, you'll get ripped....lol

I think all the 2008 applicants should read all the threads from the 2007, that's what i'm doing. You get RAPED in here if you ask overly repetitive questions...ie:
1) This school vs. this school (every possible combination has been made just look, lol)
3) Medicine vs. Dental
4) Asking about specific schools, search it first, there are SO many threads on the pros and cons for most of the schools.

That's just what i've learnt, i've tried to observe before I asid anything, you'll get ripped....lol

Thank You:) :) ;)

i'm applying for the 2008 cycle too...yea, you can say that i'm a bit stressed about the whole process of applying

Members don't see this ad :)
2008 applicant here, too.

I'm sure I have already asked my fair share of what others consider to be 'basic' questions, but what I am so impressed with is the fact that I haven't been ripped on. Well, at least not too much :rolleyes:. So many of the guys who have been through it already are genuinely willing to help which makes this place so great.

Best of luck to all 2008ers!

Quick random question...

The current edition of the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools is the 44th ed. For those of us applying during the 2008 cycle, is this the edition to purchase or will they be coming out with the 45th very soon? I tried searching their website to see if it said when the next edition would be out but had no luck.

3) Medicine vs. Dental

Hehe, you'l only get ripped if you ask these types of question this late in the cycle. Most of these questions are expected to be asked every cycle mostly because everything on SDN is opinion. Thus, every cycle the opinions may change. during the 2008 cycle, the predents of this cycle who discussed these topics will have probably have moved on to the dental forum or has become less active in the predent forum. so please, ask what you want and eventually you'l be the ones ripping on newbs who ask questions that by then would have been discussed like 14 times 2 months before.

Im a 2008`er and fairly new to this forum! Good Luck to everyone. Anyone write their personal statements yet?

ahhh 2008 person here....STRESSING...it's like you wake up one day and realize you are so freaking BEHIND!

ok so i work 40 hours a week, i'm taking physics II, physicsII-Lab, Organic II, organic II lab, and Biochem...and just signed up for the online kaplan course, i have no free time at all, maybe i'll see my family and friends sometime early 2008 :) ...and then it's like um ok and when do i write that personal statement...and when do i volunteer HA HA ha!, i hope having a charming personality works, cause community service is very scarce...so are sleeping and fun

i want to take my DAT in may...um yeah during finals...ok yeah i should move that...but i wanted to have my application in by june 1st...reading through last years students post...and its good to see that they sound alot like us.

and what makes it worse...i'm missing american idol!!!!
i just have this vision that i'll get called for an interview and i'll feel like the people on AI who beg and plead for them to let them go to hollywood... PLEASE let me into Dental school!!!!
will grovelling get you in? you know so i can practice that and add it to my list of a million things to do!

Quick random question...

The current edition of the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools is the 44th ed. For those of us applying during the 2008 cycle, is this the edition to purchase or will they be coming out with the 45th very soon? I tried searching their website to see if it said when the next edition would be out but had no luck.
The current edition is for the entering class of 2007. You'll have to wait until September-ish before the next edition comes out containing the entrance stats for the (soon to be) previous cycle.

I am a 2008'er as well. Am I the only one who won't have a bachelor's degree? I am kinda nervous, but I am gonna go for it...I'm 25 and running out of time....Good luck to everyone!

I am a 2008'er as well. Am I the only one who won't have a bachelor's degree? I am kinda nervous, but I am gonna go for it...I'm 25 and running out of time....Good luck to everyone!

i really want columbia or uconn or someplace close to home. i am checking in with the schools to maybe tour them and see it in the flesh. anybody else?

2008'er here...WOOHOOO!! Hmmmm... sorta...I'm freakin out already

i really want columbia or uconn or someplace close to home. i am checking in with the schools to maybe tour them and see it in the flesh. anybody else?

I don't care where I go, just as long as I get in!

So glad to see 2008 applicants.
I can't wait till I apply!! May 15th is the day.
But yeah..I am worried about my stats. My science GPA is not that good (3.3 ish). I'm going to be applying to about 20 schools. I hope I could get into at least ONE!! But yeah. let's be friends..lol

Hi. 2008er here. WTF? I'm already APPLYING TO IT. Wow this is scary. Haha!

Have you guys taken the DATs? I hear it's much better to apply early but I fear that I won't do as well on the DATs w/o having the entire summer to study :( Is it better to get a lower DAT score and apply early, or get a higher DAT score and apply late? :O

Oh well. :( I really want to go to NYU, Columbia, or somewhere in the East!

2008'er here too! =)

yay! c/o 2008

career services already gave their spiel about what we have to do to get our committee letters... for me, the fun has already begun....

Hi. 2008er here. WTF? I'm already APPLYING TO IT. Wow this is scary. Haha!

Have you guys taken the DATs? I hear it's much better to apply early but I fear that I won't do as well on the DATs w/o having the entire summer to study :( Is it better to get a lower DAT score and apply early, or get a higher DAT score and apply late? :O

Oh well. :( I really want to go to NYU, Columbia, or somewhere in the East!

Apply to late with any score and all seats could be taken... I should know :(

I will be applying very early this year and also retaking DAT to try to bump up my science score.

alright cool. so it looks like the general trend is to try and get your DAT done ASAP.

What if you send in your app early but your DAT later? Are you still considered a late applicant?

<----2008'er over here! :cool: I'm really excited to start getting my things together! (And by excited I mean totally nervous, with those pesky little butterflies in my stomach already starting to take flight). haha. I can't wait to talk to you guys more! :rolleyes:

ahhh 2008 person here....STRESSING...it's like you wake up one day and realize you are so freaking BEHIND!

ok so i work 40 hours a week, i'm taking physics II, physicsII-Lab, Organic II, organic II lab, and Biochem...and just signed up for the online kaplan course, i have no free time at all, maybe i'll see my family and friends sometime early 2008 :) ...and then it's like um ok and when do i write that personal statement...and when do i volunteer HA HA ha!, i hope having a charming personality works, cause community service is very scarce...so are sleeping and fun

i want to take my DAT in may...um yeah during finals...ok yeah i should move that...but i wanted to have my application in by june 1st...reading through last years students post...and its good to see that they sound alot like us.

and what makes it worse...i'm missing american idol!!!!
i just have this vision that i'll get called for an interview and i'll feel like the people on AI who beg and plead for them to let them go to hollywood... PLEASE let me into Dental school!!!!
will grovelling get you in? you know so i can practice that and add it to my list of a million things to do!

lol I know! I'm in the same boat..... I guess it's a necessary sacrifice.

I will be applying 2008 cycle... can't believe how fast time has gone... I have been reading these boards since 2005 cycle ;) Anyway, I've been talking to professors about recommendations, scheduled a meeting with the pre-med committee at the school I'm doing post-bacc at (I graduated college in 2004 with degree in graphic design... started taking science courses part-time in Jan '06), and started studying the Chem portion of the DAT (I definitely do NOT have a great background in Chem!) I plan to take DAT in late June, but have all other materials in mid-May!

Hope all goes well... the next few months are going to be stressful! Good luck...

As far as I'm concerned the 2008 process has already begun. I fully intend on submitting in May and having my DAT follow shortly thereafter. Based on the horror stories with those having solid stats and being wait-listed or not getting in at all...there is no way I'm submitting late.

Quick random question...

the 45th is out now, as of like a week ago

I sooo wanna go to NYU!!! i was planning on taking dats like in August..but applying in mid may...not enough time to study for dats now so i decided i would take the summer to do it and then take the test in august. Hopefully i wont get screwed..but with my luck who knows:confused: :laugh:

2008 right over here! Attempting to get everything situated and take my DAT's by May no later than June. Really difficult with full-time school, full time work and studying for the DATs.....Keeping my fingers crossed!!:D

Welcome to the "club" toothy...and everyone else. Heres to all of us getting in this cycle! I am getting pretty anxious already and it's still a few months out! Good luck everyone!

Yes, it looks like I'll be a re-applicant as well!

i'm trying for 2008 as well...just as nervous as everyone else...and feeling behind with everything! I wont have orgo. 2 or physics 2 finished by the time i submit my application, is that a bad idea? i'm taking my DAT's in early june but i was also wondering about LOR's...i dont know my professors that well..how do i go about that?

Hey I'm applying for the 2008 cycle as well. The next few months are going to be crazy for all of us but hopefully in the end, all the blood, sweat, and tears will be worth it. I've done so much to prepare for the whole app. process but in a way I still feel like I don't know enough or am behind. Anyone else feel this way?

Hey everyone....I am applying in May.....I am way nervous and am studying every day for the DAT. I am using Kaplan and find it is pretty good as far as PAT preparation. I am hoping to get into Loma Linda and really really really hope that I get in on the first try.:eek:

I am a 2008-er, well I am re-applying so I have been through the wonderful process and I am not looking forward to it this time around...

Hey everyone! I am applying this year for the first time. Good luck to everyone! I will be taking the DAT in August and applying in June to dental schools:). Boy am I nervous:(

Count me in.....working on my LORs and personal statement ...hope i get in sumwhere. Wut r ur top choices?

Prereqs done...
Bachelor's done...
I'm ready to apply in May, but I will send my DAT scores in probably around July.

We really can't lose this thread....

Roughly 2.5 months left before the app opens....

Anyone else finishing up ochem II this semester? I really hate it...haha!